JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was getting the new Shield ready to carry today, which entails running a couple hundred rounds of varying types (aluminum cased, hollow point brass, ball, +p, etc) loaded in mags in random order, and drop testing a cocked pistol on an empty chamber to see if the trigger resets. Gave it a quick breakdown and lube as well. Get out to the spot, pop in a loaded mag, and the slide release sticks. This malfunction occurred repeatedly. Took the pistol apart, didn't see any issue, put it back together, happened again.

After some quick Google-fu, I decided to to a bit more thorough clean, focused on spraying a foaming cleaner on/into/under the slide stop and working it back and forth,up and down. Spring tension was good, so it's not that.
Check.
Decide to take a nylon brush to it and scrub the area around the slide stop. There was a small piece of some sort of grit that was the cause, or must have been, because I have not had the issue after.

Don't carry an untested firearm.

Excellent advice.
I bought a pistol a couple of months ago that I've been itching to carry (P30sk... a halo piece to me) but haven't been able to shoot it yet.
I have 0 doubt that it's reliable and will function 100%... it's an HK fer crying out loud.
Buuuut.. no carry until we shootee. That's coming next weekend.
About dam time, too.

Excellent advice.
I bought a pistol a couple of months ago that I've been itching to carry (P30sk... a halo piece to me) but haven't been able to shoot it yet.
I have 0 doubt that it's reliable and will function 100%... it's an HK fer crying out loud.
Buuuut.. no carry until we shootee. That's coming next weekend.
About dam time, too.
I have a new Glock 19 that I haven't shot yet that i didn't bring today. Want to carry it as well and am kicking myself.

I have for the life of me never understood carrying a gun you have not tried. Have seen it a lot. The little pistol Wife bought just before this hoax lock down was bugging hell out of her. She wanted to carry it. I kept saying not until we can try it. She has seen me buy a new gun and have to break it in to make it work yet she was ready to just take that new gun with her. I won't even carry new mags until I try them out.

Its not something I've always practiced. If either the shield or glock were the only pistols I had, i'd carry them regardless, simply because I didn't have anything else.

Its not something I've always practiced. If either the shield or glock were the only pistols I had, i'd carry them regardless, simply because I didn't have anything else.
I have long said even though I do not own a Glock as I don't care much for them, they would be first choice if I could not try. If I had to buy something and could not shoot it before depending on it a Glock would be first choice.

I have long said even though I do not own a Glock as I don't care much for them, they would be first choice if I could not try. If I had to buy something and could not shoot it before depending on it a Glock would be first choice.
Generally I agree.
The G30s was an anomaly. Although, as I understand it, if you're going to have an issue with a glock, it will be one of the Gen 3s chambered in .45. If they made the G30s in any newer gen I would have gotten it.

I won't carry a new gun without 300-500 thru the pipe first. Used I can do 50-100 if it's already had a decent amount thru it.

For the shields I just do the sling shot method once the slides open. The release is a little stiff at first so I only use it for a slide stop tbh.

I won't carry a new gun without 300-500 thru the pipe first. Used I can do 50-100 if it's already had a decent amount thru it.

For the shields I just do the sling shot method once the slides open. The release is a little stiff at first so I only use it for a slide stop tbh.
The problem was that i couldnt get the release to disengage when i pulled the slide back.

I agree with not carrying a gun you have not shot. I sat on my Jericho for a couple of months until I was able to put a couple hundred rounds through it. Ahh, much better now. As far as a piece of crud stopping up the whole works, if my gun was compromised by a small piece of crud I would reassess my brand loyalty. Just saying.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top