JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just experienced a wake up call that I wanted to Share and reinforce to those that CCW for personal protection. Especially new gun owners.
Been carrying for going on 25 yrs now (just realized I'm getting old typing that). I was taught to function test your weapon with at least a couple hundred rounds of your carry ammo before you trust your life to it.
Yes, I always run a few boxes through new guns to make sure weapon likes the ammo.
Yes some weapons are more picky, but I've never come across a "quality" new firearm that didn't run...till now.

I find my favorite "go to" carry piece is a pocket pistol. Because it's also become somewhat of a collectors item now, I decided to buy a new Kimber Micro Carry and stop the wear on my pocket gem (Colt Govmnt Pocketlite with custom work from C&S).
Lots of experience with Kimber. Never a problem. Love the brand. Since the new gun is a near clone to my 20+ year old friend, I cleaned, lubed, dry fire practiced, and cycled a couple mags through the action to make sure she feeds. Check. I put her in my pocket with the idea of going to the range that day with a few boxes to shoot. Well, that didn't happen. Carried for two and a half days before I made the range. Load up 4 different mags with ball ammo. First mag, slow fire, sites are on as expected. Next mag, 4 bangs, click! Huh? Tap rack, bang, bang. It happens. Next mag, FTE, Next mag, stove pipe.....10 stoppages of some type in less than 100 rounds. Never even got to the SD rounds.
I had carried an unproven and unreliable self defense weapon for several days. I know better, but did it anyway. I fell into the modern, lackadaisical path that made me trust my life and the life of others important to me on a tool I assumed to work. When it comes to life and death situations, this is not acceptable.

I don't post this to knock Kimber, so far they have been great with customer service and the gun is in the air to their smiths. I'm mad at myself. I know better, but did something I'd rip one of my loved ones for.
DON'T skimp on the function test with your defense tool. Make sure you KNOW it works before you carry it. I cringe to think what may have happened to me in the gravest extreme and having similar malfunctions.

Yes i agree.
No matter what brand or caliber. It took 2 sessions to burn various choices of ammo and reloads to get there. But
My micro 9, has passed the break in test and is in the edc line up.

And at other range times it has still given me the 100% results. Hope you can get yours running without a trip back to the factory.

Last Edited:
same thing with NIB Sig P938. After ~200 rds of FMJ it proved reliable, but there is no way I can afford to test various SD rounds (HP).I wonder if there is something about this type of compact 9mm?

let us know the results when you get it back.

Guess we've been lucky, my gals 938 has been through the break in test with the same rounds as my Micro 9 and with the same 100% result.

Thanks for sharing! Must of been a bit hard. :) And, yep, I never carry until a firearm proves itself! It might be that I need to prove myself with that gun. I'm not a limp wrister, yet! But, I've had a lot of damage to my hands and wrists, who knows what comes next!
Hope that Kimber gets her fixed for you! :)

It's always a good idea to carry an old gun until a new one it's fully broken in and of course tested. Does it always happen, heck no. I've done it.
Also reminders to carry everyday. I usually keep a pistol in my truck full time, but I went on vacation so it went in the safe. The week I got back I had a road rage incident where a guy followed me for about 10 miles and had a verbal arguement in a parking lot. Luckily the guy didn't go crazy. But I remember my favorite gun prayer, "let my last thought not be, if I only had my gun"
Never again.

At least with a full size 1911 if it hiccups or I run out of 9 boolits, I can use it as a club:p.

My SCCY has one FTE once after a torture test of not cleaning it - the other 799 rounds all fired as expected (though I did find I had to adjust my grip for the small gun or I'd risk hitting the mag realease:oops:).

Practice, practice, practice?

Great story, thanks for sharing and reminding us to follow what we know and not get complacent:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top