JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is a well done and apparently accurate rating of SD ammo. I have it saved in a link just for researching new ammo possibilities. The data has caused me to begin switching out 115gr 9mm for 124gr JHP in my SD weapons. Now considering 147gr in 9mm. Fun stuff.

For an "OLD DESIGN" the Fed Hydroshock loads still look really good until you get to .45! That sucks! Looks like it's time to re think that load! Nice thing is the Remingtom Golden Saber not only works really well in almost every load, its always been the go to for heavy loads! Great test and will be checking back often to see what else they yest!

Very well explained; this the kind of information people should be study and be able to understand and reference when making choices about what defense round they choose.
It's exactly why I developed my personal defense round with the kind of performance in mind that this study shows: a Hornady 9mm 147gr XTP/BT +P doing an average of 1070 fps (5.4gr Power Pistol) and increased power recoil spring to make my Ruger P85 highly manageable for follow up shots. That, topped with custom target sights installed, and regular range work and drills, (El Presidente, customized course work, etc), combine to make an effective weapon.
Imagine it's winter, and someone has a leather jacket on and some kind of stimulant in them, even just adrenaline: 18" of penetration just got to be a lot less than that. This is more common where I live so that's what I'm thinking of with a extra power round.

Last Edited:
I'm glad to see the 9mm Speer Gold Dot 115gr doing well given that it seems to be one of the most readily available defense rounds in the shops I've visited. I'd like to use some HST rounds, but I haven't seen them in stock anywhere.

Interesting and nice work. Too bad there's no +p+ 9mm.. which is loaded to the same pressure as standard 40S&W.. which are usually built upon a prior/existing 9mm platform.. and the 9 has a thicker case. interesting

People debate this all the time; it means nothing if you can't put your bullets on target. Bullets that penetrate deeper are better than those that don't; but getting them on target to do their job is more important than the particulars of speed, expansion, energy etc.

I know of no documented cases of anyone surviving a 5 round burst to the face in any caliber. Put them there, the fight is over.

Before I buy ammo, I check for gel tests to see if it expands and if it penetrates far enough. Beyond that, I don't worry too much about the tests, but I do try to pick a name brand (Federal, Winchester, etc.) and I do try for a bullet weight appropriate for the task.

You would be dismayed (or maybe not surprised - I wasn't) how much cheap ammo from overseas that advertises itself as JHP or JSP or "soft point" doesn't expand or deform at all because the jacket is too hard and/or too thick.

I have some "JSP" ammo from overseas that has a projectile that attracts a magnet! So either steel core and/or steel jacket with a copper color/plating.

It may be that 80% or whatever percent you can name will not have to shoot.
I wouldn't want to count on any study or percent when I am in that situation again.
Having been in that situation , it sucks no matter what the outcome.

Always good to try various ammo to see what works for your gun no matter what the sales ad or any expert claims.
Andy

Statistics are great as far as they go.

E.G., someone might say I stand more of a chance of getting hit by lightning than winning the lottery - except I never play the lottery so I have zero chance of winning, so that stat is meaningless.

Stats apply to the general sample the data comes from, but if the conditions don't apply to you then they are not applicable - duh.

A lot of the crime stats come from areas where there is a lot of crime, usually densely populated urban areas with poverty - so if you live on a mountain in a small affluent forested neighborhood where the median income is six figures and home values are between $500K to $2M, and the distance between homes is 200 meters or more, with almost no crime beyond the occasional dumping of trash (no - the deputy didn't come and take twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one), the crime stats regarding gun fights probably don't apply there either.

Wow, making friends and influencing people! What exactly makes you such an expert that you would come here and pizz in every ones soup with your superior intellect and vast life experience! calling some ones personal choices stupid while espousing your own as better isn't going to impress upon any body that any thing you have to say is worth hearing!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top