JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not that I expect the news to correctly report anything, but I was under the impression that CHL holders are allowed to carry on school grounds. It may be against policy for employees...but I didn't think it was illegal. Anyone smarter than I care to clarify for me?

<broken link removed>

public school on public land? its ok with CHL. Chemeketa CC in salem sent out a letter to students saying thats its OK to carry on campus with a CHL. i prob. still have a copy of the letter they sent my wife 6-7yrs ago. on private land? owners discretion. worst they can do is trespass you.

thats my understanding atleast. also, my understanding is concealed means concealed. sounds like the teacher failed to conceal.

I get why he was placed on leave...just the following line of the article seemed incorrect.

"It is unclear if Johnston had a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Regardless, it is illegal to have a weapon on the schools' property."

I thought it was legal too.

"Lillian Govus, the Salem-Keizer School District communications director, said she could not confirm if the weapon was loaded."

^^^this comment irritates for some reason. As if that idiot could make any determination about the safety of the weapon whether it was loaded or not.

public school on public land? its ok with CHL. Chemeketa CC in salem sent out a letter to students saying thats its OK to carry on campus with a CHL. i prob. still have a copy of the letter they sent my wife 6-7yrs ago. on private land? owners discretion. worst they can do is trespass you.

thats my understanding atleast. also, my understanding is concealed means concealed. sounds like the teacher failed to conceal.

CHL will get you a pass on public school property, inside and out. I believe the only restriction is if the specific school department says otherwise...

Concealed means concealed... in other words, don't ask, don't tell...

CHL will get you a pass on public school property, inside and out. I believe the only restriction is if the specific school department says otherwise...

They cannot regulate citizens carry - tge courts gave them power to regulate employee behaviour insomuch as they can be fired. Cannot be criminally charged.

FAKE NEWS quote wasrnwarpaint
99.9% of KATU reporting is bogus. That being said..I totally believe this story...
<broken link removed>

The only question remaining, was the victim named Anthony ?

Last Edited:

Specific school departments cannot say otherwise, it is public property so with a CHL you're perfectly fine. Even if they have a sign that says no firearms it would not apply to those with a CHL.

In Wa, you can carry on the school grounds while picking up or dropping off students. You may not enter the building.

For correct informations sake;)

Same with the Post office, you cannot carry it into the building or out of your car. Your car is an extension of your domain, I think that is how it is phrased.

Last Edited:
Same with the Post office, you cannot carry it into the building or out of your car. You car is an extension of your domain, I think that is how it is phrased.

I don't have time to look up the RCW right now but it doesn't say anything about cars. On foot is fine.

The PO is federal and a whole other can o worms.

FAKE NEWS? Dunno. Possibility. If on or in OREGON PUBLIC SCHOOL property and you have a valid OR CCL on your person, you can conceal pack and the school officials can just go pound sand. You are legal.

School employee? Illegal term of employment. Like illegal aspects of some contract. Null and void. But ... the school district can afford good attorneys and the school employee Union probably just rolled over on it.

But ... If YOU are discovered and called out by some school official, always try to be discrete and not make a mountain out of a mole hill. Sometimes an OPTIONAL respectful "retreat" can works wonders. But be polite.

But But Again. If you perceive or recognize some real tactical or strategic safety situation you have every right to politely resist the retreat request by the school. Just have a good reason to do so. Can they kick you out?

Public school property in Oregon.

Just for having a concealed handgun on your person? With an OR CCL? Legally no. Practically speaking? Probably maybe. Certainly situational. Use common sense. THE SCHOOL FREE KILL ZONE MUST BE MAINTAINED!

I am not a lawyer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads