JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Already has this - for muzzle-loading and nothing prevents you from using your #1 Remington rolling block sporter (modified for .357 Mag) in any rifle deer hunt you draw for or general. I understand where you are 'going' with the 'primitive' issue but a SS centerfire cannot really be considered 'primitive' - and as previously mentioned

Forgive my ignorance, but why the need separate hunts in the first place? I suppose I can understand a bow hunter getting upset over stalking an animal for a long time only to see it shot by someone from further away, but other than that I don't get it. Are there substantial safety issues?

You can always put a pair of barrel inserts in a side by side shotgun and make a decent double rifle.

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

I have plans to buy a Stoeger coach gun with 20" barrels and exposed hammers in 12ga and then by a pair of MCA 45-70 x18" long barrel inserts for it. I might buy a set of 30-40 Krag barrels as well since I shoot that caliber in my 1895 Winchester.

Cost would run about $450 for the shotgun and then $300.00per pair +s&h for the barrel inserts.

You can always put a pair of barrel inserts in a side by side shotgun and make a decent double rifle.

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

I have plans to buy a Stoeger coach gun with 20" barrels and exposed hammers in 12ga and then by a pair of MCA 45-70 x18" long barrel inserts for it. I might buy a set of 30-40 Krag barrels as well since I shoot that caliber in my 1895 Winchester.

Cost would run about $450 for the shotgun and then $300.00per pair +s&h for the barrel inserts.
What will you do for sights? A bead works OK at 20-30 yards for shotguns, but not so well for rifle shots out to 100 yards.

Put what ever sights your shooting requires on the gun. They make rifle sights that will easily work on a side by side shotgun. Mount the sights on the rib between the barrels and they can be easily removed. If I get a chance to build the one I want I will most likely set it up to use multiple sight systems.

I bought a .308 years ago and didn't think much of it. It shot fine but boring. When I got a .30 cal suppressor, I took the rifle to Kevin Ridling, had him shorten and thread the barrel. It is now a dedicated subsonic rifle. A 220 grain Hornaday RN at 1000 fps, that sounds like a pneumatic nail gun. I take that rifle out allot more now. AAC did the same thing to .300BLK. A really cheap suppressor host with no action noise like an AR, and less money than a bolt gun.

I've had a 45-70 Handi-rifle for to many years to remember. I originally bought it for a "truck gun," and have taken several nice mule deer's with it over the years. It's very light and surprisingly accurate out to 200 yards using Honady LEVERevolution .325gr. hollow-points with a 4-power scope.

And I've never ever had to shoot anything twice!

Addendum to that article - In case you weren't aware, stoppage of the Handi-Rifle production also mean stoppage of Topper/Pardner shotgun production.
Although there were two variations on that receiver (SB1 and SB2), its all gone now.
According to Remington, "H&R 1871" will continue on marketing its line of imported shotguns (i.e., the auto and pump).
Sad. Very sad. :( ( :mad: )

...however, the break action single is not totally dead.
There is a company called Legacy Sports that currently markets something they call their "Pointer Break Action".
I understand the guns are imported from Turkey and very much have the appearance of the Topper/Pardner shotguns (with the exception of 3 safeties).
They're available in 12, 20 & .410 with 28" fixed modified choked barrels.
There is also another imported gun from a company called Khan, which markets a design similar to the old Beretta folding shotgun.
The K100 is available in 12 and .410 with fixed chokes.
The shotguns are also available in 6mm & 9mm rounds, along with 8mm & 9mm Flobert rounds (they don't say which 6 & 9mm rounds).
Lastly, although rumours persist otherwise, Rossi still features their single shot rifles and shotguns quite prominently on their website.
So, while the single isn't totally dead, the stoppage at H&R sure has taken a lot of wind out of its sails.

Dean

Apologies, jluck. I should've included this link in my prior post - <broken link removed>

Also, here's a little more advertising on youtube -

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads