JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know how using some of the same letters of the alphabet can result in copyright infringements. Maybe the U.S. should sue Us magazine for using the same letters.

Or maybe Luger should sue Ruger. This all gets pretty ridiculous.

But if a company devotes so much time and money over a lawsuit, they must think there is a chance of winning. :confused:

Or maybe Luger should sue Ruger. This all gets pretty ridiculous.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg ent%2Fuploads%2F2022%2F02%2FDickson-Luger-5-scaled.jpg

As you can plainly see the two rifles are almost identical..,
1710627232739.png

SCAR = Special Forces Assault Rifle
SFAR = Short Frame Autoloading Rifle (corrected)

FN's panties are in a wad because if you say "SFAR" as one consonant it could sound like "SCAR" if you were heavily intoxicated. I've always heard it pronounced S-F-A-R. IMO FN should stop taking estrogen injections and worry about real things. Nobody confuses the two.

In further news FN is now preparing lawsuits against automakers over the word "car".

Last Edited:
I read the entire complaint.
I think FN has a slam-dunk.
This is basic "trademark 101" you'd get in any BA business degree.
Just my opinion
TWYLALTR
Cheers

Then they oughta also go sue Star Firearms of Spain because "Star" could be pronounced similarly to Scar and Sfar? :rolleyes:

Now, if Ruger's rifle had looked more like the SCAR rifles, then I can see that being an infringement.. just like Fiat/Chrysler sued Mahindra for "trade dress" (Roxor front "looking too similar" to Jeep), and Glock suing S&W for the Sigma pistol designs...

🤣 @The Heretic - good one!! Take that Ruger.

(Technically, the above would be patent infringement. In the US patents have a 20-year life span.)

But I doubt in the 1950's when Ruger came out with the Standard model, post Nazi Germany Walther company was willing to pursue a complaint, nor would US courts have given it much traction - given Walther's tiles to old Adolph and everything.

Last Edited:
A lot of guns have more or less copied the look & feel of the Luger. That is kind of what I was pointing out.

But it would be the working mechanism that would be the the most likely target for a patent infringement. There have been some copies (to a point) of the toggle mechanism and some outright copies too.

Personally, I think FN's suit is BS and a "reach". I suspect they won't get far with it.

The auto companies should sue FN for including the letters "CAR" in the trademark, since it defames their products by tying them to acts of violence by military personnel. I'm sure there is a racist or discriminatory connection there as well! ;)

Edit to add: The SCAR is indeed capable of "full-auto"

Okay. I too think this lawsuit will fail too.. because the SFAR is descriptive of Ruger's gun..

Small
Frame
Autoloading
Rifle

"AR15-308" is too clumsy.
"AR10SC" runs afoul of Armalite :rolleyes:
"SR308" might get KAC lawyers after them

so.. what exactly should Ruger have named this version of 308 AR in AR15 size?

It is literally an AR15, with .308 magazines, specially modified bolt carrier, bolt, unique firing pin, completely redesigned barrel extension.. upper and lower are identical to standard AR15 architecture, except for a few differences (magwell and ejection port sizes), and a few other things.

Lots of pics here.

so the SCAR is a piston driven 7.62x51 or 5.56x45 rifle (SCAR-L/16s and SCAR-H), totally different operating system, different bodies, different barrels...

The only thing alike is that Ruger used S _AR :rolleyes:

A lot of guns have more or less copied the look & feel of the Luger. That is kind of what I was pointing out.
And my mention of Luger/Ruger was not because of their shape, but that they were only one letter different. And in Japan, Ruger and Luger are pronounced the same. :D

If we were suing over the shape, maybe Nambu should sue Ruger because the Ruger Standard auto emulates the shape of a Type 14.

300px-Ruger_Standard_Pistol_wood_grips.jpg 1024px-Nambu_pistol-IMG_6531-white.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads