JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Was the Juice worth the squeeze?

• Yes, everyone should have one.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • No, not worth the hassle.

Votes: 23 24.7%

• Total voters
Obviously, I don't know what the process is like everywhere but it is very easy at my local PD. No appointment. Just walk in. The lady at the front counter takes your $20 and gives you up to 4 copies when you are done.

Come to think of it, I think I still have a couple of copies in the safe. Maybe I should put those to use some how. :)

I was quoted $40-$50 when i called around before. Hence why i ordered the cards. If they dislike them, I may just do the kiosk route. That way all my forms, prints, and trust is in one place. Though I only have one more SBR on my list and only two cans really.

Our local PD does them for $25 for a couple, but they don't scan anything. I think the Sheriff's Department is about the same, cost-wise.

You can, of course, just take your own. That is completely kosher:

Q. May a Federal firearms licensee fingerprint a customer? As an FFL dealer, can we fingerprint our customers?

A. Fingerprints may be taken by anyone who is properly equipped to take them (see instructions on ATF Form 1, Form 4, Form 5, and Form 5320.23).

Instructions on the Form 1.

e. Photograph and Fingerprints. An individual maker (including any Federally licensed collector who is an individual but not any other type of Federal firearms licensee) must (1) attach to each copy except for the CLEO copy in item 12 of the ATF Form 1, a 2 inch x 2 inch photograph of his/her frontal view taken within one year prior to the date of the application and (2) submit two properly completed FBI Forms FD-258 (Fingerprint Card with blue lines) with application. The fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and taken by someone properly equipped to take them.

All you need is the cards and an ink pad. They can be bought on Amazon or at a business supply store for less than $10.

Yesterday I did eFile this time. Took me about 15 minutes to file it online, and to print cover letter. Today on the way home stop by 2020 paid 30$ for fingerprints, in-our 15 minutes. Dropped off everything at usps 10 minutes in-out. I used flat rate envelope costs me 7.35$ but it will be deliver to them on Monday.
Impo it's hassle free and really easy to do.

If you decide to get silencer try to build it your self. It would cost you 150$-250$ to build it. But waiting time is a lot shorter.
Homebuilding a monocore baffled can would be quite a challenge for 99.9% of enthusiasts. Baffle stacked cans sure. They just won't have the same performance.

I have 2 cans that have been in purgatory for 18 months. I am about to file a couple form 1's to get some joy this summer. Current times are ~30 days on a form 1. Still want to SBR a couple things as well.

Careful dipping your toes in the water...it feels pretty good once you get in :cool:

Careful dipping your toes in the water...it feels pretty good once you get in :cool:

Haha, correct. Once I figured out how easy the whole NFA thing was, I, how to put this, not dip the toes, but dive right in. Lots of fun and it will continue; working on the next project. Seriously, friends, don't worry, but take the plunge. And have any questions, hey, your friends here will gladly assist. :s0155:

Mono core baffles that would otherwise be impossible to create with traditional machining equipment are now being created by 3D printers with ease. The time and cost of said units are considerably lower. There is a company called 'Delta P' that makes a 3D printed suppressor that is not only full auto rated on a 50 cal Browning M2, it's also more compact than most traditional .338 cans. The future is here Bois!

Last Edited:
It really bothers me that a firearms publication is still referring to a 'suppressor' as a 'silencer', but alas, I digress.
Why? That's what the guy who invented them named them and that's what every piece of paper I have to fill out to buy one calls them. What they do is besides the point. Suppressor is an apologist term.

I must disagree. Even the quietest firearm with a suppressor isn't silent. There's always some noise created. So the muzzle attachment is 'suppressing' the noise created, attenuating it to a much lower level, not 'silencing' it. I rarely apologize.

It doesnt matter what it does. Silencer is a name not a function. You could take one, weld up the end and fill it with concrete . It would still be a silencer. The inventor named the device he invented a silencer and they were marketed and sold as Silencers for 70 years before some hack Soldier Of Fortune writer decided they could sell more of them to government agencies if they changed the name to Suppressor because Silencers were portrayed as evil in the movies and government procurement officers wouldnt put their name on an invoice if it said "Silencer".

It's a silencer on every legal form I've seen. Suppressor is more technically correct for its function, but isn't the correct legal term.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top