JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Was the Juice worth the squeeze?

• Yes, everyone should have one.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • No, not worth the hassle.

Votes: 23 24.7%

• Total voters
I'm going to have to measure the LOP on my newest Rattler pistol. It has the adjustable brace and seems like it might go over 13.5 fully extended. May need to go on a SBR lower.

I suppose one could put it that way. I have zero use for them. My shorties are stamped. And I'm working on another one at the present. :)

Busted as in arrested? It has most assuredly happened, even if the odds are incredibly unlikely. One recent one was the Wright case. The accused eventually prevailed; beat the wrap, but not the ride. I'd be my bottom dollar he was financially destroyed in the process. Two c-notes is insanely cheap insurance, considering the hourly rate of an attorney who provides defense at the federal level.

Suum cuique. :s0155:

I want that bottom dollar.

"The other good news for Mr. Wright — besides the not guilty verdict — is that while the entire ordeal was no doubt extremely stressful, his defense didn't cost him a thing. Wright was represented by a court-appointed attorney and came away owing not a dime. The cherry on top is that the ATF and US Attorney were publicly embarrassed for prosecuting a frivolous case, one with a couple of gaping legal holes that never should have seen the inside of a court room."

ATF Suffers Rare Court Loss in Ohio Unregistered 'Short Barrel Rifle' Prosecution - The Truth About Guns

I want that bottom dollar.

"The other good news for Mr. Wright — besides the not guilty verdict — is that while the entire ordeal was no doubt extremely stressful, his defense didn't cost him a thing. Wright was represented by a court-appointed attorney and came away owing not a dime. The cherry on top is that the ATF and US Attorney were publicly embarrassed for prosecuting a frivolous case, one with a couple of gaping legal holes that never should have seen the inside of a court room."

ATF Suffers Rare Court Loss in Ohio Unregistered 'Short Barrel Rifle' Prosecution - The Truth About Guns

Interesting results; thanks for the update. Two thoughts come to mind:

Court appointed attorney in a Federal case? No thanks.

And this has got to be the ugliest AR build in history:

wrightcomp.jpg

:s0112:

I can't believe 11 people voted 'not worth the hassle'. Buncha Nancies
A lot of people really think braces are the be all, end all and will never be bumpstocked away by executive orders. $200 is chump change in the firearm parts world. Lights, scopes, stocks, trigger groups, and rails can cost that much, but people don't hesitate too bad there. I don't feel anyone WANTS to have to pay it, but it's not like its prohibitive to enjoying your guns. It's unconstitutional and without a doubt an infringement, but not as bad as it was when it was introduced. Inflation has sort of sunset claused its effectiveness away over the years. However, the hardcore moto chest thumpers will always parrot some bumpersticker phrase and talk tough about noncompliance while paying 40% in taxes everywhere else in their lives...:rolleyes:

Had to change my rattler pistol back into a SBR after reading that Wright ruling. The brace setup was just too long and LOP wasn't 'ideal" . I kind of like getting all the SIG parts together anyway.

jRneTa.jpg

A lot of people really think braces are the be all, end all and will never be bumpstocked away by executive orders. $200 is chump change in the firearm parts world. Lights, scopes, stocks, trigger groups, and rails can cost that much, but people don't hesitate too bad there. I don't feel anyone WANTS to have to pay it, but it's not like its prohibitive to enjoying your guns. It's unconstitutional and without a doubt an infringement, but not as bad as it was when it was introduced. Inflation has sort of sunset claused its effectiveness away over the years. However, the hardcore moto chest thumpers will always parrot some bumpersticker phrase and talk tough about noncompliance while paying 40% in taxes everywhere else in their lives...:rolleyes:

I completely agree. But it's their game, their rules, and I quite like to play. As far as I'm concerned, $200 Is a great deal compared to the possibility of total loss of my gun rights and/or jail time for being willfully ignorant. I have an ATF approval letter for both SBR, and suppressor (copies of anyhow) rolled up in each battery compartment of my Sopmod stock. I can adult LEGO my SBR into anything, with no fear of being outside some silly ruling. I'd rather it that way, than constantly worrying the ATF is gonna show up and shoot my doggos.

Lol. Pretty sure I am not..... But would love some sources to be proven wrong.

once you register it as a sbr it is what it is as it is in the national registry. and you cant change it. the serialized item is now always a sbr unless you remove it.

if they trace it by serial number it will hit in the registry. even the atf will tell you that. you cant go back to a pistol unless you remove it from the registry and to become a sbr you need a new tax stamp.

it is a regulated item , put a brace on it all you want its still a sbr

once you register it as a sbr it is what it is as it is in the national registry. and you cant change it. the serialized item is now always a sbr unless you remove it.

if they trace it by serial number it will hit in the registry. even the atf will tell you that. you cant go back to a pistol unless you remove it from the registry and to become a sbr you need a new tax stamp.

it is a regulated item , put a brace on it all you want its still a sbr

What you are saying is not what I have heard.

Once an SBR.... OK it's not an SBR unless its configured as such. Gotta have a barrel and stock on it. I can take all the hardware off any one of my SBR's and sell the bare receiver without paperwork...period. I can also put a long barrel on it and sell it as a rifle or as a pistol if configured as such. SBR's are NFA but only when they are together as a SBR. In other configurations they are basically just parts. They do not follow the same rules machine guns do. I can put a long barrel on a SBR and cross state lines without a 5320.20 because if it's not configured as an SBR its NOT an SBR.

There is no legal requirement to remove an SBR from the registry.

From the ATF FAQ and if you have contrary opinions in writing I'd love to see them...

Q: I possess a properly registered SBR or SBS. I intend to strip the receiver and remove the barrel prior to selling the receiver. Is the bare receiver still subject to regulation under the NFA as a SBR or SBS?
A stripped receiver without a barrel does not meet the definition of a SBR or SBS under the NFA. Although the previously registered firearm would remain registered unless the possessor notified the NFA Branch of the change, there is no provision in statute or regulation requiring registration of a firearm without a barrel because its physical characteristics would make it only a GCA firearm pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(B). If the subsequent owner buys the receiver as a GCA firearm and installs a barrel less than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS), the firearm would be subject to a $200 making tax and registration under the NFA by the manufacturer or maker of the SBR or SBS. Because registration depends upon the stated intent of the applicant, there is no provision to allow registration of a NFA firearm by anyone other than the maker or manufacturer.

Last Edited:
Obey the law. Do what you want after you've done so. It really makes the gun community look disorganized (and thus intimidating) when we have people constantly trying to push the envelope while trying to be non-compliant just to buck the system. Get your tax stamps, then run your mouth.

Obey the law. Do what you want after you've done so. It really makes the gun community look disorganized (and thus intimidating) when we have people constantly trying to push the envelope while trying to be non-compliant just to buck the system. Get your tax stamps, then run your mouth.

Compliance is knowing the law is and complying with it. If the law requires a SBR to have a certain barrel length, OAL length then that is what the law requires. If a pistol can have many of those attributes but not all that an SBR does then follow the law as you see fit. In many cases given recent ATF rulings it is not necessary to get that $200 tax stamp to have 90% of what you'd have to do to have the same basic functionality of an SBR with less paperwork hassles .

Just shot my 9KT at the Friday steel match , which they wouldn't have let me do as a braced pistol. Also carbine matches and USPSA matches are open to SBR but not braced pistols.

IMG_20190531_205538.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads