JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Was the Juice worth the squeeze?

• Yes, everyone should have one.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • No, not worth the hassle.

Votes: 23 24.7%

• Total voters
I've been considering getting my NFA form 1 for a SBR build but I've been on the fence if it would be worth the hassle as I already have a 300 BO pistol I build last year.

So for those that have jumped through all the hoops, was it worth it?
It really wasn't that big of a deal. Fill out a form, write a check, include a copy of my trust, and send it all in. This was before you had to get prints and include photos for a trust. I did 2 at one time. The MP5 clone was totally worth it to SBR. The AR, I don't know as I haven't built it yet. I think it will be.

Having a SBR'd lower is kinda cool, you can pretty much do anything you want with it other than making it a MG.

One thing: it is a small PITA to get the paperwork done, keep up with it, yada yada, so, IMHO, use a nice lower like Noveske, Radian, Knights, etc. You're going to have it for a while and your name's going to be engraved on it, so get a nice one that's going to be 100% on spec. I call it the Doc Brown Theory of SBRs.

With all lowers made by 2 or 3 companies and specs pretty much spot on all the time save for a few really low tier companies I say dont waste money on a big name $$$ lower. Nothing kills resale value like an SBR stamp so why spend more than you have to?

With all lowers made by 2 or 3 companies and soecscpretty much spot on all the time save for a few really low tier companies I say dontcwaste money on a big name lower. Nothing kills resale value like and SBR stamp so why spend more than you have to?

Resale? Guns are like dogs, the door only goes one way.

Also, there is *definitely* a difference between lowers w.r.t fit and finish.

Resale? Guns are like dogs, the door only goes one way.

Also, there is *definitely* a difference between lowers w.r.t fit and finish.

There used to be a difference in spcs on lowers before ALL the manufacturers adopted 9002 Standards and Six Sigma practices. I have owned 50+ lowers over the years and the last off spec lower I encountered was over a decade ago. The 90's was a wash in crap lowers. Not today.

Took a month for my form 1 and it is my favorite to shoot. Going to buy different uppers in various lengths and calibers so I can slap them on and have more fun. Still waiting on my can and Barrett SBR that are on form 4s.

2872D0A2-84BB-49C1-BB9B-DA1C8421FF4E.jpeg

Yes. They would like you to inform them of caliber and barrel length changes but not so much that they actually provide an official form to do that. .

I just sent in an efile form 1 today in fact... took me 3 days to get everything scanned and compiled, but only 15min to upload and file.
How do you handle the fingerprints? Where did you get them done. Is there an option outside of the Sheriff's office?

I suppose one could put it that way. I have zero use for them. My shorties are stamped. And I'm working on another one at the present. :)

Busted as in arrested? It has most assuredly happened, even if the odds are incredibly unlikely. One recent one was the Wright case. The accused eventually prevailed; beat the wrap, but not the ride. I'd bet my bottom dollar he was financially destroyed in the process. Two c-notes is insanely cheap insurance, considering the hourly rate of an attorney who provides defense at the federal level.

Suum cuique. :s0155:

No one has been arrested for shouldering a brace. That had nothing to do with the Wright case. He had altered a brace which the ATF then tried to argue he had constructed an SBR. It had nothing to do with shouldering anything.

He was also represented by a court appointed attorney, it didn't cost him a dime.

ATF Suffers Rare Court Loss in Ohio Unregistered 'Short Barrel Rifle' Prosecution - The Truth About Guns

Interesting read, thanks for sharing

No problem and to give my two cents as far as SBRs go (I have 2).

I would SBR an AR lower or two due to the versatility and that's about it.

I pay enough taxes involuntarily to the government I don't feel like giving them more for the permission to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I would rather give that money to a firearms accessory company any day.

Not to mention the hassle of traveling with an SBR vs a brace.

$200 is chump change in the firearm parts world.

Indeed, in this day and age two c-notes is nothing.

I completely agree. But it's their game, their rules, and I quite like to play. As far as I'm concerned, $200 Is a great deal compared to the possibility of total loss of my gun rights and/or jail time for being willfully ignorant.

Exactly. While I am not overly worried about the legal ramifications, it is incredibly cheap insurance. (More than I'm paying combined in auto, home, life, and umbrella each month, to put it in perspective.) And ATF changes their mind on things all the time. Even if they don't, I'm still not interested in the brace thing though.

Having a SBR'd lower is kinda cool, you can pretty much do anything you want with it other than making it a MG.

Exactly. Once approved, you can pretty much build whatever you want, sans happy-switch; any length, any caliber, any (real) stock, any fore-grip, any modifications, etc. I'm not, personally, all that into the AR world, though I've built one SBR from said, and that platform really provides a lot of options for SBR builds. One can create the right configuration for what they are after. And all the silly caveats go away.

How do you handle the fingerprints? Where did you get them done. Is there an option outside of the Sheriff's office?

We've done them both at the local police department (NFA items) or rolled our own (adding wife to our 01 FFL). Both were accepted by the Feds. (As soon as the base gun is back from Velzey, I'm filing another Form 1. Since the wife is going to be out of school soon, we'll likely just have the local PO do them again just to be safe, though, candidly, doing them at home would likely be fine like the last time.)

Cheers. :)

This was my sole reason for going the pistol route. Just to many benefits to cast AR pistols aside, at least for me.

I don't travel with NFA items interstate, so it is a non-issue for me, though when we relocate to Arizona, I'll be filing the paperwork.

However, filing a 5320.20 is a piece of cake; complete a two-sided form, email it in, and done.

lol, as I'm doing it with my trust, I had a co-worker help me. I had the ATF send me a bunch of cards. They were free. I hope they accept them. If not, I'll see about using a kiosk.

lol, as I'm doing it with my trust, I had a co-worker help me. I had the ATF send me a bunch of cards. They were free. I hope they accept them. If not, I'll see about using a kiosk.
The benefit of getting printed at the local PD is that they scan your prints in and the computer program will not accept a bad print but will make the operator do that print over. This way there is little chance of your prints not being accepted by the atf.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top