JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Was the Juice worth the squeeze?

• Yes, everyone should have one.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • No, not worth the hassle.

Votes: 23 24.7%

• Total voters
absolutely worth it. braces are stupid but an easy way around. I don't worry about big gov as in my line of work past and present they have everything on me as it is. not too mention before i got into SBR's i already had 4 suppressors.

SBR/Form1 was the only choice for my Uzi model A since this was originally sold as a "16" carbine" it would have been illegal to put a brace and shorter barrel on it and call it a pistol.
Pistol to rifle = OK
Rifle to pistol = Not OK

I ended up putting it on a Form 1 and then installing 10" barrel.

I bought a Kak blade for a .300blk. Its cool to have a "pistol", but Im glad I didnt buy another stamp just to put a regular stock on. Ive got a 16" blackout that is my second favorite AR, so it gets more attention. The SBR stamp for me, would have just been giving more money away.

I have half a dozen SBR's. Last one procured was 4 years ago just before the whole pistol thing really became a thing. No good "brace" (stock) designs at the time anyway and the ATF was still saying you couldnt shoulder it. SBR's arent a hassle. $200 and a few forms. Its like doing the taxes. No big deal. ( OK technically it is doing taxes )

I wont build another. In fact I might even switch a lot of parts over to pistol lowers and call it a day . I live in a border town so I wouldnt have to do the 5320.20 thing. Going out shooting with NFA stuff on public ranges is a pain in the butt anyway. Everyone is a legal freakin' expert or wants to turn you in for something . Pistols can be taken out and fired in public and some of the newer braces are actually pretty good stocks. I just dont see the purpose for SBR's any more.

SBR VZ61 and MP5 are great, look better than the braces in my opinion.

SBR ARs are great if you want a suppressor on it, they end up being rifle length then. Rifle length with a can other than bullseye shooting is a hassle.

Yep..

twins.jpg 9kt.jpg

A 10.5" .300blk with a Liberty Cosmic. Saturday night I shot the 2gun match at Parma with it in the pouring rain. 200gr S&B's put some gongs into effect.
That is a thing of beauty right there sweet build. Shorty 300blk's seem like to much fun to be missin out on. Im hoping lmt gets products back in stock soon. Wanna sbr one in time, with a mono upper who needs uppers when you can swap barrels

I have half a dozen SBR's. Last one procured was 4 years ago just before the whole pistol thing really became a thing. No good "brace" (stock) designs at the time anyway and the ATF was still saying you couldnt shoulder it. SBR's arent a hassle. $200 and a few forms. Its like doing the taxes. No big deal. ( OK technically it is doing taxes )

I wont build another. In fact I might even switch a lot of parts over to pistol lowers and call it a day . I live in a border town so I wouldnt have to do the 5320.20 thing. Going out shooting with NFA stuff on public ranges is a pain in the butt anyway. Everyone is a legal freakin' expert or wants to turn you in for something . Pistols can be taken out and fired in public and some of the newer braces are actually pretty good stocks. I just dont see the purpose for SBR's any more.

I'm lazy. And impatient. My AR pistols do just fine by me. Even if the ATF said no to shouldering one, I'd bet a coffee and a donut nobody here has ever been "busted" for it. I'd also bet carrying around multiple copies of those fancy stamps is mostly mental masturbation. Local and even state LEO have no jurisdiction. When's the last time anyone ran into an ATF agent at the range or the local outdoor "watering hole"?

Last Edited:
I'm lazy. And impatient. My AR pistols do just fine by me. Even if the ATF said no to shouldering one, I'd bet a coffee and a donut nobody here has ever been "busted" for it. I'd also bet carrying around multiple copies of those fancy stamps is mostly mental masturbation. Local and even state LEO have no jurisdiction. When's the last time anyone ran into an ATF agent at the range or the local outdoor "watering hole"?

Ranges can and will ask to see paperwork for NFA items. You dont have to show them anything and they can demand you leave the premises. Local LEO's can ask to see paperwork and if you do not comply they can hold you and your firearm until an ATF agent appears.

The only way to get my krink clone assembled was to SBR it. It was a long process to build and stamp, but Its my favorite rifle. I have eyes on doing more paperwork on my Scorpion just because i want to put a VFG on it. The current brace is nice, but I also want to do an MPX stock. Money is no object when I get a project idea in my head. It simply costs what it costs, and if I want it bad enough, I'll get it eventually finished. I have an AR pistol that I won't bother to SBR unless braces get nixed. And I would like to eventually pick up a PSAK-P to magpul up in plum furniture as an SBR. If only to give my krink a rest. I don't go out of state much, and I have other things I can bring if I need to. If I move out of state, I'll do the paperwork then. I shoot out in the woods, so I don't care about being asked for papers. The only hassle is the wait time for the stamp really to me.

This is a real poser for me. On one hand, I like the idea of being able to tote an AR pistol in my car and crossing into another state appears from what I have read here, doesn't appear to be a problem. Right now I'm thinking if I'm going to spend $200, I'd rather get another suppressor.
Two questions, though:
Does adding a suppressor to an AR pistol require it to be changed to an SBr getting the stamp?
And Is it legal to change an sbr back and forth to a pistol whenever I feel like it?
Thanks. I'm glad I found this thread ' cuz I just built my 1st AR pistol. In 300Blackout no less

Last Edited:
This is a real poser for me. On one hand, I like the idea of being g able to tote an AR pistol in my car and crossing g into another state appears from what I have read here, doesn't appear to be a problem. . Right now I'm thinking if I'm going to spend $200, I'd rather get another suppressor.
Two questions, though:
Does adding a suppressor to an AR pistol require it to be changed to an SBr getting the stamp?
And Is it legal to chage an sbr back and forth to a pistol whenever I feel like it?
Thanks. I'm glad I found this thread ' cuz I just built my 1st AR pistol. In 300Blackout no less

No. Why would it? Its just a pistol with a silencer screwed on the end

And Is it legal to chage an sbr back and forth to a pistol whenever I feel like it?

The jury is still out on that. It makes sense that it would be as long as you started with a pistol or virgin receiver 'cause you can go back and forth from a pistol to a rifle and back but not the other way ... but .... I havent seen anything in writing from the ATF saying that scenario is Kosher.

Ranges can and will ask to see paperwork for NFA items. You dont have to show them anything and they can demand you leave the premises. Local LEO's can ask to see paperwork and if you do not comply they can hold you and your firearm until an ATF agent appears.
Sounds like tyranny to me. I have never had anyone ever bat an eye at any range I've ever been to , not even in nanny state CA.

Sounds like tyranny to me. I have never had anyone ever bat an eye at any range I've ever been to , not even in nanny state CA.
The only time I ever got the evil eye was when I would bring silencers to range and shoot with them when it was technically illegal in Washington to fire a gun with a silencer. Then they'd ask to fire one. The SBRs I used to get questions about but now I think its assumed they are pistols.

It's $200, a form, and a months wait. No biggie for me. I like most stocks better than any brace I've tried. Braces aren't bad, but not as good as a stock.

braces are stupid

I suppose one could put it that way. I have zero use for them. My shorties are stamped. And I'm working on another one at the present. :)

I'd bet a coffee and a donut nobody here has ever been "busted" for it.

Busted as in arrested? It has most assuredly happened, even if the odds are incredibly unlikely. One recent one was the Wright case. The accused eventually prevailed; beat the wrap, but not the ride. I'd bet my bottom dollar he was financially destroyed in the process. Two c-notes is insanely cheap insurance, considering the hourly rate of an attorney who provides defense at the federal level.

Suum cuique. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top