JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Was the Juice worth the squeeze?

• Yes, everyone should have one.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • No, not worth the hassle.

Votes: 23 24.7%

• Total voters
To add.

I would only do another SBR if it could NOT be made to have a pistol brace.

Like a PS90 or something where the barrel must be made shorter and you can't add a brace to do so.

My CX4 was the only SBR that I'd do again.

Lots of good insights here!
For me, it was a combo of reasons to go the stamp route! 1) the rifle I really wanted was always a short barreled rifle, and 2) that little carbine some times had a Suppressor afixed to it! 3) it opend the door for other handy little carbines that are/were only ever made with shorty barrels and /or suppressors! I also had at the time a fixation with the PS-90 and wanted a "Real" one which had short barrels ( though I couldnt get the fun switch) still, a very handy little bullpuppy to have!
So, for me, being used to stamp collecting on suppressors, it wasnt a stretch to file for a SBR amd do a double stamp a few times!;)

Got my SBR before the pistol renaissance we have now.

Had we had the same options back then like we do now, Id have no reason to SBR.

Extra cost and hassle for minimal cool factor.

The only other SBR Id go for at this point is an Mp5 clone.

Last Edited:
Tell me this isn't worth it! LOL
standard.jpg

View attachment 565507
Builds like this are totally worth it.

A dedicated build project in my opinion is worth the paperwork.

A second thing I'll add.

If going from AR pistol to AR sbr. It's literally just a wait and two bills. You already have the gun. You can still shoot it. It's not in some other persons safe while you wait for the stamp like a silencer is or a factory SBR.

So essentially it's just $200-$235 depending on if you do it yourself or have a service like SilencerShop file the ppwk and a wait.

Then you get to slide off your brace, or uninstall a buffer tube. And put in a stock.

:s0023:

Or you don't, and just enjoy your "pistol".

Think reno has a fair point. If you have a thompson, sbr'ing is the only way to go. Or a clone build. I want a ump45 build one day, cant clone that with a pistol brace.
Outside of lop and cheekweld sbr's dont bring anything to the table for ar's if you own more then one

View attachment 565507

That's a cool bad-arse commando kit!! BUT here's a strong counter-point....

My AR pistols with 1st gen KAK braces:
2A29F53C-C311-4E23-8E5A-42129C44CB9C.jpeg

The same AR pistols with smaller 2nd gen KAK braces that telescope w/o a separate tool:
85378655-F09D-401B-BBEA-A474C402977E.jpeg

My Draco pistol:
289D9893-8B88-4D19-807B-4FA2D57E57CE.jpeg

And my papered Draco SBR:
FFEAD3D6-8E33-4568-BA2B-53B37640FE07.jpeg

For me, it would now depend on the platform being built whether to SBR or go with a "brace".

View attachment 565538

The same AR pistols with smaller 2nd gen KAK braces that telescope w/o a separate tool:
View attachment 565540

My Draco pistol:
View attachment 565544

View attachment 565545

For me, it would now depend on the platform being built whether to SBR or go with a "brace".
I did the long barrel ( XM-177) on my Commando while I was awaiting my stamp, when I found that stock, i couldnt just let it sit and wait! :D

View attachment 565538

View attachment 565540

My Draco pistol:
View attachment 565544

View attachment 565545

You should bring your pistols to the range next trip.

In my opinion it was worth it. I just got my form 1 on Saturday i e-filed and it took 17days from start to finish. It was probably the easiest gun related paperwork I have ever done. Finding an engraver that would work on guns and that was open after I got off work was probably the hardest part.

I'd be careful with these reasonings as the ATF has expressly stated that a pistol is not meant to be a work-around SBR requirements....

I encourage everyone to get as many SBRs and pistols as their budget allows. The more common these things are, and the less real-world distinction there is, the greater the odds are that one day these totally arbitrary distinctions are thrown out.

Since e-File is an option now and it seems the wait times are very minimal (mine was... 35 days which included the gov shutdown), why not SBR? I know there have been a few reasons listed already as to why not but..... eh, why not one more really cool gun in the safe?

My concern is that braces will go the way of bump stocks.

To add.

I would only do another SBR if it could NOT be made to have a pistol brace.

Like a PS90 or something where the barrel must be made shorter and you can't add a brace to do so.

My CX4 was the only SBR that I'd do again.
I have never had the urge to SBR mine. Add a suppressor, yes, SBR... no. Was it aesthetics, or functionality? I like the stock look though I know I am in the minority.

I think so. I've always thought that pistol stabilizing braces were a hokey way around the ATF's rules and just like bump stocks, the feds may one day rule against them.
My first AR build was a .300 Blackout with a 10" barrel and an expensive suppressor, so I didn't want it half assed.
I'd do it again.

This is my answer, with the exception that I never had a brace. The SBRs had a 16" or more upper whilst waiting for approval. 300Blackout, Suppressed and a collapsable stock MP-5, Suppressed are about the only applications I have use for.

When I did the paperwork for my short barrelled Saiga, it wasn't that big of a hassle, as I used a trust. Interestingly enough, when I lost my rights later on, the feds never even bothered to come & take it away from me--not that I had it anyhow, cause I had already returned it to the guy who built it for me, to hold onto for me

I got a smoking deal on a scorpion EVO carbine. In order for it to not be 40" long with a suppressor, it's needs to be SBR'ed. Once a rifle, it can't be a pistol.....

I have never had the urge to SBR mine. Add a suppressor, yes, SBR... no. Was it aesthetics, or functionality? I like the stock look though I know I am in the minority.
The happy mode versions (MX4) are all short barreled. I wanted mine to resemble it.
upload_2019-4-4_19-40-10.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads