JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Joly I didn't post a pic with the face since I didn't directly encounter the guy. If he'd been on my shared, private road with posted No Trespassing signs then yes I would post a pic with the face.

If he'd been on my property and come at me with the screwdriver in hand, then story might have been very different...

Side note, I realized later the first three rounds in the Benelli were slugs (we've had a lot of bear activity in the area lately). I switched the first round to be #00 buckshot, and I now have a little piece of tape and writing on the stock as a reminder.

I live in a good, semi-rural area but have gotten into the habit of keeping a pistol in my coat pocket while working outside on the property.

My thinking was reaffirmed yesterday when a neighbor called me and said they'd just challenged a guy walking up their private road. Dirty clothing, gloves, screwdriver in hand, headlamp on head, and a bad attitude. A pic of the guy is attached (I blocked out his face). I told her to call 911. She did, and the response from the County police department was there was no crime committed so they were not sending an Officer. :mad:

I grabbed a shotgun and walked my property with two dogs. No sign of him but I alerted my other neighbors...

So as I head into the Summer I thinking about options on a hot Summer day to keep a pistol with me. Some days I can end up quite dusty after mowing.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

A pic of the distinguished gentleman, including the gloves, screwdriver in his right hand, and headlamp on his head:

View attachment 580739

@Joly I didn't post a pic with the face since I didn't directly encounter the guy. If he'd been on my shared, private road with posted No Trespassing signs then yes I would post a pic with the face.

If he'd been on my property and come at me with the screwdriver in hand, then story might have been very different...

Side note, I realized later the first three rounds in the Benelli were slugs (we've had a lot of bear activity in the area lately). I switched the first round to be #00 buckshot, and I now have a little piece of tape and writing on the stock as a reminder.
While what you may use for defense with a shot gun is a matter of personal choice, I think the idea of marking those weapons that you might use with various loads is a great idea if you may use various loads or even multiple shot guns. Unless it's changed, Oregon does not require property to be posted, it is assumed to be private and if you are our property that doesn't belong to you without permission, you are trespassing.

I'd post the picture (face included) if it were me, obviously. I greatly suspect you attained the photo from you neighbor...and they didn't 'blue out' the face, so you or other neighbors could identify the trespasser...is this some sort of test or spoof? Is the trespasser running in the photo?

Don't get me wrong. I have owned guns since i was 15 years old. You will not find anybody that would call me anything but pro gun. I am 72 years old now and i have tried but i just cannot understand why so many people feel the need to carry a gun all the time. In my 72 years i have never felt the need and have never needed to carry a gun on me. The risk " and its probably the biggest risk you will ever take" is just not worth it to me. I know that there are some people that do have a real need. But, so many? I just can't see it. I read about a 5 year old that found a loaded gun in dads car a few weeks ago near me. He shot his self in the face. Was his dads need so great it was worth the risk? Can you imagine how dad feels right now. I have kept a loaded gun next to my bed for at least 30 years. Last week i locked it in a box and put the key away where it stays all the time. I have a four year old Great Granddaughter that comes over a lot. The need is nowhere near the Risk. I cant imagine how i wold feel if she ever got hold of that gun. I never needed that gun. So why would i ever even think about taking the risk. All I'm saying is Everybody makes mistakes. I make mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes. Think about it. Is the need Really worth the risk? I'm thinking about 90 percent of people who carry or keep loaded gun around all the time take a much bigger Risk than needed. And I'm also thinking so many people carrying will sooner or later lead to much more gun control. The more that cary the more mistakes will be made. The anti gun crowd will use those mistake against everybody.

@Joly yes, the pic came from the neighbor. Yes it was a real situation. Yes the dude was trotting toward them and then past them (she was in her truck, had her window down).

Yes, I was the one who chose to mask the face of the dude before posting the picture here.

Don't get me wrong. I have owned guns since i was 15 years old. You will not find anybody that would call me anything but pro gun. I am 72 years old now and i have tried but i just cannot understand why so many people feel the need to carry a gun all the time. In my 72 years i have never felt the need and have never needed to carry a gun on me. The risk " and its probably the biggest risk you will ever take" is just not worth it to me. I know that there are some people that do have a real need. But, so many? I just can't see it. I read about a 5 year old that found a loaded gun in dads car a few weeks ago near me. He shot his self in the face. Was his dads need so great it was worth the risk? Can you imagine how dad feels right now. I have kept a loaded gun next to my bed for at least 30 years. Last week i locked it in a box and put the key away where it stays all the time. I have a four year old Great Granddaughter that comes over a lot. The need is nowhere near the Risk. I cant imagine how i wold feel if she ever got hold of that gun. I never needed that gun. So why would i ever even think about taking the risk. All I'm saying is Everybody makes mistakes. I make mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes. Think about it. Is the need Really worth the risk? I'm thinking about 90 percent of people who carry or keep loaded gun around all the time take a much bigger Risk than needed. And I'm also thinking so many people carrying will sooner or later lead to much more gun control. The more that cary the more mistakes will be made. The anti gun crowd will use those mistake against everybody.
Sir, what you consider sufficient in your own life is your very own and I respect that.

Please don't judge or place blame at my feet, for something I had no part of.

Good day.

I'm not judging you or placing any blame at your feet. I'm just saying that i just do not understand why so many people feel the need to have a gun on them all the time. For "Most" the Risk far outweighs the need. And with so many people carrying there will be mistakes that could lead to more and more gun control. Just saying look around. Does the need justify the Risk. It happens more and more every day.

Many of us carry for the very real threat potential we face every single day! Some live in the cess pool of Portland, or near enough, where the rule of law is no longer keeping people safe! Many of us are forced to travel to those areas, many of us have to deal with drugged out brain dead or homeless predators, its a very real threat! Most us us have looked at our situations and judged the need warrants carrying! If you dont feel the need, great, but for those of us who do, know that we do have a very good reason to do so! Deep in anti country, this will be even more important as the other side continues to undo that what keeps us safe!

Last Edited:
I am sorry to hear that you have such real concerns for safety in your area. And I don't blame you for carrying if those concerns are real. I really have a hard time trying to understand how or why it can be that way in this country. I'm 72 and never had those concerns. Sure there are places i would not go at night or even during the day here but i never felt there was a need to have a gun on me or in my car. I still think most people dont really have the need. Seems more and more that wherever you go somebody has a gun on them and more and more i read about a kid that got hold of a gun or shot accidentally. And I'm thinking people that have really no thoughts on gun control are going to say enough and suddenly turn against gun owners and stand with the anti gun, anti constitution nuts. Thats why I'm saying if the need does not justify the risk leave it locked up at home.

In my short time walking this Earth...a lot has changed..some for the better and some for the worse.
In my opinion...if you carry , and carry safely , the risk of a accident , or mistake is really no greater , and perhaps even less than when driving your car.

To be honest here , I have no science or data to back up my opinion stated here...Just basing my opinion on my experiences when carrying or being around those that do.

As for providing a "need" to justify my carrying of a gun...
Its in the 2nd Amendment : "The Right to keep and bear arms...
Webster has this to say about "bear":
( Of a person ) Carry

To paraphrase a song :
Its my pistol , I can carry it , if I want to....:D
Andy

Thats why I'm saying if the need does not justify the risk leave it locked up at home.
The Anti's want more Gov control regardless what we do. You need no more proof then to watch them rush to stand on the graves of the dead and attempt to have every incident fit their narrative and when it doesn't the story disappears. Watch "Seattle is dying" if you want a peek into what we're dealing with in the NW. PS, Welcome to NWFA.

40 years ago, I rarely felt the need to carry every where I went every single day, people were less violent, we didnt have a religon of peace bent on killing the infidel, mental illness wasnt so wide spread, or drug use so rampant, and we didnt have a serious divide among the people like we do now! This country is not as safe as it once was, amd its getting worse, not better! When our Law Enforcement are prevented from enforcing law, told to stand down amd walk away, thats a real threat to safety! When our justice systems is a revolving door of continuous releases for all but the most egregious of crimes, were not safe! When the criminals have more rights then the law abiding, yea, i choose to carry every waking minute, because 1360 FPS is one hell of a lot faster then the 20 min it takes for a cop to show up, and a cop is too darn heavy to carry with me!

And i couldn't afford all the damn donuts ether!

From the looks of that guy .
I would be carry a 12ga .
He looks pretty big .
Add in the meth . Crack .or what ever drug he is using.
And the 12ga with OO .BUCK AND SLUGS.

Screenshot_2019-05-24_214250.jpg Here is a screenshot of a girl in Utha.
With a screwdriver and orange gloves.
BREAKING into cars.
The screen shot is from a YouTube video from cops camera .
Right before he taze her witch don't work so he shoots her .
After she says those famous last words.
Go ahead shoot me.
Then steps towards him. Screenshot_2019-05-24_214205.jpg

I'm not judging you or placing any blame at your feet. I'm just saying that i just do not understand why so many people feel the need to have a gun on them all the time. For "Most" the Risk far outweighs the need. And with so many people carrying there will be mistakes that could lead to more and more gun control. Just saying look around. Does the need justify the Risk. It happens more and more every day.
You don't have to carry a gun if you don't want to.
Or you can carry a gun with a empty chamber.
What ever.
I carry when I can basically all the time when I am not at work.
Because I can't carry at work.
But I have told my family .
If I get killed at work by some crazy drug addict or what ever.
They are to sue my Employer for wrongful death.
Or at least try.
It's up to you .
I have only came close to drawing my gun one time.
The gun never left the holster.
But my hand was on it ready to draw it .
What's the sane.
A gun is like a Parachute.
If you need one and don't have one.
You will never need one again.
BECAUSE YOU'RE DEAD

A woman in her 60's (I will be 69 years old this summer.) was KILLED and MAULED by 2 dogs (One pit bull and a second pit bull MIX or purebred PB.) over by Bozeman, MT while she was gardening in her OWN YARD a year or so ago. (I may have mentioned it on here - pretty sure that I did.)

There have been many stories like this in my MT news (Across the country too!) with other breeds but specifically a SPECIFIC breed or breeds of dogs. Statistics so no offense to any person here. So many times, you hear the owners of 'said dogs' say, "But my dog never hurt a fly and was sweet. Bla and bla."

The DOGS were NOT the victim's dogs, the dogs were NOT protecting the old lady's home and NOT protecting the OLD lady aka VICTIM. They were LOOSE, went psycho and attacked her. Many of those types of dogs attack their OWN OWNER or family including babies and children. Statistics.

The dogs that KILLED THIS WOMAN in a horrific death were put down but sometimes they are NOT put down. (Can you spell stupid by not putting them DOWN?!) The woman was alone in her death. The emt squad took her to the hospital, she died, they brought her back, put her on life support and harvested her ORGANS. Which ones, I do not know.

It was a shame that she did not KILL those loose, vicious dogs with a GUN or a KNIFE. People say that we should only blame the owner. I BLAME THE DOGS and THE OWNER!

The dogs were NOT, not and not defending the old lady or her home.

One loose and vicious loose dog is bad enough even when it does NOT listen to it's owner and most of the time that owner is not there. BUT I have seen it up close and personal both ways. ADD one, two or more dogs - domesticated dogs (LOL!) or not aka feral dogs in a pack... oh my goodness whether you are elderly or not, a young child, a middle aged strong man or woman... be prepared.

Dead Serious Old Lady Cate

PS: YOU can yell for help, yell if an owner is there or NOT, yell when NO one else can come to help you and it is all a pretty nasty situation. BEEN THERE - DONE THAT. In some states - ANIMAL CONTROL IS GOOD - NO NONSENSE and in other states they are pretty worthless handing out paper tickets, if that, and NEVER REALLY DOING JACK SQUAT ABOUT THE WORDS - ANIMAL CONTROL.

@tws3b2 I understand and respect your thinking and comments. ...but I disagree with it.

As @AndyinEverson and others have commented, things are not the same anymore.

I have two neighbors who are retired LE. One is older and retired for 20+ years. Another recently retired as soon as he hit a retirement milestone, and then took a job in the private sector.

The one who recently retired told me many stories about what is happening out there. There is no respect, and many encounters with a bad guy result in at least a violent tussle for LE. This neighbor had two surgeries on his hand. The disrespectful or drugged-up types simply don't care and have nothing to lose. Ponder this when you make choices on if or how you're going to defend yourself and your loved ones.

As for me and my original posting, if dude had been on my property I would have told him to get down and called 911. If he had come at me with that screwdriver then it is highly probable I would have shot him. My son and his girlfriend were home and I will do what it takes to defend myself and my loved ones.

As an aside, the older retired LE neighbor predicted the current blithe back in 2011. I've had many conversations with him over time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top