JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry my VP9 in a Alien Gear synthetic leather IWB holster when I do yard work. I wear a sleeve less undershirt and a polo shirt to hide it in the warmer weather. I also have OWB Alien Gear holster that I wear in the colder weather. I just tuck my shirt into my pants in colder weather.

Thank you for the responses. I ordered this fanny pack:
https://amzn.to/2LUWXKS

I hadn't thought of a fanny pack and I like the idea of protecting the pistol from large amounts of dust in August. I'm also not going out in public with it so I don't care about appearances... :cool:

Last Edited:
I live in a good, semi-rural area but have gotten into the habit of keeping a pistol in my coat pocket while working outside on the property.

My thinking was reaffirmed yesterday when a neighbor called me and said they'd just challenged a guy walking up their private road. Dirty clothing, gloves, screwdriver in hand, headlamp on head, and a bad attitude. A pic of the guy is attached (I blocked out his face). I told her to call 911. She did, and the response from the County police department was there was no crime committed so they were not sending an Officer. :mad:

I grabbed a shotgun and walked my property with two dogs. No sign of him but I alerted my other neighbors...

So as I head into the Summer I thinking about options on a hot Summer day to keep a pistol with me. Some days I can end up quite dusty after mowing.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

A pic of the distinguished gentleman, including the gloves, screwdriver in his right hand, and headlamp on his head:

View attachment 580739

How is trespassing on a private road not a crime?

@Camelfilter I don't know. Her shared, private road is separate from my shared, private road.

For my shared, private road we installed this metal, reflective sign. The sign definitely reduced odd traffic on the private road. I also verified with a LE friend that violating a published No Trespassing sign is only a misdemeanor in WA State, but it gives LE a legal reason to stop and search the individual or vehicle. If they're up to no good then LE will typically find something illegal, someone has a warrant, or similar.
https://amzn.to/2Q9B1Kq

I recommended the sign to the neighbor who had the incident on Friday, and she is likely going to buy and install it with her neighbors. They've had enough.

I still need to get a holster for my 43.
I have three of this type/brand and they are excellent.

BC2C67A3-8206-4C14-A92D-F2B488924F7F.jpeg

@Camelfilter I don't know. Her shared, private road is separate from my shared, private road.

For my shared, private road we installed this metal, reflective sign. The sign definitely reduced odd traffic on the private road. I also verified with a LE friend that violating a published No Trespassing sign is only a misdemeanor in WA State, but it gives LE a legal reason to stop and search the individual or vehicle. If they're up to no good then LE will typically find something illegal, someone has a warrant, or similar.
https://amzn.to/2Q9B1Kq

I recommended the sign to the neighbor who had the incident on Friday, and she is likely going to buy and install it with her neighbors. They've had enough.

Yikes! Hopefully you all have zero return of unwanted visitors in your neighborhood.

As to carrying at home/around the property, always a good idea IMO. It's when something is least expected, is more likely to cause an "issue". Best to have and not need, than want and not have.

Find what works best for you all.

Mostly we open carry at home, full size 9mm (CZ/Canik). Top cover if yard work out front with power equipment (work clothes anyways), or just .380 pocket guns if just for quick cleaning/weeding & the like.

@DB Wesner I'm typically in shorts or sweat pants with no belt. It's warm, I'm sweaty, and it can be quite dusty some days (e.g. mowing in August).

So yes I could open carry. It's a balance of considerations.

I'm going to try the fanny pack.

Whatever fanny pack you buy, make sure it's designed for firearms.

Why buy that kind?

Because they come with an inside the fanny pack velcroed holster (plus straps sometimes too) that keep your firearm oriented and not loosely flopping around inside your fanny pack.

I hope that was clear...?

I have a S&W 642 Airweight that i carry in my right front pocket. I use to pocket carry a 9mm Khar PM9. When i started doing some farm work I would get a lotof pocket liter.

20190511_174502.jpg

So I sold the Khar and went with the 642, it is double action only with a shroded hammer so no pocket liter will get in to the inner mechinisms and jam it up.
That picture of the pocket sleve was taken last weekend right after i cut up a couple of cordsof firewood for a friend. I took the 642 right out of it with out shaking it off and shot a couple of rounds.
I have done that several times at the farm with hay liter in my pockets.
If I had been carrying a semi auto or s J-Frame revolver with an exposed hammer over time they would get pocket liter inside and plug up the internal mechinisms and render it useless.
Being a aluminum alloy frame, stainless barrel & cylinder it doesn't rust. Working outside in all types of weather.
In the summer it gets hot and when doing physical hard work I sweat.
In the fall, winter & spring with the rain I het wet, some times totally saturated.
When this happens when I get home I take my 642 wipe it with a paper towel. And let it dry out. It is by far the best $400 in gun money I ever spent. I bought my 642 about 8 years ago, last year when Costal Tractor Store opened in the old K Mart store in Marysville they had a sale on the 642s for only $359 so I bought another just becouse it was cheap enough to have a spare.

20181204_141159.jpg

In my oppinipn this revolver is one of the best, most reliable carry guns there is.

The response from the dispatcher just frosts me. So is their job to only show up after a crime? Rhetorical apparently since their answer is yes. By the way, I'm a retired LEO who still trains officers. Based on your photo I don't think you could find a better person that needs to be talked to. This p!$$es me off.

I would find someone higher up in the department , send them the photo, and ask if this is how they do business. This might explain why their detectives are so busy!

When working in the yard, I wear my MAGA cap while open carrying my S&W SD9VE in a Crossbreed OWB leather holster, fully loaded, one in the chamber, a spare fully loaded extra magazine, and a big, speed assisted Kershaw clip it knife.

That gear is quite comforting while out and about while mowing or pruning or...?

Day before yesterday, I saw 2 pickups unknown to me pull up in my nearest neighbors driveway. My neighbors weren't home and haven't been for a few days. Two strangers went to their door knocked, after awhile came back down the driveway and animated started speaking to each other in the street with their arms akimbo ala beto o'rouke. Weird and unnerving. Oh, one left his glass packed pipes rumbling the entire time.

Finally, they leave, an hour elapses when a white beater panel van with no company markings shows up in my neighbor's driveway and another stranger gets out and heads out to my neighbors back yard. My wife called the cops.

The police simply took down the information that I had written down and supplied the license plate number and description of the 3rd stranger.

Then, the law never made an appearance or called back.

In all the years we've lived here this is the first time any thing like this has happened.

Also, all the guys were Hispanic and we rarely see anything but white faces in our area.

Perhaps, they were all legit?

Maybe...maybe not.

I can't imagine my neighbors inviting contractors (or?) over to the house when they're obviously out of town.

Time will tell.

In the mean time I remain armed in and out of the house.

My wife has a fanny pack with a holster inside and a quick draw velcro access in addition to the normal zipper. It's a leather pack and pretty nice, but I don't remember the maker. She uses it to carry her heavy Taurus 605 Stainless .357 cuz she doesn't do belts.

During the summer it would not be untoward to wear a hydration pack on your back. Hydration only, maybe one with a cooling layer. Or a cooling vest (evap).

A lightweight compact polymer single stack 9mm, like a Kahr CM9 or CM40, or a Ruger LCP9, worn on a belt under a t-shirt and under the cooling vest or hydration pack. Or in a pocket holster.

Great idea!! I do have a utility harness with hydration pack that I used for hunting... I has a built in holster that holds a compact sized pistol (G19) very well. It has a retention strap. But it is not very protected from dust. I have a winter/spring/fall insulated nylon vest with a holster inside the left front... it's very protected from dust but too warm for summer. I wore it sometimes for hunting before I started wearing a shoulder holster under a shorter waisted vest. The shorter waist vest was necessary for better access to belt worn tools, but also because it's heavier/warmer. The utility harness I wore over a sweatshirt during warm fall weather. Lots of pockets for extra gea and mags!!!

Just curious why you don't open carry on your property, seems your out in the sticks liked me.

I don't open carry since we have a lot young children that play on the cul de sac where our house is located. Yes I can open carry but just assume that mothers that are out there talking and watching their kids don't see me open carry. Soccer moms live though out our neighborhood.

I don't open carry since we have a lot young children that play on the cul de sac where our house is located. Yes I can open carry but just assume that mothers that are out there talking and watching their kids don't see me open carry. Soccer moms live though out our neighborhood.
Totally get that, my comment would only be to those that have no neighbors. OC in public isn't to my liking either.

OC is legal in Texas if you have a License To Carry.

I do and at times like when fueling up my truck I OC. It keeps beggars and other riff raff away...

OC is legal while on your property even without an LTC.

I am going to buy today a fanny pack for my yard pistol to help keep the dust out.

My neighbors are all gun people so up to now they're used to see me open carry.

Once my fanny pack comes in, they'll know what's in it and not think less of me...

Something like this would be a good option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GBSE83K/ref=twister_B0114RNLWQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Throw some garden gloves and pruners in it and it won't look out of place for someone doing yard work, especially in a more urban environment.

I have personally used a Wilderness Safepacker in the past. It keeps the gun completely enclosed and protected from debris. It has the bonus of carrying an extra mag or speedloader.

https://thewilderness.com/safepacker-concealment-holster/

Train your dogs to find people. I have a beagle and trained him to find people by playing a game of hide-and-seek with the kids. Now he knows what "where is it" means.

If someone were hiding on my property or in our house, he would find them.

Second, post signs stating "No Trespassing" as I seem to remember that has to be done otherwise LE won't bother with people on your property.

Lastly, I would install some solar motion lights around your property in case your problem is after sunset. This at the very least makes those who trespass in the night illuminated and perhaps nervous.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top