JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have solar motion lights along my driveway until it gets to the circle. They often come on, almost always a raccoon, neighbor dog or cat.

I need to install the driveway sensor my kids gave me; my house is so well insulated and I am deaf enough, that I don't hear delivery trucks drive up to my house when I am inside.

All my neighbors have night lights that they leave on and you can not only see their houses from the private road, but also from the public road a mile away. My house is not very visible from either one, especially in the spring to fall when all the trees have their leaves. I prefer it that way.

One neighbor has a Ring system that records video with motion detection outside, and he can even talk to people outside via his cell phone.

I open carry, in I open carry, in and around my house, as much as possible. The neighbors don't care. My dogs are with me when I am in the front yard.
I am also always wearing jeans. I don't want to damage my legs with debris from the chainsaw, lawnmower, or just when I'm kneeling down in the dirt working in the Roses.
I use I use a Blackhawk plastic holster, and yes, my gun does get dirty. I wipe it down and oil at afterwards.
I live on a busy road. Personally, don't give a hoot whether or not anybody sees it.

I bought an Uncle Mike's shoulder rig that's all nylon. Carried my full size Ruger Redhawk in it and did a ton of motorcycle riding off road. Found it to be surprisingly comfortable.

I had a young neighbor lady for a while that used to do her daily activities around the house and yard with a drop leg holster. A bit like living next door to Laura Kroft. I loved the fact that she did not give a hoot who didn't like it.

Unless you are wearing a hand cannon I doubt most people passing by will even be looking at you doing yard work. If I already had my EDC on and started yard work I'll usually leave it on. Small yard.

Outer waistband, make it visible and keep your wits about you and know who's around and approaching at all times.

https://www.amazon.com/EMERSONGEAR-...le+gear&qid=1558308072&s=baby-products&sr=8-5

61O-9aOvwBL._SL1000_.jpg

One of my friends up in Mount Vernon has somebody ransacking his garage. They hada way to bypass the man door lock.
So he installed a motion detector light in the garage above the door angled in and down.

He got a plug adapter that screws in where the light goes and ran an extention cord in to his bedroom and plugeda radio in to the extention cord.
When the radio comes on something or someone is in the garage. With in a week he caught the tweeker in his garage.
He went out to see what was going and took his 44mag Redhawk and had his wife call 911.

Same BS, we don't have any one in the area.
She saidthey can take their time if any one is still in there he has his 44 magnum and will hold them for you.
That changed the whole dymamics of the cat & mouse game. There was a couple of sheriff deputies there with in five minutes.

Surprised no one mentioned deep conceal holsters. "Smart Carry" or "Thunderwear" are great options. I haven't used thunderwear, but I can personally vote for smart carry being the best holster I've used. It's basically an in the pants manny pack. No need for a gun belt, no weight dragging your shorts down, you can position it anywhere on your hips, and unless you're literally getting dirt inside of your pants, it'll stay clean if you tuck it low. There are good draw techniques you can learn and full size firearms still sit invisible in shorts and a t shirt. Hope that helps any for summer wear, and good luck with the situation you've got on your hands there.

Here are a few examples of what I'm referring to.
603FE912-AE8D-4320-9477-5607C6FE88B4.jpeg

Last Edited:
I live in a good, semi-rural area but have gotten into the habit of keeping a pistol in my coat pocket while working outside on the property.

My thinking was reaffirmed yesterday when a neighbor called me and said they'd just challenged a guy walking up their private road. Dirty clothing, gloves, screwdriver in hand, headlamp on head, and a bad attitude. A pic of the guy is attached (I blocked out his face). I told her to call 911. She did, and the response from the County police department was there was no crime committed so they were not sending an Officer. :mad:

I grabbed a shotgun and walked my property with two dogs. No sign of him but I alerted my other neighbors...

So as I head into the Summer I thinking about options on a hot Summer day to keep a pistol with me. Some days I can end up quite dusty after mowing.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

A pic of the distinguished gentleman, including the gloves, screwdriver in his right hand, and headlamp on his head:

View attachment 580739
I use an outside waistband kydex with my Glock 33.
Just as other suggested, I will keep my shirt over it and clean it when I'm done if it was dusty at all.
OTW is best for me to avoid sweating it up.
I'm out in the country with a 1200 foot drive that's posted so not worried about anyone seeing my gun if the shirt gets over it.
Good easy access.

Lightweight nylon flap holster with stainless or polymer handgun under a loose short sleeve works for me. I never let anyone know I'm carrying. A quick wipe down every day is good. The holster can rinse in the sink. My favorite is a S&W Model 67/

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top