JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I realize that it seems like "everyone knows about the fanny pack worn in front had a gun" thing, but it might actually be a good way to go. Besides, that fad went out in the late '90s, when it was no longer sneaky. Doing yard work, not shopping at the mall, I doubt anyone would notice much less care. Comfy carry when doing waist bending and other physical tasks and still concealed. Front side draw without AIWB concerns...worth a try. Any concealed carry is a compromise. I would not use just any fanny pack though. Use one that incorporate s a holster.
I use both a fanny pack and a belly band, usually a Glock 27 or 27

The screwdriver in hand is to be considered as lethal as a knife. A drawn weapon. A screw driver in the hand of a flake running about is something that would make me take a defensive posture. Showing this guy that you are armed on your property is a good idea.

So many choices. My personal choice is to carry from pants on to pants off every day and I have since I was 21. That was 46 years ago and except for rare occasions the rule is followed. Usually a 1911 LWC but often a single action or even a Bond Derringer. Check it in the evening and clean when needed. A gun on the hip is the best answer whether answering a door or roaming the property. Bad guys don't wait for you to get armed.

When I owned, shot and carried my former handguns before my arthritis got worse... I open carried almost all of the time.

Back east mostly on my own land and out here almost all of the time.

TRIPLE K WESTERN LEATHER BELT/HOLSTER RIG and a UNCLE MIKE'S SHOULDER HOLSTER IN GOOD WEATHER.

In bad weather, I used the TRIPLE K RIG, over or under but mostly OVER a C. ranch duster coat if I needed a heavier coat.

I ALWAYS slung the TRIPLE K RIG leaning a bit lower on my right side since I am right handed and with or without a jacket or coat... I could grab it easily.

I liked the black webbed fabric shoulder holster from Uncle Mike's (Back east and I brought it out here.) and a couple of leather ones from my MT husband that he gave me at the time.

Back east, I open carried as I did out here BUT in the winter time when I was I was in a big fluffy robe on my breezeway while watching my dogs tinkle in the wee hours - fenced off area in my back yard... I used to have my Model 317 or Model 60 in my robe pocket. S&W - 3 inch barrels. (My former state did NOT have CCW when I lived there.)

Side note: The court system let out a drug dealer out of JAIL in NW MT.
They told people in that area (VERY remote, small towns, wilderness and rural area.) to STAY INSIDE, LOCK THEIR HOMES AND VEHICLES, BLA AND BLA.

One friend up there said that since this perp was released - more crap was going on. Theft and more. When I saw the alert that went from Sanders County to Lincoln County - I called him yesterday. HE is an older man in his middle 70's close to my late husband's age of he was still living. Former military like my late husband. He is ALWAYS ARMED in his shop, working outside, etc. So even though I warned him - he spread the word. The criminal ditched a car and was RUNNING/WALKING on FOOT up there.

I have noticed that a lot of perps ditch their stolen or non stolen trucks/cars and FLEE ON FOOT in the rural areas and in small towns/cities too.

So if you are ALONE a lot as a female or male, it pays to have something for self defense ON YOUR BODY when working outside.

Perp or no perp - vicious/loose dogs are another issue especially when stupid/careless dog owners DUMP THEM in the country. Country people and not just 'city people' or small town people do this even in so called SAFE areas.

Feral dogs are a whole other matter especially if they RUN IN PACKS.

Been there - seen that out in the boonies and in town too.

Cate

Last Edited:
PS:

I used to carry a black leather fanny pack holding my former 3 inch barrel d/a revolvers a lot too. I had another fanny pack that I used but I only wore one fanny pack at a time! That worked well for my former various smaller handguns and I still use fanny packs. Most of my former handguns were larger and had longer barrels. I used good quality holsters that worked for my smaller female body for those larger handguns of course.

I could hike easily using fanny packs. So they would be fine if you decided to use them in the yard while working.

I NEVER EVER felt that a gun was too HEAVY when I had a proper fitting belt/holster rig when I was carrying a larger handgun whether I was in the wood/wilderness, hiking alone or with someone, working in the yard, etc. and I am a smaller woman and only 5' 3" tall.

I carry my fixed blade knife in a fanny pack when I work in the yard now. (Sometimes in my jacket pocket.) I still use a cane on and off and I am a senior citizen.

I don't carry the larger fixed blade knives (Buck, Ka-Bar, etc.) in my yard but I do open carry them (One at a time!) on my leather belt when I am in the wilderness/woods.

The fanny packs work well for ME for a smaller knife and when I carry a rifle too. My MT husband gave me two pretty leather slings several years ago. I can use them for my main rifle now as I did with some but not all of my former rifles.

If you work in the yard, whether you carry a gun ON YOUR BODY or not, you should still have a good quality FB knife on you in my not so humble opinion.

Disclaimer: I only use and carry fixed blade knives for my old lady hands now. I have done this for several years now.

Cate

1) "I don't walk out the front door without a firearm on my person and I love doing yard work. LCP2 goes in the back pocket and I don't even notice it."
Yup, me too. I would carry a main battle rifle if it weren't so inconvenient. Hard to carry a rifle and walk with a cane too.
2) I have found that weight of the gun is a factor. My back injuries hurt when I carry something very heavy. Just bought new belt & holster for Steyr S9 - Makes a big difference from the worn out belt & holster it replaces. 5-shot .38 works as a "condition white" gun in a pants or bathrobe pocket. Carhartt pants have big enough pockets to carry a Tokarev TTC.
3) Military flap holster protects the gun while doing chores.
4) When you see lowlifes hanging out around your neighbor's place amble over with a camera and photograph them. If this p!sses them off, too bad.
5) Feral dogs are a serious threat. Since they are not really wild they don't fear people. They are a lot more dangerous than wolves or coyotes.
6) A screwdriver is a dagger in a tool's clothing. It is the Bum's Survival Tool - a dagger and pry bar all in one. OP was confronted by a trespasser with a drawn dagger, and would have been justified in regarding as a deadly weapon. I would have no compunctions about telling him to hit road and being rude about it. Upon approaching him I would have a shottie at low ready. It is likely he is a career f-up with a record, so if it comes down to your word against that of his corpse you have a leg up. He attacked me in my own yard and I had to shoot to save my life. Probably not the first time Mr. Corpse has assaulted somebody, just the first time he failed Victim Selection 101. He gets a Darwin Award with Oak Leaves, Swords, and Diamonds. You get to talk to the cops, which bad as it sucks beats getting shanked with a screwdriver. In your own yard. :mad:

When working in the yard, I wear my MAGA cap while open carrying my S&W SD9VE in a Crossbreed OWB leather holster, fully loaded, one in the chamber, a spare fully loaded extra magazine, and a big, speed assisted Kershaw clip it knife.

That gear is quite comforting while out and about while mowing or pruning or...?

Day before yesterday, I saw 2 pickups unknown to me pull up in my nearest neighbors driveway. My neighbors weren't home and haven't been for a few days. Two strangers went to their door knocked, after awhile came back down the driveway and animated started speaking to each other in the street with their arms akimbo ala beto o'rouke. Weird and unnerving. Oh, one left his glass packed pipes rumbling the entire time.

Finally, they leave, an hour elapses when a white beater panel van with no company markings shows up in my neighbor's driveway and another stranger gets out and heads out to my neighbors back yard. My wife called the cops.

The police simply took down the information that I had written down and supplied the license plate number and description of the 3rd stranger.

Then, the law never made an appearance or called back.

In all the years we've lived here this is the first time any thing like this has happened.

Also, all the guys were Hispanic and we rarely see anything but white faces in our area.

Perhaps, they were all legit?

Maybe...maybe not.

I can't imagine my neighbors inviting contractors (or?) over to the house when they're obviously out of town.

Time will tell.

In the mean time I remain armed in and out of the house.

Sounds like a 'casing the joint' occurred at your neighbors. Then they came to make a 'heist', but something changed their mind(s)...probably you, I guess; I hope so...we need to protect ourselves and look out for our neighbors these days, but don't be a hero, be a great witness. I assume you took down all possible identifiers. Well done brother.

That's the spirit. This morning I lament the fact that the area where I live has a liberal mindset that condones the right of "screwdriver" man to case the area at a trot. I converted my older AR-15 to a folding stock due to last year's local ANTIFA activity in the PDX metro. These skin bags travel I-5 to link up with their kin in Eugene. So stay prepared my friends.

Though I prefer outside on the hip when possible, I don't like to advertise either so I use a ankle holster for yard work. it's out of the way and keeps rather clean. I use to carry a Glock26 which was a good ankle carry but replaced it with a Sig365 which actually ankle carries even better. This way I can peel off the shirts as I get ambitious and it doesn't get hooked up on tree branches which I have had happen to me.

I had a young neighbor lady for a while that used to do her daily activities around the house and yard with a drop leg holster. A bit like living next door to Laura Kroft. I loved the fact that she did not give a hoot who didn't like it.

Unless you are wearing a hand cannon I doubt most people passing by will even be looking at you doing yard work. If I already had my EDC on and started yard work I'll usually leave it on. Small yard.

Is... Is... Is she single?

When I owned, shot and carried my former handguns before my arthritis got worse... I open carried almost all of the time.

Back east mostly on my own land and out here almost all of the time.

TRIPLE K WESTERN LEATHER BELT/HOLSTER RIG and a UNCLE MIKE'S SHOULDER HOLSTER IN GOOD WEATHER.

In bad weather, I used the TRIPLE K RIG, over or under but mostly OVER a C. ranch duster coat if I needed a heavier coat.

I ALWAYS slung the TRIPLE K RIG leaning a bit lower on my right side since I am right handed and with or without a jacket or coat... I could grab it easily.

I liked the black webbed fabric shoulder holster from Uncle Mike's (Back east and I brought it out here.) and a couple of leather ones from my MT husband that he gave me at the time.

Back east, I open carried as I did out here BUT in the winter time when I was I was in a big fluffy robe on my breezeway while watching my dogs tinkle in the wee hours - fenced off area in my back yard... I used to have my Model 317 or Model 60 in my robe pocket. S&W - 3 inch barrels. (My former state did NOT have CCW when I lived there.)

Side note: The court system let out a drug dealer out of JAIL in NW MT.
They told people in that area (VERY remote, small towns, wilderness and rural area.) to STAY INSIDE, LOCK THEIR HOMES AND VEHICLES, BLA AND BLA.

One friend up there said that since this perp was released - more crap was going on. Theft and more. When I saw the alert that went from Sanders County to Lincoln County - I called him yesterday. HE is an older man in his middle 70's close to my late husband's age of he was still living. Former military like my late husband. He is ALWAYS ARMED in his shop, working outside, etc. So even though I warned him - he spread the word. The criminal ditched a car and was RUNNING/WALKING on FOOT up there.

I have noticed that a lot of perps ditch their stolen or non stolen trucks/cars and FLEE ON FOOT in the rural areas and in small towns/cities too.

So if you are ALONE a lot as a female or male, it pays to have something for self defense ON YOUR BODY when working outside.

Perp or no perp - vicious/loose dogs are another issue especially when stupid/careless dog owners DUMP THEM in the country. Country people and not just 'city people' or small town people do this even in so called SAFE areas.

Feral dogs are a whole other matter especially if they RUN IN PACKS.

Been there - seen that out in the boonies and in town too.

Cate

Very well reported, and point on. I also live outside of a small town where tourist traffic and even a nearby prison in adjoining state can bring most anything to your door. Many realize that dogs can be an excellent alarm that something is amiss. Feral dogs were a problem in a small town where I lived years ago in Nevada. They would become very aggressive when they were dumped off and somehow found the area where people used to dispose of refuge. Many of them would attack and have to be put down. I also found that a chest/shoulder holster both comfortable while being handy yet out of the way for active work situations. Also easy to conceal wearing a jacket during the colder months. Many former service and law enforcement people are aware of the fact that usually when bad things happen it seems people are unprepared. Firearms wouldn't be good in the drawer if you are out on the property. It does seem like in today's world it takes a bit more awareness to be prepared. It might be that modern travel has improved to where crime can occur anywhere and isn't confined to any particular area. Most have no clue that 911 calls have no effect when you live any distance from where law enforcement may have to travel from, and isn't effective. It's up to you many times to be able to use other means, even if help may be on the way. Thank you for sharing.

For my yard chores it's a S&W 642 in Galco thumb break belt holster. Rides fairly high... up under a t-shirt. Loaded with +P flying ashtrays it is light, yet speaks with authority.

For my yard chores it's a S&W 642 in Galco thumb break belt holster. Rides fairly high... up under a t-shirt. Loaded with +P flying ashtrays it is light, yet speaks with authority.
LOL used to like the the 148 gr hollow base WC with a few grains of Bullseye. accurate and seemed to expand pretty well, backwards. However, now days favor most of the self defense bullets either reloads where I can get gold dots that can be had for short barrels at loadings at reasonable velocities for Smith Chief 3" barrel, or self defense loads of good quality bullets.

I live in a good, semi-rural area but have gotten into the habit of keeping a pistol in my coat pocket while working outside on the property.

My thinking was reaffirmed yesterday when a neighbor called me and said they'd just challenged a guy walking up their private road. Dirty clothing, gloves, screwdriver in hand, headlamp on head, and a bad attitude. A pic of the guy is attached (I blocked out his face). I told her to call 911. She did, and the response from the County police department was there was no crime committed so they were not sending an Officer. :mad:

I grabbed a shotgun and walked my property with two dogs. No sign of him but I alerted my other neighbors...

So as I head into the Summer I thinking about options on a hot Summer day to keep a pistol with me. Some days I can end up quite dusty after mowing.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

A pic of the distinguished gentleman, including the gloves, screwdriver in his right hand, and headlamp on his head:

View attachment 580739

Why did you block out the face of this person? It would seem a good idea to show it to anyone/everyone...he might 'not' have the same clothes and gloves on or the screwdriver, but he 'would' more than likely have the same face, no?

I don't worry about it. If someone I don't like the looks of comes near my property while I'm outside, I'll just go inside if I need to.
Could work if it's just you outside, what if you have the wife and kids out in the yard with you? Some properties are certainly bigger than others and you'd find yourself a fair distance form your home. Postage stamp property, no worries...big piece of land certainly increases the variables.

OP: Good luck with Mr. Screwdriver. That'd be unnerving for me, as I got kids and I'd be more reluctant to just let 'em play with that kind of thing happening.

I have one of my carry guns (some form of CZ) on all day, wherever I'm at - inside/outside, but in the yard sometimes I will OWB. For extended outdoors work, especially now that it's getting hotter, I tend to either:

- Switch to one of my polymer framed CZs to avoid moisture issues
or
- Use one of my police trade-in 40's - Sig P226 or P229. They already had a decent amount of holster wear and slight rusting of the sights from police use, but both still shoot ok - definitely good enough for close quarters personal defense and I don't care if they get dirty.

Soccer moms all over the street in the suburbs - they see me out there and so far have never batted an eye.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top