JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can buy a gun from any state you want to buy a gun in. Unless you hold an FFL license yourself you will need to have the pistol shipped to an FFL in your state of residence.

Long guns are different in each state. You'll need to check that states' laws.

Welcome to NWFA. :)

Thanks but that doesn't answer the private party aspect. Some gun shows don't allow private party sales. Does anyone know if Idaho gun shows allow private party sales? I assume if a sale is private party, that I could buy and walk out with it even though I don't live in Idaho.

I'm not sure what you mean. I absolutely did answer you question. You can buy a pistol from any state that you want to buy it in. If you have an FFL license you can walk out with it and bring it to your home-state.

Legally, if you are an out-of-state resident buying a pistol you have to have it shipped to an FFL in your home-state. Again, long guns are a different story and you'll need to check the laws. (We used to be able to buy a long gun in Oregon and walk out with them, after paperwork, background check, etc. Oregon changed that law a few years ago.)

If you buy from a private party, and that private party doesn't check your ID (to verify your credentials - age, state of residence, etc), then they are taking HUGE risks.

You'll have to find out from whatever gunshow you plan on going to in Idaho and see if they allow private party sales.

Per federal law you may not buy a gun in any other state than one you reside in unless its a long gun being purchased from a FFL dealer. Per Washing regulations you are no longer able to but semi rifles outside of Washington without involving a FFL holder in Washington.
So... the only way to buy outside your state is by using a federally licensed dealer. Anyone telling you differently is wrong.

the only way to buy outside your state is by using a federally licensed dealer. Anyone telling you differently is wrong.
And consider that if you buy from a "private party", what if the weapon you purchase is 'stolen'? Buying thorough an FFL does add something of a 'safety net' if you want it. The seller AND buyer can be held accountable for an illegal gun sale per the ATF!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top