JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lately, I've begun going to the WAC gun shows here again. Today was the first one I've attended since HB1240 passed. Due to the impact of this new law, the AR guys and all their parts and accessories had vanished. Which diminished the size of the show. Loss of vendors reduces the revenue for the WAC. Both table money and reduced gate money from walk-ins who otherwise might've been attending in order to buy AR (or other) stuff.

All they did was sell more ARs and accessories in a condensed time frame. Ultimately, like 114 in Oregon, they missed their stated purpose by a million miles and claimed victory.

It's still a pain and inconvenience for law abiding citizens. Yet, I and many others still have, theirs. After the last several years of anti 2A laws, if you didn't obtain what you needed it wasn't a priority.

All they did was sell more ARs and accessories in a condensed time frame. Ultimately, like 114 in Oregon, they missed their stated purpose by a million miles and claimed victory.

It's still a pain and inconvenience for law abiding citizens. Yet, I and many others still have, theirs. After the last several years of anti 2A laws, if you didn't obtain what you needed it wasn't a priority.
That's the short game, and it doesn't really matter if the next subsequent generations can't "get theirs," interest wains as availability is restricted and before long, "the right" is meaningless to generations who've never grown to appreciate it.

ita not about you or me me me me ...... it's about our rights and passing those rights to the next generation and everyone else. It's such a FUDD selfish crap to hear from people , "well i have what i need , so tough luck to everyone else" Also the very same peole who are comfortable with this crap and continue to give in to every incremental infringment will be the frist to turn their crap over.....

One thing I came away from the show wondering about. At the show office desk, they had a little notice out that NO semi automatic rifles with detachable magazines could be bought or sold. When I asked, "Does that include a Remington Model 742, which has always been a sporting rifle and doesn't feature a barrel shroud?" This was answered in the affirmative.

On the way home, I stopped at a rifle range in Renton and the discussion was continued with two men I met there. They too stated that ALL centerfire semi autos with detachable magazines were included in the ban. I said, "Remington 742, Ruger Mini -14, and US M1 Carbine?" They said yes.

If true, I must've missed this in the final bill.

One thing I came away from the show wondering about. At the show office desk, they had a little notice out that NO semi automatic rifles with detachable magazines could be bought or sold. When I asked, "Does that include a Remington Model 742, which has always been a sporting rifle and doesn't feature a barrel shroud?" This was answered in the affirmative.

On the way home, I stopped at a rifle range in Renton and the discussion was continued with two men I met there. They too stated that ALL centerfire semi autos with detachable magazines were included in the ban. I said, "Remington 742, Ruger Mini -14, and US M1 Carbine?" They said yes.

Not all centerfire rifles were necessarily mentioned in the explicit list in 1240. But, the sections of the bill calling out features and their definitions of handguards or "barrel shroud"/detachable magazines have essentially banned everything. There's no reason this law should still be standing….

Last Edited:
Doesn't matter if he's been a member for 6 months or 6 years - being here longer doesn't somehow make someone's perspective more valid.
Not at all, I agree…

Unless you start ranting about that member being a FUDD and touting your moral high ground about fighting for gun rights when it appears that you only woke up to reality a year ago.

I have no issues with being passionate about something until you are bashing others to get your point across.

I don't think @nwslopoke and I have ever met IRL - maybe we have it's hard to remember every person Ive met here, but I know he isn't a FUDD and doesn't deserve to get ranted on because his comment was either taken incorrectly or plain did not sit well with another person.

I took a few years off cuz I got tired of the drama from the new kids and the website powers that be supporting them.

I'm not alone. Think about the prominent posters that disappeared around the summer of 2020 - I still am in touch with quite a few and they all left for the same or similar reasons.

I don't think you missed anything. I think it's that most people aren't very competent readers of legal documents. I've even read in NRA materials that "parts are banned" but the actual law is not that simple.

Not at all, I agree…

Unless you start ranting about that member being a FUDD and touting your moral high ground about fighting for gun rights when it appears that you only woke up to reality a year ago.

I have no issues with being passionate about something until you are bashing others to get your point across.

I don't think @nwslopoke and I have ever met IRL - maybe we have it's hard to remember every person Ive met here, but I know he isn't a FUDD and doesn't deserve to get ranted on because his comment was either taken incorrectly or plain did not sit well with another person.

I took a few years off cuz I got tired of the drama from the new kids and the website powers that be supporting them.

I'm not alone. Think about the prominent posters that disappeared around the summer of 2020 - I still am in touch with quite a few and they all left for the same or similar reasons.
Thanks. I appreciate the respect. I actually responded but deleted it. The initial point would have been lost in finger pointing.

I have only met a handful of folks from here. Mainly from sales and not the regulars. Unfortunately. Working Saturdays makes it hard to do the group clean ups.

This is the best forum I am aware of where adults share information. Not that I want an echo chamber but more often than not members seem to think more or less the same. The discussions are honest (sometimes brutally), funny and informative, which is rare in our present culture.

Last Edited:
Not all centerfire rifles were necessarily mentioned in the explicit list in 1240. But, the sections of the bill calling out features and their definition's of handguards or "barrel shroud"/detachable magazines have essentially banned everything.

Okay, I've gone back now three times and read the "session law" version. Which is the final word of the legislation. Yes, the banned rifle doesn't have to be on the list to be evil. After the list of specific models, the legislation says this:

"(iv) A semiautomatic, center fire rifle that has the capacity accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:" And the many evil features are listed.

Repeat, "a detachable magazine and one or more of the following" The word "and" is very important here. If it has a removeable magazine BUT no other evil feature thusly enumerated, it should be legal. The Remington 742 does not have a handguard that could be misconstrued (here is another argument re. that definition) as a "barrel shroud." Nor does the 742 have any other feature on the list. I'm saying by reading this text, it should be legal. So should the Ruger Mini-14 and US .30 M1 Carbine so long as they lack the listed evil features, even within a narrow interpretation of "barrel shroud." Because if a wooden handguard as fitted at the factory is removed, the gun becomes legal. It no longer has any of the secondary features on the list.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, I've gone back now three times and read the "session law" version. Which is the final word of the legislation. Yes, the banned rifle doesn't have to be on the list to be evil. After the list of specific models, the legislation says this:

"(iv) A semiautomatic, center fire rifle that has the capacity accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:" And the many evil features are listed.

Repeat, "a detachable magazine and one or more of the following" The word "and" is very important here. If it has a removeable magazine BUT no other evil feature thusly enumerated, it should be legal. The Remington 742 does not have a handguard that could be misconstrued (here is another argument re. that definition) as a "barrel shroud." Nor does the 742 have any other feature on the list. I'm saying by reading this text, it should be legal. So should the Ruger Mini-14 and US .30 M1 Carbine so long as they lack the listed evil features, even within a narrow interpretation of "barrel shroud." Because if a wooden handguard as fitted at the factory is removed, the gun becomes legal. It no longer has any of the secondary features on the list.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You aren't wrong. Does anyone distribute a Mini-14 with no handguard?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top