JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can't see on your website how I can post a message. Would you please help me do that? Here is what I want to know:

I purchased a FN FNX-45T (Tactical) and it has several problems. Has anyone encountered these or any other problems with this model pistol?

1) Stove-piping of fired rounds, both longitudinally inline with the barrel, and perpendicular to the barrel.

2) Ejection of casings into shooter's face, head and chest.

3) Intermittent failure of slide to lock back after final round is fired from magazine, regardless of number of rounds that are initially loaded into it.

For reference: I tried 3 different factory magazines, and I've shot around 800 rounds through it, (thus more than satisfying the "break-in period") which included 7 different manufacturers' ammo of new brass 230gr .45 cal ACP (including Remington, Winchester, Federal, Fiocchi, AMMO, Blazer Brass, Sellier & Belloit). I tried various double and single-handed holding techniques. Three of my friends, with decades of handgun experience shot my pistol, and had the same results.

I cleaned and lubricated the pistol, and sent it to the FN Factory for an analysis after firing about 400 rounds. Their report said that the gun arrived dirty and dry, and that the gunsmith found nothing out of spec with it. They blamed it on "shooter mechanics." Following examination, the video they took of the firing test showed correct functioning. They returned the pistol to me, and I fired about another 400 rounds through it. The same problem occurred, so I convinced the FN to re-examine the pistol. Their report was the same as the first time I sent it to them for analysis. At that point, I asked for a refund.

I am extremely disappointed that this "combat pistol" malfunctions frequently in several ways. I have not been able to find a pistol that feels this good in my hands, and has all the features that I seek in a tactical firearm. I'm interested in other peoples' experiences with the FNX-45T.

How much experience do you have shooting pistol? Is it possible you're limp wristing?
I have over 50 years, shooting experience with rifles, pistols, and shotguns. I am definitely not "limp-wristing" the pistol. Three of my friends also shot it. They have decades of shooting experience and expertise; one is ex-Army. Same problems experienced by them. All: I'm asking the forum, whether anybody has had the same problems with the FNX-45T.

It happens.

IMG_0116.png

Sounds like the recoil spring is too tough for the loads being used and isn't allowing the slide to move fully rearward. Is a slightly lighter spring available?
Got any +P ammo to try?

Hello @sufacedweller --
Welcome from the gun-totin' old broad contingent.

Apparently lots of people report the same problems you are having. The consensus appears to be that the FNX 45 Tactical is a military firearm designed for NATO ammo, which is more like our civilian +P. The spring is a little too heavy for standard American civilian ammo. Two recurring suggestions are to lock the slide back for a couple of weeks or to fire a couple hundred rounds of +P through it. After one or the other or both treatments the gun is apparently reliable with all ammo.

A few years back there were many on the internet who suggested loading all fnx45 tac mags full and leaving them for two weeks before bothering to shoot gun to avoid a frustrating introduction. Couldn't hurt to load all the mags and lock gun open a couple of weeks and try again. Maybe with +P ammo initially.

Apparently the problem is solvable using these tricks, and the gun will fire weak ammo after the break in period. Not every individual FNX45 Tac seems to have these break-in problems but apparently plenty do.

Last Edited:
Hello @sufacedweller --
Welcome from the gun-totin' old broad contingent.

Apparently lots of people report the same problems you are having. The consensus appears to be that the FNX 45 Tactical is a military firearm designed for NATO ammo, which is more like our civilian +P. The spring is a little too heavy for standard American civilian ammo. Two recurring suggestions are to lock the slide back for a couple of weeks or to fire a couple hundred rounds of +P through it. After one or the other or both treatments the gun is apparently reliable with all ammo.

A few years back there were many on the internet who suggested loading all fnx45 tac mags full and leaving them for two weeks before bothering to shoot gun to avoid a frustrating introduction. Couldn't hurt to load all the mags and lock gun open a couple of weeks and try again. Maybe with +P ammo initially.

Apparently the problem is solvable using these tricks, and the gun will fire weak ammo after the break in period. Not every individual FNX45 Tac seems to have these break-in problems but apparently plenty do.
Thank you SO much for the polite, considerate and knowledgeable response/information. What you wrote is very useful to me. And it's about the weapon itself, not any speculation about me, or my capabilities, nor any snarky comments from people who likely need to feel superior to others because they're so insecure themselves. I appreciate your help very much!

it's about the weapon itself, not any speculation about me, or my capabilities, nor any snarky comments from people who likely need to feel superior to others because they're so insecure themselves. I appreciate your help very much!
You're relatively new here. The report from FN indicates that you sent them a dry, dirty gun. I made no speculation on you or your abilities, my question was a result of FN having no problem with your firearm when you reported problems.

Welcome sufacedweller, Don't hold it against all the members here for the "snarky" responses. Apparently this forum is a breeding ground for untested comedians and bored, easily humored members.

Glad a few members had helpful responses.

You're relatively new here. The report from FN indicates that you sent them a dry, dirty gun. I made no speculation on you or your abilities, my question was a result of FN having no problem with your firearm when you reported problems.
Yeabut you're being snarky

.45 ain't for everyone

Thank you SO much for the polite, considerate and knowledgeable response/information. What you wrote is very useful to me. And it's about the weapon itself, not any speculation about me, or my capabilities, nor any snarky comments from people who likely need to feel superior to others because they're so insecure themselves. I appreciate your help very much!
Hello @sufacedweller . Yeah. I thought those initial comments were kinda snarky too. That sometimes happens, especially with newcomers. Especially with the first few responses. But bear with us. Sooner or later someone helpful usually weighs in. But the first page of responses can be all over the map. Admittedly we have been getting a lot of complete beginners on the forum the last few years. But there was no reason you should have got responses from us that assumed you were a beginner. Your description of the problem was thorough, and it was clear you were no novice with semiautos, and had already eliminated the obvious problems such as limp wristing or any other problems with your grip, and had tried several different kinds of ammo, and gun cleaning--the obvious things that one usually suggests to novices. I note that @orygun nailed the problem exactly just from your description of the malfunctions . And came up with good relevant suggestions. I was not so sophisticated. I just happened to have been watching internet info on the FNX 45 tac for a few years because I intermittently covet one. (But every time I get near to buying one, I get seduced by another .44 mag revolver.) So I knew other people had problems with the breaking in period on the FN45 Tac too. And that it was a breaking in problem, not defective guns. Note that one of the messages in the FN forum was a suggestion as to what exact Glock spring you could substitute if the standard break-in tricks for the FNX 45 dont work.

Happy New Year!
Carol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews