JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Capture.JPG

Yeah, divorced, kids grown up, and I make too much. I might get $1500 back. I miss the $8k tax refunds as well...

Only have one kid, and he's away at college. The tuition deduction is nice, though. My wife and I make pretty good money, we just both claim 'married, withhold at single rate'. $1500 isn't bad, better than owing at least.

Refunds may be a little smaller this year due to the way the IRS has restructured withholding because of the tax cut bill from last year.

I withhold at a pretty high rate so I usually get a pretty large refund. I know it's not smart to allow the Guv to keep my money all year... but I've tangled w the IRS before and did NOT enjoy it one little bit.

Intimidation is their game and they're VERY good at it.

Refunds may be a little smaller this year due to the way the IRS has restructured withholding because of the tax cut bill from last year.

I withhold at a pretty high rate so I usually get a pretty large refund. I know it's not smart to allow the Guv to keep my money all year... but I've tangled w the IRS before and did NOT enjoy it one little bit.

Intimidation is their game and they're VERY good at it.

I noticed that. My refund was less with roughly the same amount of deductions. I also ran afoul of IRS regs due to withholding levels when I was young and right outta college, and vowed never again. With the low interest rates these days you aren't really losing out on much. I used my 2017 refund to pay off my boat, which felt great.

I was pleasantly surprised I got almost $6k back this year.
We have two small kids, and a mortgage so that helps.

And my wife quit her $90k a year job a year and a half ago, and made a whopping $16k last year.

But were much happier.

I opted for a new utility trailer and a family trip to go back and visit my wife's family this summer.

I used the my 2017 refund to pay off my boat, which felt great.
That's a smart move, using a refund to pay off a loan (that charges interest). My refund from 2017 (first refund since the IRS stopped keeping them) sat in my savings account for most of 2018. I used some while my sweetie was out of work w a health issue, then put most of the rest of it paying cash for a newer vehicle last November. Selling the two older but less reliable vehicles replenished that expenditure.

Not necessarily A-1 financial management, but it keeps me out of credit card and vehicle debt.

Not necessarily A-1 financial management, but it keeps me out of credit card and vehicle debt.

That is really awesome, actually. We are the same way about cars. I drive a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer i bought for $3K, and my wife drives a 2006 Honda Pilot we also paid cash for. I rent a lot of cars since I travel for work, and the 'new car' effect wears off really quickly. I'd rather wait and buy a used Yukon for cash and let someone else take the depreciation hit than be stuck with a 500/600 dollar car payment.

That is really awesome, actually. We are the same way about cars. I drive a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer i bought for $3K
I paid $4800 cash for my '02 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 20190128_032816.jpg
Neat as a pin w 113k miles. I could have lived w my '93 F150 (manual windows, locks, trans, and a vinyl bench seat.... barbaric) for a while longer, but this critter was too clean to pass on... not a ding or scratch on 'er. An "impulse" buy, but a smart one.

My GF's car is a paid-off '07 Mazda 6 but she's not very in-tune with it... I have a feeling she's gonna join me in the "old car" market before long... I fix the stuff she tells me about but it makes some odd noises in Japanese that I don't understand.

Don't mean to hijack the thread... mostly wishing that I had made better decisions in the past so that my tax refund was a pleasant surprise vs a defense against my own government coming after me to pay for their pet social programs and fiscal malpractice... oops, may have let that slip a little bit

Ouch, that must have been a tough decision.

It was, but we just had our 2nd child. He was about a year old at the time. She was working 6 days a week, usually 10 hours days and stressed out.
She only got to see the kids really one day a week. They were in bed by the time she got home during the week.
I was the one pushing her to quit.
You only get one chance to be a parent and do it right. Kids grow up too fast.
We have been much happier. Better for our kids, and better for our marriage.

Lol.

We got a sizable return, but our Tempurpedic is going on 10 years now and we both decided a new mattress is the big purchase this year.

Any thoughts as to what new gun @Tarawa86

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top