JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Capture.JPG

Yeah, divorced, kids grown up, and I make too much. I might get $1500 back. I miss the $8k tax refunds as well...

Only have one kid, and he's away at college. The tuition deduction is nice, though. My wife and I make pretty good money, we just both claim 'married, withhold at single rate'. $1500 isn't bad, better than owing at least.

Refunds may be a little smaller this year due to the way the IRS has restructured withholding because of the tax cut bill from last year.

I withhold at a pretty high rate so I usually get a pretty large refund. I know it's not smart to allow the Guv to keep my money all year... but I've tangled w the IRS before and did NOT enjoy it one little bit.

Intimidation is their game and they're VERY good at it.

Refunds may be a little smaller this year due to the way the IRS has restructured withholding because of the tax cut bill from last year.

I withhold at a pretty high rate so I usually get a pretty large refund. I know it's not smart to allow the Guv to keep my money all year... but I've tangled w the IRS before and did NOT enjoy it one little bit.

Intimidation is their game and they're VERY good at it.

I noticed that. My refund was less with roughly the same amount of deductions. I also ran afoul of IRS regs due to withholding levels when I was young and right outta college, and vowed never again. With the low interest rates these days you aren't really losing out on much. I used my 2017 refund to pay off my boat, which felt great.

I was pleasantly surprised I got almost $6k back this year.
We have two small kids, and a mortgage so that helps.

And my wife quit her $90k a year job a year and a half ago, and made a whopping $16k last year.

But were much happier.

I opted for a new utility trailer and a family trip to go back and visit my wife's family this summer.

I used the my 2017 refund to pay off my boat, which felt great.
That's a smart move, using a refund to pay off a loan (that charges interest). My refund from 2017 (first refund since the IRS stopped keeping them) sat in my savings account for most of 2018. I used some while my sweetie was out of work w a health issue, then put most of the rest of it paying cash for a newer vehicle last November. Selling the two older but less reliable vehicles replenished that expenditure.

Not necessarily A-1 financial management, but it keeps me out of credit card and vehicle debt.

Not necessarily A-1 financial management, but it keeps me out of credit card and vehicle debt.

That is really awesome, actually. We are the same way about cars. I drive a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer i bought for $3K, and my wife drives a 2006 Honda Pilot we also paid cash for. I rent a lot of cars since I travel for work, and the 'new car' effect wears off really quickly. I'd rather wait and buy a used Yukon for cash and let someone else take the depreciation hit than be stuck with a 500/600 dollar car payment.

That is really awesome, actually. We are the same way about cars. I drive a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer i bought for $3K
I paid $4800 cash for my '02 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 20190128_032816.jpg
Neat as a pin w 113k miles. I could have lived w my '93 F150 (manual windows, locks, trans, and a vinyl bench seat.... barbaric) for a while longer, but this critter was too clean to pass on... not a ding or scratch on 'er. An "impulse" buy, but a smart one.

My GF's car is a paid-off '07 Mazda 6 but she's not very in-tune with it... I have a feeling she's gonna join me in the "old car" market before long... I fix the stuff she tells me about but it makes some odd noises in Japanese that I don't understand.

Don't mean to hijack the thread... mostly wishing that I had made better decisions in the past so that my tax refund was a pleasant surprise vs a defense against my own government coming after me to pay for their pet social programs and fiscal malpractice... oops, may have let that slip a little bit

Ouch, that must have been a tough decision.

It was, but we just had our 2nd child. He was about a year old at the time. She was working 6 days a week, usually 10 hours days and stressed out.
She only got to see the kids really one day a week. They were in bed by the time she got home during the week.
I was the one pushing her to quit.
You only get one chance to be a parent and do it right. Kids grow up too fast.
We have been much happier. Better for our kids, and better for our marriage.

Lol.

We got a sizable return, but our Tempurpedic is going on 10 years now and we both decided a new mattress is the big purchase this year.

Any thoughts as to what new gun @Tarawa86

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads