JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd lean toward the Rossi lever gun, as I had a Rossi 92 in 45LC used heavily for cowboy matches, over a decade. My model was apparently indestructible and fired anything I fed it. Even after getting it 'slicked up' by a cowboy 'smith, it still handled more like an agricultural implement, yet it performed very reliably. Up to 4 shooters at a match @ 60 rounds each x2 matches/month=6000 rounds/year. Over the decade, granted there was only ONE shooter, yet some periods had 2-3-4. Minimal cleaning now & then, accurate enough out to at least 100 yards, covers a lot of field conditions I'd expect in my own 'bug out' scenario.

If S really did HTF, I would take an AR platform hands down. Half the homes in america will either still have one sitting in them, or parts for them, ammo, or all three. I know I couldn't grab all of mine if I had to leave my home.

If S really did HTF, I would take an AR platform hands down. Half the homes in america will either still have one sitting in them, or parts for them, ammo, or all three. I know I couldn't grab all of mine if I had to leave my home.
Yep, Americans favorite rifle.

When some other guy with one starts firing first and asking questions second, I'd want to be able to do the same.

A grenade launcher would be more ideal, but I'm not allowed to have those.

What's the saying.

Something, something, superior firepower.

Some .22 is definitely better than others in terms of reliability, but if we are entering the 'what if' land of conversation. Adding a 10/22 and a barrel of ammo to the mix adds a significant amount of options more than simply an AR and some .223

Even if you are dead set against the 10/22 for whatever reason, a .22 BCG and a few mags multiplies your .223 chambered AR's longevity because those brick(s) of .22 will be around a lot longer than whatever amount of mags of .223 is brought.

If it's car transported, 5000 of .22 rounds can easily be transported in a shoebox sized container. That volume simply cannot be ignored.

If it's man transported than we enter an entirely different 'what if' scenario.

I agree with a 10/22 being a great choice, it's light & so is 1-2k ammo. I can shoot an eye out at 50+ yards and have fed myself many a meal of rabbit, grouse & other small game over the years without a scope adjustment.;)
Would I feel comfortable in a shootout situation? Yes, with my life's training, cover & concealment, Yes I would.

Based on your list, .308 + 10/22.

I agree a suppresor would be good for the .22.

Whatever you pick, try strapping all that bubblegum on and walking 10 miles.

I think you will end up dumping the .357 and trading the 10/22 for a single shot, and if you try to carry enough ammo, and walk 10 miles, the .308 Will turn into a .223, and you might look for ultralight options for the .22 stock. I ended up making one out of carbon fiber.

The OP will require fishing gear, and salmon + steelhead gear + bait/lures can get heavy too, you also need a tent big enough to fit your gear and you and keep it dry, or a big tent. + lots of food, and maybe cooking fuel.

Everything adds up.

I can't say I backpack often enough to be "training" but I do it often enough to know that bugging IN is a much better bet.

Stashing 6 months of food and water, and hardening your home to repel invaders, and outfitting you and a partner with a cheap ar15 is really only a $5,000 expense.

^^^This right here^^^
Bug out if you want but you must be prepared for when your vehicle can go no further, what are you going to be able to take with you, on your back and what dare you leave behind?
Take along a pistol, 10/22 & .308 & the appropriate amount of ammo you think you will need.
It seems from your posts that you are a younger adult and could possibly carry quite a good bit, if you are in good shape. I suggest getting a large heavy duty pack and put in it what you will need to survive for a week, less water you can get water on the way to where you going. Then get out and treck a lot with it.

I've been talking w some friends about rodent control. Specifically, squirrels. A couple of them use airguns, .177 Ruger-branded Umarex rifles to be precise. These things will reliably put a squirrel down w a single shot using a flat-nosed pellet (better than the cone pellets, from what I'm told). Quiet (for the neighbors at this point), reliable, and accurate.
Downside is... what?

From what I have heard, air rifles have come a long way baby, since the 60's when I had the new and improved Crosman pump.
The thing is I couldn't hit s*** with this thing so I gave it to my brother and I use my old pump BB gun.;)
Hell I've even heard of models that can take down big animals in Zimbabwe!!!:eek:

Last Edited:
For those recommending a single-shot .22lr: any suggestions? Anything being currently produced, or should I start looking at pawn shops?
It's a good point about the weight, one I hadn't really considered before... a semiauto is really unnecessary for tree-rats and such. I'd hate to lose my 30 yr old Model 60 to a looting mob, but I'd rather be able to move quickly if needed.

I would recommend a Chipmunk/et. al. - there are lightweight kits to turn them into a one pound pack rifle, and they are a bolt action so quite a bit faster to reload than my Pack Rifle (which has a slow action that you have to swing open).

I believe Savage makes a youth model bolt action similar to the Chipmunk, but I don't know of any kits to make it take-down or lighter weight.

Regardless, for me, the goal is a lightweight rimfire rifle that is accurate and preferably stainless or something similar (mine is mostly aluminum and carbon fiber).

Regarding the reliability of rimfire ammo, while I agree it is not made for self-defense and statistically it won't be as reliable as centerfire, I would not use it for that purpose - it is for hunting only.

Also, a person can use something like a suppressed Browning Buckmark or something similar to have something lightweight but accurate. A pistol brace might be available. A takedown Ruger Charger, with skeleton stock and lightweight minimal pistol brace, carbon fiber barrel and a prismatic scope or red dot would be heavier, but lighter than a 10/22.

OTOH, handloaded 5.56 can replicate .22 rimfire ballistics if you have a self-defense rifle in 5.56 that is accurate enough to be used for rabbit hunting. So there is that option.

I am not a fan of rimfire conversion kits for an AR; the problem is that you have just crippled your self-defense rifle, you probably can't convert it quick/quiet enough to take that rabbit or grouse that you just happened to come upon, and then if you are surprised by a hostile, good luck getting it back to 5.56 capability fast enough to defend yourself. Single loading in a special handload is much faster to load and get back to self-defense mode, even though it isn't powerful enough to cycle the action.

My ak and FAL are what I'd grab.

Both good choices, but I would choose one or the other, not both at the same time.

A Kalashnikov in 7.62x39 is fine for west of the Cascades - even for elk if you place your shots carefully (preferably with a heavier bullet load). My grandfather took more elk and bear with a .30-30 than most people in this forum have ever seen, and did it before any of them were born. The 7.62x39 approaches the ballistics of the .30-30, but falls off with heavier bullets.

The FN-FAL would be my choice for east of the Cascades were you could put it to good use with the wide open spaces there, shooting the larger mule deer and elk and maybe antelope if you are lucky to see one close enough. The adjustable gas regulator is good for whatever loads you may have. The rifle is also very configurable with various uppers, lowers and furniture - not as much as an AR, but it is more robust IMO and I like it better.

would recommend a Chipmunk/et. al. - there are lightweight kits to turn them into a one pound pack rifle

I have a chipmunk. Only issue with them is the screw part that mounts it to the stock is brazed on. I snapped mine off working on it. The pack rifle conversion clamps to that part.

Situation:
-You have enough time to grab 2 of the following long arms on your way to bug out.
-You have sufficient ammo ready to go for whatever you pick.
-You have a p229 in 9mm on your person
-You have an sp101 in .357 on you.
-Bug out location is the Olympic Peninsula

Long arm options
-Ruger American Predator .308
-Rossi lever 16" in .357
-Remington 870 Express with 18.5" barrel
-Ruger 10/22
-Keltec sub2000 p226 mag version (9mm)

We seem to have arrived at the same destination but taken different roads to get there. I have very similar firearms...

P229 40 S&W and 357 Sig conversion barrel, eventually acquiring the 9mm caliber X-Change
Model 60 bead blasted, Hi Viz green sight and Pachmayr Guardian Grip (1/2 time EDC)
10/22 Liberty Training Rifle
870 12 Gauge Police Magnum with Full Service refinishing by Vang Comp

..., so my choices would have easily included those you listed as options considering that I was bugging out to the OP. As an addendum I too will not own/buy a Glock (raked grip angle) or an AR (2 failures while in the service). Finally, I have been researching the Winchester 357 Magnum (1873 or 1892, undecided) and either a Ruger American Predator or a Ruger Scout Rifle to offset my Springfield Scout.

I've only just started my research for a 308 bolt action, but I will include the Tikka now as an option. Thank you for your input.

They are more expensive but WELL worth the cost IMHO. I love my Tikka in 308. They are tack drivers right out of the box if you go that way you will not be sorry.

IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0712.JPG

The target is at 300 yards off of a bipod with 175 grain match ammo. ;)

With 20 years of combat experience and 17 full deployments over a 13 year period continuous, I got this down! I much prefer a standard "Enhansed" load out, a FN/FAL, a CAR 16-607 and a 1911 double stack 10mm auto. The AR has a .22 Conversion for utility, and uses the same can for both flavors. The ammo count for all this is fairly light considering. 13 mags of 5.56, 9 mags of .308 and 5 mags of 10mm and 1000 rounds mixed .22
Future plans are to supplement an M-4 Survival type take down in 5.56/300 B.O with the same can as the AR and ammo and mag merchantability with the target weight of about pounds! Total load out of weps and ammo is 34 pounds with the three weps! That leaves me 87 pounds of every thing else to keep me at my target weight for a rapid 20 miles in boots! Beyond that, something to add in here, both long guns can be broken down and hidden in my pack and still leaves me with a good powerful side arm with plenty of ammo!
For those who do not have a FAL, you really should have one, it makes the very best long range tool because of its abilities outside of any other .308 fighting rifle including bolt actions! Being able to break it down is a super handy ability, and while the ARs habe this option, few offer the same capabilities!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top