JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Promaster with studded snow tires and FWD does nicely on ice/snow. I wouldn't drive it up any Jeep trails or anything truly off-road. I agree with the above - FWD > RWD - engine/trans weight over the front helps especially when she is empty inside.

Shift on the fly.
Doesn't work on many older 4WD transfer cases. With my '92 Toyota I am lucky if I can get into or out of 4WD when it is standing still. With the Dodge it is easier (it has "automatic" front axle engagement - called CAD), but still not recommended to shift into 4WD while moving. For either rig, it is especially not recommended to shift into 4WD under load.

The Dodge will eventually get a CAD delete and manual hubs. This is a SHTF vehicle and I want it to be as simple as possible. Removing the vacuum line/etc. makes it simpler. Both vehicles will eventually get locking diffs too.

4WD > AWD > FWD > RWD

It just is

That said, someone with some common sense in a FWD with some decent tires, is in alot better shape than some one without it in a 4WD.
Like I said, a person needs to know the limits of a vehicle, and I have tested those limits on many land vehicles of different kinds and I've seen every kind of land vehicle stuck in snow and mud. I don't go out in the mud for the fun of it anymore - it is just too much work - I only go where I have to when I have to.

These are Hagglunds. They originally come from Sweden. The originals are amphibious. Interestingly, when you go in reverse, the rear tracks do the steering. There is a vid of the guy who modifies them (puts Chevys on the front tracks) backing up quite a distance on a tight narrow snow covered road in high elevation because of ice/avalanche danger.

If I had the $ to spare, I would get several of these from the Extreme guy. At least one of the original to have an amphibious vehicle, and one of his extreme variations with a club cab. He puts spikes/studs on some tracks to better handle icy snow.

A couple days ago I binge watched various tracked vehicles vids.

The Matt Tracks are nice, but not near as durable as the Hagglunds - one guy in Bend uses Matt Tracks on a Jeep Cherokee to rescue people in the snow, but found that in certain conditions the snow packed into the track drive wheels so much that it would force the tracks off the drive wheel - still, it would be really nice to have those for my trucks - I doubt I would have problems here.

The Hagglunds are what you would want for places like Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, etc.

Sur Ron is coming out with a snowbike kit for their electric bikes for $2K. That would be an excellent backup/alternative bike for scouting around in the snow - quiet and goes places a snowmobile can't.

Argo 6x6 or 8x8 vs British Supacat.... I remember ads for the Argos in all the hunting mags, Popular Mechanics and Popular Science... both are amphibous. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1527733905.143335.jpg 625-50_3.jpg ace826edbd4c8c7280576a6d93265c0a.jpg Argo-Log.png SUPACAT_ATMP_Mk3_pic2.jpeg 3f841c4511b917dfa30b771805308734.jpg ATMP02.png

Argo 6x6 or 8x8 vs British Supacat.... I remember ads for the Argos in all the hunting mags, Popular Mechanics and Popular Science... both are amphibous. View attachment 1114259View attachment 1114260View attachment 1114262View attachment 1114261View attachment 1114263View attachment 1114264View attachment 1114265
The vids I saw with Argos - they seem to be underpowered for climbing out of creeks/rivers with steep inclines - they had to be pulled out by a winch or other vehicle.

I got the impression from those tracked vehicles (like the Hagglunds) with single tracks vs a track on each wheel (like he Matt Tracks) and others (dozers, etc.), that the single tracks are tippy compared to those with multiple tracks.

The vids I saw with Argos - they seem to be underpowered for climbing out of creeks/rivers with steep inclines - they had to be pulled out by a winch or other vehicle.

I got the impression from those tracked vehicles (like the Hagglunds) with single tracks vs a track on each wheel (like he Matt Tracks) and others (dozers, etc.), that the single tracks are tippy compared to those with multiple tracks.
Yeah, I wonder whats up with the apparent low power for the Argos... and they're still spendy, as spendy as a decent used truck :eek: on the other hand, the Supacats seems pretty powerful enough... and then you have the Steyr Haflingers and in theory.. the Japanese 4x4 mini truck/kei cabover trucks thats pretty popular with farmers...

Im currently building some sort of 6 wheel, 4x6, 670cc v-twin, 3 seater go kart/buggy/sand rail thingy. Im doing a similar seat setup to the Chenworth photo. Ill make brakets on the skis so I can strap the front wheels in for snow. Paddle tires on the rear for sand/snow. Knobbies for dirt.

20220117_121508.jpg 20220117_121523.jpg 20220109_011643.jpg 20211226_010058.jpg 28988012f6abb2c469da3d30f5b3aed5.jpg 20211226_005415.jpg

Last Edited:
Wow! Only issue I have with that rig is the price...without actually doing the math,, it looks to be over $400k per vehicle.

I have my old Honda CT 110's, and my boat. Still looking for a PUG in decent shape.

If you had to bug out, what kind of vehicle do you use. Special vehicle or daily driver, emp resistant? Do you keep it fueled up, do you practice never letting the vehicle get less than half a tank, do you store extra fuel, parts, etc?

My rig, always a work in process when I have some time...View attachment 856356

Have the parts to convert to run WVO and about 400 gallons of WVO at home plus 2 centrifuges to process WVO. Pull out solar panels, 200w solar on the trailer, soldering work station, Satellite TV, both vehicle and trailer have independent diesel electric furnaces onboard for heat in colder temps.
Damn no pictures since it's late I just bought/traded a amc eagle wagon/3000 for a factory Aussie fj60. I'm currently thinking of ways to beef it into a doom machine. :) I think I may steal your solar power idea maybe a pop up tent. To many decisions ughhgg :)

If you had to bug out, what kind of vehicle do you use. Special vehicle or daily driver, emp resistant? Do you keep it fueled up, do you practice never letting the vehicle get less than half a tank, do you store extra fuel, parts, etc?

My rig, always a work in process when I have some time...View attachment 856356

Have the parts to convert to run WVO and about 400 gallons of WVO at home plus 2 centrifuges to process WVO. Pull out solar panels, 200w solar on the trailer, soldering work station, Satellite TV, both vehicle and trailer have independent diesel electric furnaces onboard for heat in colder temps.
😲👍

Not a daily driver, always fueled up when it reaches 3/4 of a tank, EMP resistant, batteries are isolated from each other and vehicle system when not being driven. All mechanical engine.

I do need to put some fresh rubber up front and will likely this summer put a new radiator for better cooling in it...

My personal vehicles never are allowed below half a tank and my work van is kept above half a tank with very rare exceptions.

You bug out folks....do you really think roads will be passable? Or your bug out spot is not already occupied? Remember, one way in one way out. Someone comes in behind and you're fooked. Just an observation. But good for fantasy gaming, I suppose.

Roads, We don't need no stinkin Roads!
1645301543460.png
Resto modded Trackster with hopped up Predator Big Block V-Twin, 50 HP and modded hydros and over sized drive sprockets, does 38 MPH Flat out and will climb trees and anything else, plus it floats! Weighs just under a thousand pounds and carries 4 adults easy and can pull a full sized F-250 up a drive way! Fuel burn is around a gallon and a quarter per hour, carries 8 gallons on board! Have new tracks coming for it in the next few days, should make a serious improvement to what is already outstanding performance!

You bug out folks....do you really think roads will be passable? Or your bug out spot is not already occupied? Remember, one way in one way out. Someone comes in behind and you're fooked. Just an observation. But good for fantasy gaming, I suppose.
Most likely short term issues where I live are weather related; snow/ice/wind and maybe flood (I live on a mountain, but to get into town I pass thru multiple flood zones). Snow/ice/wind/etc. are issues I could deal with - usually - with a 4x4 and a chainsaw. Floods, not so easily, but generally flooded areas usually do not block the roads on the routes I would use.

Long term, one likely scenario is an earthquake, in which case roads would indeed be severely affected and probably be impassable by regular vehicles. An off-road capable bicycle/motorcycle might work in such cases - I have used them in terrain that most 4 wheeled vehicles could not easily navigate. If a bridge is out, and that could be quite probable, then that is an issue - but the two bridges I (or my children) would need to cross are relatively new and rated for earthquake resistance.

I live at my "BOL" and I have neighbors who watch out for my interests, but my kids live in town, so getting to them to retrieve them and/or them getting to me is a concern.

Beyond that, vehicles can be used for things like hauling firewood/etc. out of the woods, or going into town to get meds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top