JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are valid reasons to bug out.

For example, wildfire. This is a real threat for people like me who live on a mountain full of dry fuel at least three months out of the year. Several times there have been fires up here that if it weren't for TVFR our homes would probably have been cinders.

Then there is earthquakes - very few homes here are earthquake proof. Especially certain residences - e.g., apartment buildings, older buildings built with brick, etc.

Then there are wind storms and freezing rain. I lived thru the Columbus Day storm in 1962 and not a few homes were destroyed by falling trees or had their roofs torn off. Most every year the PNW gets a good windstorm, not like 1962, but in certain areas there are sometimes houses damaged to the point where at least some part of them is uninhabitable.

Generally, most of these kinds of emergencies can be escaped (partially) by evacuation, hopefully by vehicle - but whether that is true or not, one should have at least a plan, and preferably be ready to leave with essentials quickly.

"Bug out bags" are a prepper fantasy, 99% of the people who think they would go live in the wilderness would die of exposure, bad water, starvation or other injury within the first few months unless they were aided by established society.

Having a bag of gear ready for "X scenario envisioned" isn't a bad idea, it's a great idea, but keeping it based in reality is important.

I learned about this from my 11 yr old grandson
Just wait for the glitch, lads!
807FA12B-5313-4C82-916F-839B7B35E51E.jpeg

I keep a BOB in my car, but it is really just a "get back home" bag. Water filter, some rations, small tent, knife, dry clothes, thermal underwear, FAK, compass, etc. It is for use in case of social insurrection, earthquake, terrorist attack, or whatever where I can't drive home. Since I carry I have a firearm with me when I'm in the car, plus keep some additional ammo in the trunk (have to remember to leave gun and ammo at home when I drive to Canada). At least I can hopefully get towards the woods away from people and slowly make my way back to my house. Better than nothing!

Last Edited:
If things got that grim where you couldn't be home, being combat effective would be a low priority for me.
Never understood the whole bug out thing, unless you live in a major city. It'd make more sense to move out to at least the burbs or further if you can pull it off before a major incident happens.

Right? Use all the prep money on a down payment on a house somewhere.

"Bug out bags" are a prepper fantasy, 99% of the people who think they would go live in the wilderness would die of exposure, bad water, starvation or other injury within the first few months unless they were aided by established society.

Having a bag of gear ready for "X scenario envisioned" isn't a bad idea, it's a great idea, but keeping it based in reality is important.
BOBs don't necessarily mean that someone is going to go live in the wilderness.

BOBs can be, and initially were, meant to serve to bug out to a BOL. What a BOL consists of can be a wilderness camp, or it could be cabin in the woods, or it could be a hotel in another city. Having a BOB setup and ready to go is a good idea, regardless of where you bug out to. It is better than nothing.

FWIW, I live at my BOL

BOBs don't necessarily mean that someone is going to go live in the wilderness.

BOBs can be, and initially were, meant to serve to bug out to a BOL. What a BOL consists of can be a wilderness camp, or it could be cabin in the woods, or it could be a hotel in another city. Having a BOB setup and ready to go is a good idea, regardless of where you bug out to. It is better than nothing.

FWIW, I live at my BOL

Yep, completely valid - keeping a bag packed with "essentials" so that you could go to another location "in a hurry" if needed is a great thing to have, if nothing else because it makes heading out of town to have fun for the weekend really easy.

People who live in areas prone to severe weather like fire, hurricanes, tornados, etc, would easily benefit from keeping a bag like that ready to go.

My comment was more specifically directed at the concept of "going to bug out to the wilderness" - over the years this type of idea has been thoroughly fantasized by preppers in whatever version of societal collapse they may envision.

The phrase, "get real" comes to mind. Apart from severe weather phenomenon or fire/earthquake - leaving the relative safety of the already established home to go elsewhere with limited resources seems like it would be a poor choice.

By all means, everyone keep a bag ready to go, but keeping it realistic is where my beef is.

Light, fast and handy is how it's done! I don't plan to bug out, but Get Home where I have what I need to hole up and survive off the grid for a while!
Figuring if I'm away from home, it's all going to have to be carried on my person on foot, so the less you actually need, the better!
Every thing I carry will fit my back pack, including weapons and ammo, and the must have food rations and water! It's not light, but i'm in shape, and have been packing this size/weight thousands of miles over the last 30 years, so i know what I can carry and how far, and in what conditions! A lot of folks seem to think they are going to need a whole bunch of stuff, but the first time they have to hump it any distance, in the cold and rain, up hill, across a river, for 50 miles, you would laugh your arse off at the trail of useless crap they leave behind, sort of a trail of bread crumbs to follow! Seen it hundreds of time's doing SAR, folks go out in the wilds packing all sorts of useless crap they don't need, or don't know how to use, and then they toss it to lighten the load that they suddenly have to pack, especially when dehydrated and or injured!

Working security I have gradually accumulated a vehicle full of essentials. Rather than going out to the middle of nowhere I would likely commandeer a nondescript warehouse. I know of more than a few. Let's see, limited access, concrete walls, "kill box" at solitary entry point, "supplies" or trade goods. Heck even an empty warehouse, clean dry and cool sounds good. The areas they are in are generally free of residences, some are quite isolated.

Far better than sleeping on the ground and pooping in a hole.

As with several other members here, I have a lot of past experience with packs, patrolling and road marches. There are three basic types of packs I've employed in my past lives -

The Campaign Pack - Rule number one of the Grunt Life, light infantry isn't. This is the type of pack that's carried on foot everywhere and is stuffed with all the gear higher ups think you need for sustained operations - food, water, hygiene kit, extra uniforms, ammunition for crew served weapons, etc. These usually weigh in at over 100 pounds and the large size Alice was the one I usually carried. There's almost no chance of stealth due to the heft and you had better be in very good physical condition to travel any distance with it on your back.

The Patrol Pack - The rule is mission essentials only, keep the size and weight to a minimum. The intent is operating in the field for three to seven days without resupply yet maintaining capability to move rapidly and unnoticed. I preferred the small Alice pack; one side had a 2-qt canteen, the other a pouch for six extra magazines, large first aid kit, several pairs of socks, minimal food, rope, rain parka, etc. I tried very hard to keep the weight down to under 45 pounds but seldom could.

The Security/Assault Pack - The idea is carrying the minimal items for 24 hours or less of either physical security duty or a short vehicle operation. Some sort of hydration bladder carrier works great. Keep it under 20 pounds; water, food, a few spare magazines, socks, bug spray, first aid kit. Small and light.

So, for the topic at hand, a bug out bag would be somewhere between a patrol pack and an assault pack. Bugging out means getting from where you are the a pre-determined safe location.

As noted previously, longterm survival in some remote woodland without resupply or a support is impractical; few of us are in good enough condition to carry all of the gear needed.

My suggestion for packs is a get-home pack and then a basic security pack, both tailored to your circumstances and home neighborhood.

In any survival situation, there is no way any of us can keep our individual homes secure by ourselves. It's going to require a network of neighbors and allies mutually supporting each other. Build connections now and prepare to work within that larger team.

Set yourself up with the gear to equip friends and family that are late to the party - arms, ammo and a small patrol pack for each. You will need the help, they need the leadership.

I've rambled a bit but hopefully added a little re food for thought.

Working security I have gradually accumulated a vehicle full of essentials. Rather than going out to the middle of nowhere I would likely commandeer a nondescript warehouse. I know of more than a few. Let's see, limited access, concrete walls, "kill box" at solitary entry point, "supplies" or trade goods. Heck even an empty warehouse, clean dry and cool sounds good. The areas they are in are generally free of residences, some are quite isolated.

Far better than sleeping on the ground and pooping in a hole.

My house is more isolated than any warehouse in any town or city, and I have neighbors (with guns) to protect it. Plus it has its own water supply (multiple ones if you count the pond and creek), deer and rabbits regularly visit it, and wild edibles grow up around it. Antifa has to travel 30 miles to get to it, if they can find it.

In short, stay out of any city or town.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews