JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey, I still only have the one, They stopped making/importing the one I have, and I really wanted another one in 6.5X55 Swede! Dammit, and damn Beretta! I sold off my Finnlight to get that Tikka. Wife loves her little .243 T3 Light, that little sucker is so quick and accurate, makes it look so easy!

maxresdefault.jpg

Hey, I still only have the one, They stopped making/importing the one I have, and I really wanted another one in 6.5X55 Swede! Dammit, and damn Beretta! I sold off my Finnlight to get that Tikka. Wife loves her little .243 T3 Light, that little sucker is so quick and accurate, makes it look so easy!

View attachment 496465

Damn brother are you going blind?o_O Look at the size of those numbers on that thar scope. I could adjust that thing for you from here!!! :p:D

LOL, That's how it came, it's a Fast Zero scope, and I hated it! Sold it with the rifle, and was glad to be rid of it! The dude what bought it pulled it off so fast it would have made yer eyeballs spin! He put a proper Leupold Mk-4 on it and is happier then snot with how she runs!

I appreciate everyones input, and honesty so far.
Couple more notes:
I do not own/will not buy a glock. They aren't comfortable to shoot for me and I don't care for them.
I do not plan to buy an AR platform, just not my thing, I know how that can limit bug out options but its something I'm preparing to deal with.

The Sig is locked in. Its my current edc
The SP101 (or model 60) is a likely coming addition to my safe. Other options will be considered, but I want a .357 that's concealable.
Other hand guns are unlikely at this time.

I currently own the American, Rossi, and 10/22 and I am looking to add to those.

The Remington is something I am looking into but am not tied to.
The Sub 2k was just something I through out as a "should I consider it" option. Looks like thats a no.

I will likely soon be inheriting a Ruger single 6 so I'm not counting that in or out yet, but it would be an auto grab.

If you have a non AR platform rifle to suggest, please leave it.

I hadn't thought much about the suppressor world. Clearly I should more.

I don't care how good someone thinks they are with a bolt gun, they are leaving a LOT on the table, if they are not considering an AR type rifle (AR15 or AR10). JMHO...

Finally getting back to this. I had lots of replies to read as well as a full time + job (Yay being an adult).
Again, thank you everyone for your suggestions, I clearly have a lot to consider still. There are several things I would like to speak to and instead of going back through and quoting everything, I will try and cross the main talking points in a list like response. Do I know that there are flaws in absolutely each point? Yes, every argument has flaws. Do I care? Clearly some, I am asking for your guidance and suggestions.

Re why the guns I have:
First and foremost, personal preference.
Second, availability and affordability.
I like my firearms to be compact, yet large enough to get a full (or mostly full) grip.
-P229.I have carried full size (P220), Compact (CCP), as well as a PPQ, anda few others. I have found that I like the middle ground as far as size goes. I have found the P229 to be my favorite as its size conceals on me, it has a grip that fits me well, I shoot it well and other points as well.
-SP101 (Or model 60). I don't have one..yet, just waiting for the right one locally. But its concealable, but offers a nearly full grip with the right grips. Versatile round. Great sidearm for the woods, mountains, wherever. Ammo sharing is cool too.
-Ruger American Predator in .308 Topped with a Leupold VX3i. Again another middle ground in size, but closer to compact. It was also available at a great deal brand new. If I want to add a can to it (and that is something I was considering at time of purchase) it still makes the length (somewhat) comparable to a more standard length barrel. It was purchased primarily to be a hunting rifle, but also to be able to take to the range for (comparatively) less money.
Rossi .357 16"- I have always loved lever guns. And this one is compact (clearly a theme of mine). I knew when buying it that I would eventually get a revolver to match, and if I am going to buy a revolver, its going to be something carry friendly. I also wanted to not have to spend a lot of money to shoot it. So the .357 was my natural choice. As for Rossi vs other options, this was available, and in my price range. And it was nearly new. I also considered that it could be a hunting rifle (with some work, and for select game).
-10/22. Don't most of us have one? Need I say anything?
-Remington 870. Tried and true, home defense shotgun.
-Keltec sub2000, P226 configuration. Truth be told, I do not have one, I included it to see if maybe I should consider one, I have shot the Beretta and glock variety. If I got one,I would consider having the magwell shaped/sized/cut to take the P229 mags.

Re: Transportation.
Naturally I will drive to wherever I can to the best of my ability based on scenario. Other options I have
-Walk
-Bike, with or without trailer (less than 4 hours to BOL without the likely variables)
-Boat available on Puget Sound, within about 1.5 miles (and other cars/bikes available in Gig Harbor and Port Orchard, as well as more supplies).

Re: Why no AR
Most of it is, I don't care for them, I know many of the upsides of them, from popularity to capabilities, how modular they are, and more. To me it just disinterests me, I know what I am missing, and am prepared to deal with that loss.
I am not opposed to getting some kind of semi auto rifle with stopping power, and I am considering a mini 14. But an AR is not going to be a thing for me.

Re: Only able to take what you have
I know that unless it is a perfect storm SHTF situation, grabbing any of these will be limited to what I have on me now. I think most of us know this. I have a get home bag, just like many of you that I do not leave home without. That bag will last me about 3-4 days on food, some basic first aid, and water purification for a week or so. As well as shelter. and spare mags. That bag will get me from work to home, or one of the earlier mentioned Gig Harbor/ Port Orchard locations (most likely). There are enough supplies to last at my BOL for quite some time, as well as offerings of nature once I get there.

Why go vs stay:
Depending on the situation, staying is a real possibility and carries a lot of likelihood. I just know that longevity at my BOL may be easier to attaint

Vierings:
I applaud and agree with many of your choice, as they are very similar to my own.

The Sig 229-1 is a marvelous reliable accurate rugged device that is a delight in all aspects. I agree on being uninspired toward AR platform regardless of their advantages. We should know how to run them yet find something that serves well in its shadow.
And I've come to appreciate the 223/556 round. Not to generate more caliber wars, the 308 seems adequate for anything on my side of the mountain.

Everything has its pros and cons, there is no perfect set of firearms for any situation and everybody's situation is different. I don't have a BOB, I have GHB in my daily driver. I am out of shape, getting old and have various physical/health problems that make traveling on foot any real distance problematic, so I try to increase my chances of getting somewhere by having the lightest gear possible. That includes firearms and ammo.

I am out of shape, getting old and have various physical/health problems that make traveling on foot any real distance problematic,

Given the additional realities of necessary medications & various items, the constraints of BOB make such choices beyond the short term moot IMHO. Older family members who otherwise have such physical issues face additional complication for their O2 tanks.

Difficult to find a solution in such circumstance. BOB limits the fraction of potential survivors in any scenario.

With 20 years of combat experience and 17 full deployments over a 13 year period continuous, I got this down! I much prefer a standard "Enhansed" load out, a FN/FAL, a CAR 16-607 and a 1911 double stack 10mm auto. The AR has a .22 Conversion for utility, and uses the same can for both flavors. The ammo count for all this is fairly light considering. 13 mags of 5.56, 9 mags of .308 and 5 mags of 10mm and 1000 rounds mixed .22
Future plans are to supplement an M-4 Survival type take down in 5.56/300 B.O with the same can as the AR and ammo and mag merchantability with the target weight of about pounds! Total load out of weps and ammo is 34 pounds with the three weps! That leaves me 87 pounds of every thing else to keep me at my target weight for a rapid 20 miles in boots! Beyond that, something to add in here, both long guns can be broken down and hidden in my pack and still leaves me with a good powerful side arm with plenty of ammo!
For those who do not have a FAL, you really should have one, it makes the very best long range tool because of its abilities outside of any other .308 fighting rifle including bolt actions! Being able to break it down is a super handy ability, and while the ARs habe this option, few offer the same capabilities!

Did I read that right - you can carry a 121 pound pack for a rapid 20 miles?

Holy FRICK.

Geez man! You could chop up 120 pounds and drape it over my whole body and I'd still collapse like a total puss after 20 STEPS.

I'm 5'8 and 160... I like to say I'm not scrawny, just built for speed :D

Really not trying to derail the thread, question kinda relates, but care to share what kind of training one does to keep the fitness level high enough to accomplish a ruck like that with that much weight?

With 20 years of combat experience and 17 full deployments over a 13 year period continuous, I got this down! I much prefer a standard "Enhansed" load out, a FN/FAL, a CAR 16-607 and a 1911 double stack 10mm auto. The AR has a .22 Conversion for utility, and uses the same can for both flavors. The ammo count for all this is fairly light considering. 13 mags of 5.56, 9 mags of .308 and 5 mags of 10mm and 1000 rounds mixed .22
Future plans are to supplement an M-4 Survival type take down in 5.56/300 B.O with the same can as the AR and ammo and mag merchantability with the target weight of about pounds! Total load out of weps and ammo is 34 pounds with the three weps! That leaves me 87 pounds of every thing else to keep me at my target weight for a rapid 20 miles in boots! Beyond that, something to add in here, both long guns can be broken down and hidden in my pack and still leaves me with a good powerful side arm with plenty of ammo!
For those who do not have a FAL, you really should have one, it makes the very best long range tool because of its abilities outside of any other .308 fighting rifle including bolt actions! Being able to break it down is a super handy ability, and while the ARs habe this option, few offer the same capabilities!

HES A BEAST!!!!! Some call him samsquamch

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top