JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you had to bug out, what kind of vehicle do you use. Special vehicle or daily driver, emp resistant? Do you keep it fueled up, do you practice never letting the vehicle get less than half a tank, do you store extra fuel, parts, etc?

My rig, always a work in process when I have some time... Screenshot_20210406-171527_Gallery.jpg

Have the parts to convert to run WVO and about 400 gallons of WVO at home plus 2 centrifuges to process WVO. Pull out solar panels, 200w solar on the trailer, soldering work station, Satellite TV, both vehicle and trailer have independent diesel electric furnaces onboard for heat in colder temps.

Last Edited:
Honda Element AWD manual transmission (more capable on dirt than you might think) 2017 Tacoma off road with 6speed manual plus 6 jerry cans. Figure the Tacoma can drag the Element through tough stuff on the way to brother or nephew and enough fuel to get there and run the Honda generator for a while and fuel the stihl and the husky.

This is the stopgap until we move to our BOL in a few years.

Lol '21 Subaru outback, lifted with skid plates. Cargo rack on top with 2 2.5 gal jerry cans on top at all times. Multiple jerry cans with fuel back home. In the car are the bare neccesities to survive off grid at all times. ie pot and pan, fire starting gear, a pistol, hand tools to create shelter and some bedding. Recovery gear included in roof basket as well which is a shovel and traction boards.

It's not much but it's better then nothing. And it doesnt scream apocalpyse mobile either.

2021 Corolla Hybrid. 59MPG - 675++ mile range. So I can drive to the coast BOL and back 8 times and not have to tap into my stored backup fuel if the SHTF. My brother (of course) has a plug in and is claiming over 200 Mpg equivalent. Likely even cheaper than that as we put in a plug in connection so he can charge at our bug out location. Free...for him. His range could likely be unlimited if things aren't toast and we took out the boat battery, connected a charge converter to a solar panel.

I have 10 gallons of fuel in jerrycans at each location. So, if my tank is full (11.4 gallon tank) plus 20 gallon's = 31 gallons of petrol to gain an effective range of over 1850 miles. If the gas stations went kaput, I could come close to make it to LA and back from Portland without any gas stations being open.

If an EMP hit, we'd be walking to the BOL, I'm figuring 5 days taking it leisurely, realistically, with bikes and loaded the F way down, we're 3 days out although I'd be open to cacheing the crap we are dragging along -buried by the roadside wrapped in the blue tarp (come fish it out later) , and making a run for it. Younger me, 1 day easy. Now, with wife. 2-3 days with a lot of complaining:)

I'm sort of kidding as her genetics and family have solid steel running inside. My ancestors had it tough and hard (pioneer, civil war, WW1 WW2 stuff), but hers was much worse. They grit their teeth and get it done. Truthfully - it's likely her tiny hand would have a hold of me and she'd drag my tired beehind over the finish line if the cars were toast.

Should the EMP or CME hit, I've got a pack with water filter, great walking shoes etc etc to make it as far as I wanted to go (in both my 4 x 4 Truck which I'd leave behind due to inferior range) and the Corolla.

Last Edited:
I've wallowed thru a surprising number of such vehicles over the last 50 years, only to have them actually deteriorate in daily use faster than I could maintain them. This time my thesis is a late model compact 4x4 pickup capable of high mileage as well as back roads with a load. Suitable security yet it can all be undone by simple direct brute force in any case, whether EMP or clubs. At the least if I'm not at hand I know starting it will not be easy.

I've thought about this a few times as we are in earthquake risk area, and our infrastructure is crumbling on it's own, let alone what will happen after the "big one".

Between people being desperate and lawless, infrastructure being closed/damaged/destroyed, I settled on carbureted dual-sport motorcycles being ideal. My DRZ400 would be like a roach....tough to kill and can get way more places than a 4 wheeled vehicle. Also, certain models of the DRZ400 have a carb that is totally unaffected by most elevation changes, so you could get way out of town and it still performs as well as EFI.

Anyways, I don't think too much about "bugout" as we don't have anywhere to go (at this time, darn crazy real estate market!), and it is highly unlikely you could "bug out" without people trying to ruin your day.

You guys are very well prepared, I'm impressed. 2011 Toyota Tundra with some survival mods. I think I'd just better steal one of yours. I hope we never need these vehicles.

You guys are very well prepared, I'm impressed. 2011 Toyota Tundra with some survival mods. I think I'd just better steal one of yours. I hope we never need these vehicles.
Better to try and join with someone than attempt to steal...

For general health and safety reasons alone.

I've thought about this a few times as we are in earthquake risk area, and our infrastructure is crumbling on it's own, let alone what will happen after the "big one".

Between people being desperate and lawless, infrastructure being closed/damaged/destroyed, I settled on carbureted dual-sport motorcycles being ideal. My DRZ400 would be like a roach....tough to kill and can get way more places than a 4 wheeled vehicle. Also, certain models of the DRZ400 have a carb that is totally unaffected by most elevation changes, so you could get way out of town and it still performs as well as EFI.

Anyways, I don't think too much about "bugout" as we don't have anywhere to go (at this time, darn crazy real estate market!), and it is highly unlikely you could "bug out" without people trying to ruin your day.
Good points. Bug-in would be the most likely scenario if we get a big shaker. There are hundreds upon hundreds of small bridges and overpasses that will be affected by the big one, not just the big famous bridges. You might get half way to your BOL just to be stopped by a sinkhole, collapsed overpass or general chaos. Also to your point, where the heck will the population of the metro areas all be going to, at the same time? It will be chaotic. Even if you have a second property somewhere, who will be there when you get there?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top