JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Situation:
-You have enough time to grab 2 of the following long arms on your way to bug out.
-You have sufficient ammo ready to go for whatever you pick.
-You have a p229 in 9mm on your person
-You have an sp101 in .357 on you.
-Bug out location is the Olympic Peninsula

Long arm options
-Ruger American Predator .308
-Rossi lever 16" in .357
-Remington 870 Express with 18.5" barrel
-Ruger 10/22
-Keltec sub2000 p226 mag version (9mm)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be more specific....

I wouldn't have a Sig or the SP101 (although a nice wheel gun, 5 shots for bug out?)

I would have a Glock 17 and a 20 on me.

For the long guns, I would have an AR-15 and an AR-10. Pretty much covers anything on 2 or 4 legs. Double taps notwithstanding.

I live on the Olympic Peninsula, I've got my stash for virtually any situation within reasonable thinking.

No offense to Glock, but I prefer the Springfield XD's anywhere from 3.3" to 6" service and long guns to be basically a 300 AAC BO, and AR10 version... Did I mention I live about 2 miles from the National Park, have a couple of horses and such...

21 years as a Marine Grunt in various fields, 7 yrs as Chief Instructor @ Mountain Warfare Center, 4 yrs as Chief Instructor Raid Branch, Coronado, 1 year NCOIC SOTG (Special Operations Training Group). 20 months RVN, India/Pakistan War, El Salvador, Desert Storm...

4 yrs with SOF...

Just saying...

Providing I had to pack it on my back
I would take the sig pistol the 308 rifle and a 22 pistol for game which you did not list

My choices would be different
A fn fal a 40pistol and a 22 pistol or break down 22 rifle for game

Either way your primary mode would be to evade and reduce contact with others
Your odds without support would be slim.

Unless you plan to hunt and defend suppressed you can kiss your ability to evade attention goodbye. Keep that in mind.

One hybrid suppressor (i.e. Cosmic/Mystic) should be included, with mounts to attach to the 147gr stoked P229, the 10/22 with standard velocity ammo, and the 308 with both subs or supers depending on the situation.

I appreciate everyones input, and honesty so far.
Couple more notes:
I do not own/will not buy a glock. They aren't comfortable to shoot for me and I don't care for them.
I do not plan to buy an AR platform, just not my thing, I know how that can limit bug out options but its something I'm preparing to deal with.

The Sig is locked in. Its my current edc
The SP101 (or model 60) is a likely coming addition to my safe. Other options will be considered, but I want a .357 that's concealable.
Other hand guns are unlikely at this time.

I currently own the American, Rossi, and 10/22 and I am looking to add to those.

The Remington is something I am looking into but am not tied to.
The Sub 2k was just something I through out as a "should I consider it" option. Looks like thats a no.

I will likely soon be inheriting a Ruger single 6 so I'm not counting that in or out yet, but it would be an auto grab.

If you have a non AR platform rifle to suggest, please leave it.

I hadn't thought much about the suppressor world. Clearly I should more.

If no time then nothing not already inside the bug out bag. You will have no time especially with very fast moving wildfires. If you have the time, more water food and weather proofing. If even still more time PERHAPS one, (1) light rifle per responsible PERSON with a small load out of ammo.

The water you will drink. The food you may eat. The weather proofing, (rain, snow) you might use. The weapons you will probably never ever need. However, that does not preclude the remote possibility that you might need firearms. Easy to be thirsty. Somewhat easy to be hungry.

Not easy to be dead. The human condition. This is our reality in the Illinois Valley, SW OR USA. Zero effective law enforcement. Too many idiot tweekers with guns. Yikes! However please understand our reality is not the normal reality. No PD. Little SO. Little SP. We are definitely on our own.

We chose and use the USGI M1 Carbine with up to about 5 mags. About 12.5 pounds average.

Last Edited:
I already live at my BOL so if I am home then I have already 'bugged out'. If I am not home, then whatever I have with me is what I will be using to get home.

If for some reason I need to leave my home and bug out on foot with whatever I can carry, then I am going for something as light as I can because I am not in shape and I won't make it far anyway. So, it would be:

PS90 and Five Seven
Pack Rifle (a single shot .22 LR rifle that weighs one pound and takes down to 16")
S&W Model 43 Airweight in .22 LR

The PS90 and Five Seven have enough range (~200 yards) to defend myself, albeit marginal power), but I can carry plenty of ammo for them. They are one of the few pistol/rifle combos I would want - otherwise I wouldn't care about common ammo. A pistol is mostly for those times when you need to fight to get to your rifle and/or you have your hands full with something else.

The rationale for what to grab would vary, depending on the SHTF scenario. Cascadia event? Huge wildfire? Economic collapse and a mob approaching your house? Government hunting you down? Most scenarios that I envision would have me carrying little armament but giving emphasis to water treatment, food, fire, shelter, medicals, communications, etc. But then, at my age, I'm thinking better off evasion and avoiding injury than fighting zombies.

rationale for what to grab would vary, depending on the SHTF scenario.

the immense variables and the notion somehow being able to make the Ultimate Best BUG choice at any particular moment suggests a lotta bags with a lotta different stuff 'depending'.....

I don't know I could keep them straight long enough to choose 'best one'...

Out of your existing stock.

The 308 and the 12 gauge.

You would want something to get out a bit further. Frankly I think that's why everyone is saying get an AR15. Really you just need a good semi auto in an intermediate cartridge that you can send a good amount of rounds up to 200 yards in a hurry. AKA volley fire. Or cover fire. The 308 will sort of do this. Maybe. But spray and pray works better with something that can spray.

The 12g is a good grab for close range stuff. It beats a pistol any day. Even if it's a pump. If I had to choose going up against a pistol or a shotgun, I'd choose the pistol and pray your a horrible shot.

The 12g is a good grab for close range stuff. It beats a pistol any day. Even if it's a pump. If I had to choose going up against a pistol or a shotgun, I'd choose the pistol and pray your a horrible shot.

The problem with a 12 ga over a pistol is the weight. Even with a Shockwave/Tac-14, you are talking 5+ pounds for the shotgun and even more for the ammo. And a pistol can have more range than a shotgun too - with careful aim.

I live on the Olympic Peninsula, I've got my stash for virtually any situation within reasonable thinking.

No offense to Glock, but I prefer the Springfield XD's anywhere from 3.3" to 6" service and long guns to be basically a 300 AAC BO, and AR10 version... Did I mention I live about 2 miles from the National Park, have a couple of horses and such...

21 years as a Marine Grunt in various fields, 7 yrs as Chief Instructor @ Mountain Warfare Center, 4 yrs as Chief Instructor Raid Branch, Coronado, 1 year NCOIC SOTG (Special Operations Training Group). 20 months RVN, India/Pakistan War, El Salvador, Desert Storm...

4 yrs with SOF...

Just saying...

Springfield is the upper end "Taurus" of the industry. What's the last gun they actually invented?

HS2000 - Wikipedia

Easy to copy another companies design......

The Saint? :p

I appreciate everyones input, and honesty so far.
Couple more notes:
I do not own/will not buy a glock. They aren't comfortable to shoot for me and I don't care for them.
I do not plan to buy an AR platform, just not my thing, I know how that can limit bug out options but its something I'm preparing to deal with.

The Sig is locked in. Its my current edc
The SP101 (or model 60) is a likely coming addition to my safe. Other options will be considered, but I want a .357 that's concealable.
Other hand guns are unlikely at this time.

I currently own the American, Rossi, and 10/22 and I am looking to add to those.

The Remington is something I am looking into but am not tied to.
The Sub 2k was just something I through out as a "should I consider it" option. Looks like thats a no.

I will likely soon be inheriting a Ruger single 6 so I'm not counting that in or out yet, but it would be an auto grab.

If you have a non AR platform rifle to suggest, please leave it.

I hadn't thought much about the suppressor world. Clearly I should more.

Anyone who isn't considering a 10/22 in their long term plans has a flawed plan in my opinion.

It is the singly best semi .22 there is and you can buy a wheelbarrow of ammo for a few hundred.

If you're in Tacoma and ONP is your BOL, you better have plans B through H to boot. Bridges, traffic, more traffic, still more traffic, snowflakes and hipsters. You're going to need a Technical just to get across the bridges, if they're still standing.
My only Sig sucks, and consequently I think your choices suck. You don't have a shotgun, so why offer that as a choice? No .357? WTF? Be real, the SHTF is tomorrow, and what are you going to do? You have your 229, your 10/22, and do you have a 308 ?
About a year ago I posted a thread on the importance of prep. My objective was to be ready to BO in 10 minutes. I have been testing and rearranging all year, and the best I have thus far is 20 minutes. I have changed BO vehicles 2x since writing that, and each time that modifies preparations due to the geometry of the vehicle. My latest BOV is much larger, with greater versatility, and my loadout is bigger. On a humorous note, I cleaned my garage and relocated all my BO tubs. Consequently, when I went to go camping during Memorial day weekend, I couldn't find a friggin' thing.
I will also note, being able to bug out quickly is entirely dependent on organization and prep. To be able to load out in 20 minutes, there's about 4 hours of prep, packing and organization that goes into the tubs.
For armaments, I feel pretty ready. My safe is stacked for the following access priority:
AR15 x 2. AR10. DMR. 2x45ACP, 1x40S&W. Perhaps excessive, but that's what I would load.
For Ammo, 250 rds 7mm, 800 rds 223, 500 rounds 45acp, 500 rds 40.
All ammo is loaded in mags and ammo carriers, plus binocs and range finder, in a tub, ready to go. Approx loadout of all that, 10 min.
Fuel, lamps, stoves, rope, first aid, and all other survival gear is pre-packed in tubs, 10 min.
Sleeping bags I have hanging. 10 minutes.
Food has been my zone of least preparedness, where I have been cycling through my cans, etc. I just burned through the remainder in the last two weeks. I have not re-stocked those tubs yet.
I think I'm OK as far as weapons, camp gear preparedness and tools.
Where I'm weak is Water, Food & Clothing prep. I have no armor and based on other posts, noted I need some. Other thing I should have ready: big bolt cutters and fly gear for fishing. Watching the water every morning, I'm pretty sure I'll have better results fishing for food than hunting.

I do not expect people to be kind or orderly, nor do I expect the roads to be clear or passable. I'm not bringing arms for game, I'm bringing it for anti-personnel.
Last week, I'm in the Siuslaw and some ranch hand blocks me in, deliberately. That is a threatening move, so I tell my son, grab the AR, get behind the berm and load a mag. I unsnap with my left at the ready, a garbage bag in my right and walk toward him talking loudly, asking if everything is OK. Thinking I was someone else, he had come, ready to deliver a beat-down. He tells me some man is coming, as if I should know and fear him. I smile and say, let him come.
I was there picking up garbage left by the person he thought I was, enough to fill two bags of trash. It deescalated quickly. The other fella never showed.

Revolver .357
AR-15
Thats all one needs .

I would say the SKS, but the 7.62x39 round is not as popular and .223 grows on trees.
The reason I even mention a SKS is sure power, indestructible nature of them as well as simplicity, so if one didnt have and
AR I would choose a SKS over a AK-47 or anything else.

BTW, research is showing the 22LR is not a desired BO rifle the 22lr is very unreliable when compared to near any other center fire option. I used to be and of the idea not any more., if a meal, or my life was on the line... well I wouldn't want a rim fire option .

Revolver .357
AR-15
Thats all one needs .

I would say the SKS, but the 7.62x39 round is not as popular and .223 grows on trees.
The reason I even mention a SKS is sure power, indestructible nature of them as well as simplicity, so if one didnt have and
AR I would choose a SKS over a AK-47 or anything else.

BTW, research is showing the 22LR is not a desired BO rifle the 22lr is very unreliable when compared to near any other center fire option. I used to be and of the idea not any more., if a meal, or my life was on the line... well I wouldn't want a rim fire option .

Some .22 is definitely better than others in terms of reliability, but if we are entering the 'what if' land of conversation. Adding a 10/22 and a barrel of ammo to the mix adds a significant amount of options more than simply an AR and some .223

Even if you are dead set against the 10/22 for whatever reason, a .22 BCG and a few mags multiplies your .223 chambered AR's longevity because those brick(s) of .22 will be around a lot longer than whatever amount of mags of .223 is brought.

If it's car transported, 5000 of .22 rounds can easily be transported in a shoebox sized container. That volume simply cannot be ignored.

If it's man transported than we enter an entirely different 'what if' scenario.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top