JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What you need is a complete lack of conscience to kill for fun. Start there and you won't care what caliber or rifle, as it's all about just dropping an animal for entertainment. Do you think an elk prefers to be shot by a 308 vs a 270?

What you need is a complete lack of conscience to kill for fun. Start there and you won't care what caliber or rifle, as it's all about just dropping an animal for entertainment. Do you think an elk prefers to be shot by a 308 vs a 270?

What a line of BS! You obviously have never ate anything feistier than a quarter pounder, let alone harvested an animal on your own. If your not a troll and just someone who simply doesn't know any better and talking out of ignorance, I'll apologize now, if not hit the road and take your BS elsewhere:nuts:

I've never met a hunter that did not feel at least a little sadness upon killing an animal. To feel nothing or to " get off " over nothing more than the killing would be at least a little sociopathic. Hunting one's own food is.....in our genes for one thing and a hard thing to explain to the antihunting crowd. I personally feel very attached to nature and life when I hunt. It is a deeply satisfying thing to spend a lifetime developing the skills to feed myself. Sure, I could go to Winco, in fact I often do but there is magic in taking a deer/elk/duck, cleaning/skinning/butchering/preserving it, then serving it up as a meal. It's especially satisfying when I can share it with others.

However, I wouldn't expect a troll to understand any of this, assuming he even reads any of this. Frankly, someone who enjoys causing trouble for the sake of causing trouble suggests psychological issues which trouble me far more than a natural act like feeding one's self.

You see I don't get this self denial you guys are in. We are 100 years or so removed from needing to hunt for food. There is no argument that a non inspected, possibly viral beast is more healthy to eat, and the cost of driving to the sticks to bag a deer or elk renders the 'need to feed the family' argument moot.

One hunts for fun these days, it's better then shooting paper and cans. How can I feel sorry for taking a life that I choose to take, again for entertainment, that is perfectly legal, society allows it, taxes and regulates it. If Animals were smarter they would probably be doing it to us. The same argument applies to being in the military..if they want me to blow up an elementary school, I have license, by this government to do so..it's silly to get PTSD over it.

The only psyche problems here are guys stating they 'need' to hunt, which is a lie, a conflict, making excuses...so embrace it. You are allowed to hunt, society gives you the green light, so why wring your hands over it?

You see I don't get this self denial you guys are in. We are 100 years or so removed from needing to hunt for food. There is no argument that a non inspected, possibly viral beast is more healthy to eat, and the cost of driving to the sticks to bag a deer or elk renders the 'need to feed the family' argument moot.

One hunts for fun these days, it's better then shooting paper and cans. How can I feel sorry for taking a life that I choose to take, again for entertainment, that is perfectly legal, society allows it, taxes and regulates it. If Animals were smarter they would probably be doing it to us. The same argument applies to being in the military..if they want me to blow up an elementary school, I have license, by this government to do so..it's silly to get PTSD over it.

The only psyche problems here are guys stating they 'need' to hunt, which is a lie, a conflict, making excuses...so embrace it. You are allowed to hunt, society gives you the green light, so why wring your hands over it?

You claim we are 100 years or so removed from needing to hunt for food. Ok, I'll play. Maybe so. However, we are not even 100 minutes removed from the need to kill animals for food. You just prefer to pay others to do the killing and other work for you. How does that make you superior ? Next you refer to my choice of animal as a " non inspected, possibly viral beast ". Again I will bite, pardon the pun. I'll take my chances with non inspection and imaginary virus over steroids, altered genetics, and mad cow disease.

Wait....I was going to fully retort all your arguments but upon rereading it is clear you are a troll. Clearly your true goal here is to piss people off. I wish I could tell you I was an emotional uberman such as yourself and that your feeble attempt to create discord did not work. But I am not and it did, so go bubblegum yourself troll.

Ok going to copy paste out of the book of ODFW hunting regs :
Centerfire Firearm

Fully automatic firearms prohibited.

Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel).

Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.

My question is magazine size allowed for HANDGUNS, i see rifles but nothing about handguns, if you know please tell me what page on your (oregon hunting ODFW book), I mean, can i carry a 15 round 9mm? Or a 7 round mag of .45? a WHEEL GUN, A jUDGE lol? OR ALL OF THE ABOVE . Thnaks much:)

The magazine limit is for semi-auto rifles only. Bolt action, levers and pistols are not subject to the same rule. As far as pistols go, as a non primary you can carry whatever you want. As a primary the caliber would have to follow the caliber restrictions for whatever you were hunting.

You claim we are 100 years or so removed from needing to hunt for food. Ok, I'll play. Maybe so. However, we are not even 100 minutes removed from the need to kill animals for food. You just prefer to pay others to do the killing and other work for you. How does that make you superior ? Next you refer to my choice of animal as a " non inspected, possibly viral beast ". Again I will bite, pardon the pun. I'll take my chances with non inspection and imaginary virus over steroids, altered genetics, and mad cow disease.

Wait....I was going to fully retort all your arguments but upon rereading it is clear you are a troll. Clearly your true goal here is to piss people off. I wish I could tell you I was an emotional uberman such as yourself and that your feeble attempt to create discord did not work. But I am not and it did, so go bubblegum yourself troll.

What he said.^

Trip trap, trip trap. That ladies and gents is a troll, don't feed the troll. It will go away as soon as you stop throwing it scraps. It does not understand logic, so it's useless. It can't seem to read with it's predatory eyes that face forward and are designed for pursuit. It doesn't hear, even though it's ears face forward unlike a prey animals which swivel side to side in detection of pursuit. Although it tongues it teeth in anticipation of its next meal, it fails to notice the eye teeth that are designed to eat meat, yes those are rip and tear teeth folks. It doesn't understand that it is very close in digestive processes that are very much like another omnivore called the Bear. If it were not for tofu, Mcdonald's, perhaps a few MRE'S and a few other feeding sanctuaries the troll would starve rather quickly, as it has never learned to be self sufficient, nor self reliant.
It still has yet to understand that not all meals come from Safeways in a thin skin and ready to eat. It truly is ignorant to the use of even it's own written language, or it would understand the threat it just posted ,,, Quote >>>>>>"The same argument applies to being in the military..if they want me to blow up an elementary school, I have license, by this government to do so..it's silly to get PTSD over it." <<<<<<End quote. that so called threat could be, and possibly should be reported, you know the old saying,,, if you see it say it. Not that I would ever do such a thing, I don't believe in trolls you see, and as stated earlier, if you don't feed them they usually go away. If not, well? Soooo, Bye bye troll, go pick your brawl on another forum, or at least justify your invasive intrusion into this one please.

Salmon - You could try to make a case, a defensible argument, rather then just call names, but if that's your intelligence level, ok...you too are a poo poo head as well. So there.

I like being a poo poo head joseph. I lived for quite awhile on subsistence hunting to feed the family in AK. I live now where we literally walk out the back door to harvest our bear, deer and elk, the only cost is our time and ammunition.

On your point about wild game being less healthy for you, Quote>There is no argument that a non inspected, possibly viral beast is more healthy to eat, and the cost of driving to the sticks to bag a deer or elk renders the 'need to feed the family' argument moot.< end quote, is invalid period. Would you submit that meat that has been pen, cage, stock yard raised and given every type of antibiotic legally available and fed lord knows what a better healthier choice?
I've seen far to many folks come on this site to attempt in a not so veiled way, in subterfuge to point out that hunting is wrong, or the taking of a life to sustain another is in some way inherently evil to not challenge you in your point.
If this is indeed indicative of your intent, then you are as described previously, a troll. If not then your point is also invalid.

Yes I would agree that many, (far to many in my opinion) are only hunting for the trophy and or experience of taking an animal. I can attest to taking pictures of many huge bull elk that I enjoyed seeing while hunting yet let pass by in preference to harvesting something far more palatable.
Does the rancher kill his prime breed bulls? Those large bulls are the genetic breed stock that keeps my, yes my herd healthy.

Do I necessarily need to have the meat to survive? In a word no, but the God given right to harvest my own meat instead of being dependant upon others to do it for me is a burden that I would rather personally take on.
The animals that I, my wife and children have taken through the years have all been fully utilized, none wasted and all in great reverence and respect for the animal, its fortunately the way I was raised.

Now I have a question for you Joseph, what gives you the right to say or insinuate that my choice is in any way inferior or less valid then the choices you make?
You deem it your responsibility to challenge myself and others for taking the life of an animal for consumption and state that I, we, wring our hands.
You also state "the only psyche problems are the guys who state they need to hunt" yet previously in the post you bring up blowing up an elementary school? Thats sure highly evolved thinking Joe, highly evolved. Does 3E851 ring a bell Joe? I'm just curious.

If, and I do mean if, your not merely someone posing here as one who really doesn't understand what it means to take a life that you truly respect and are asking why with attempt at understanding, I would apologize. If not Joseph, I stand my ground unchallenged by a self indulgent person that will never understand anyway. Good day.

So one person mentioned it, but no one has even talked about it. I am also curious, I have only hunted in the midwest... new to hunting in the PNW. The equipment and rifles have been talked about a lot. What about the field dressing and packing it out? I know about hunting, but have never hunted big game like bear or elk. What happens after i kill it? If an elk is that big how do i field dress it and pack it out? Multiple trips? Do I need to have and extra big pack with extra space for it all? I've only ever bagged white tail on a family farm where we just drive the truck down, load it up and use a winch to hoist it up and gut it. Something tells me i won't be able to do this in the woods with a BIG animal. Thanks for the help and advise.

well there is a lot of different things that go into a hunt as far as were you live you need to check with your game department about hunter Ed.
In Wa. if you were born after 1 Jan 1972 you need hunter Ed. to get your license. I agree the .30-06 is a good round for any of the game you will likely hunt in the lower 48 sates. As for BOOTS the hunt will depend on your feet, so spend what you need to to get good boots and break in your boots. I agree with the others don't for get a sharp knife and a small bone saw and a good survival kit. Good luck

So one person mentioned it, but no one has even talked about it. I am also curious, I have only hunted in the midwest... new to hunting in the PNW. The equipment and rifles have been talked about a lot. What about the field dressing and packing it out? I know about hunting, but have never hunted big game like bear or elk. What happens after i kill it? If an elk is that big how do i field dress it and pack it out? Multiple trips? Do I need to have and extra big pack with extra space for it all? I've only ever bagged white tail on a family farm where we just drive the truck down, load it up and use a winch to hoist it up and gut it. Something tells me i won't be able to do this in the woods with a BIG animal. Thanks for the help and advise.

What happens after i kill it?

Calm down and take a picture :D

If an elk is that big how do i field dress it and pack it out? Multiple trips?

The simple answer is yes. The animal is field dressed. Then depending on who you've got with your, or if your solo it's taken out. The animal can be quartered and taken in multiple trips, or some use a game cart and take it out by that method. I think the most common solution is a pack board that you can just lash the quarters too and haul them out on foot. A good size elk can take hours to process and get back to camp. What you choose to do is going to vary with the terrain you're hunting. Using a game cart may not be an option or the animal maybe on flat enough ground it can be dragged or winched to the road side before dressing. With my luck the animal ends up at the bottom of the steepest hill in Oregon with no road around for miles except the one at the top :D.

With my luck the animal ends up at the bottom of the steepest hill in Oregon with no road around for miles except the one at the top :D.

A couple years ago I shot a 200# mule deer that stumbled into this canyon:
WapinitaCanyon-edgesouthwest.jpg

I climbed down and field dressed and quartered him. I still couldn't get back up the almost vertical 50 feet of canyon wall with any part of him on my back. I finally climbed back out and went to find 200' of rope and a truck. I shot him at about 8 am and finally got him out of there at 5 pm. With help I was able to tie a rope to the pieces and drag them up the canyon wall with the truck. Even with all that abuse the meat was still very good.

DEERclosesm.jpg

My apologies to Joseph, as this picture no doubt offends his sensibilities.

Thats a very fine buck Zigzag, thanks for shareing. They sure are where you find them arnt they!

Most people wouldn't believe there's a deer within a mile of that spot. Those table tops are all wheat fields and as flat as a billiard table. You can't see that canyon until you're within a few yards of it. But I've shot a nice buck there every year now for 3 years running. Here's last year's deer:

deer2012-1.jpg

Notice that the rifle seems a little small? Though he's only a forkie, he was 135 hanging weight at the butcher shop.

Zig - No offence taken. You have proven to be able to shoot a deer from the side of the road, where our ancestors of 20,000 years ago could do it with guile and a spear. Carry on.

Zig - No offence taken. You have proven to be able to shoot a deer from the side of the road, where our ancestors of 20,000 years ago could do it with guile and a spear. Carry on.

Well, I take offense at your intended insult, your dishonesty, and your motives. You fabricate an image that ridicules me and every other hunter. You don't know where the nearest road is. You don't know how much ground was covered in order to find this deer. You have no idea what hunting is about. I could explain it to you. I'm a pretty good writer. But you wouldn't listen, and you wouldn't understand. You have your animal rights agenda, and you'll invent, lie, and distort in order to support your fantasies, and to attack those who you fear. Yes, you fear me. You fear all men who are capable, confident, and willing to do what needs to be done. You'd prefer that we all depended upon an anonymous assassin and butcher to supply us our meat in plastic packages. You don't want any reminders that this was once a majestic animal, or the possibility that you might be required to kill your own food. So you attack and try to neutralize the threat to your own ego. You ridicule and distort in order to try to tear down people more capable and experienced than you are. You sit in the shadows and snipe at those who walk in the sunshine and take care of themselves. You'd prefer being taken care of, being comfortable, being secure in your social milieu, and your political affiliations. I have no illusions that your mind can be changed. Your position is a defense mechanism for the inadequacy you feel. Your fear prevents you from using logic and reason. I feel sorry for you.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews