JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh, one more thing about the scope (I already stated my preference for all things Leupold). The only reason most of us wind up with variable power scopes is they have become so popular that the manufacturers make a lot of them, so they sell them cheaply (cheap being a relative term...). A fixed 4x or 6x scope will do you a fine job on that .270 Win rifle (nice rifle, by the way). You can find a used Leupold fixed power scope at a gun show or maybe even Craig's List or a newspaper ad for anywhere between $100 and $200, and you won't regret it. I just paid $200 for a 6x that looks absolutely new, and that included shipping from out of state. And as I mentioned before, if you happen to buy one that needs repair, Leupold is in Beaverton and they will take care of you. Nice folks. OK, enough from me, somebody else can have a turn.

hahahahaha!
I needed a good laugh! Thanks!

This is my list so far.... I have some of the things, but want a complete list. is anything missing or just not needed?

Rifle – Weatherby Vanguard .270 Win
Scope – 3-9x40
Scope rings
Ammo
Knife
Whistle
Compass
Waterproof matches
Tinder
Waterproof box
First aid kit
Tent - light & small
Canvas tarp
Boots
Binoculars
Safety class
Orange camo vest
Orange camo pants
Wool socks
Camera
Backpack
Small bag
Backpack saw
Watch
Gut hook
Flashlight
Batteries
Extra flashlight
Nitrile gloves
Rope
Light rope
Water
Knife sharpener
Pepper spray

don't forget the pack mule :s0112:

Also I have OCD, so I obsess about everything......:(

Then you'll have to suppress your OCD when you're out in the woods. You won't be able to sit at location A at time B, align rifle C with D Scope, and E boots, and see deer. There's no formula for hunting, you can obsess over the details, but you'll blow by the basics.
Don't ask me how I know...

How do I choose scope rings? all I know is that my rifle has a Leupold base.... take it from here please.

I guess it says dovetail front / windage rear.... The rings I see are dual dovetail....????? do I have a crappy base?

Leupold bases are great. If it's a one piece it's super solid and you just take the rifle into a shop like BiMart or Fishermans with your scope and they'll find the rings that fit and mount your scope and boresight your rifle. Pretty decent for $30 rings. :)
The nice thing is that you don't have to over think it.

the scope we've agreed on is a Simmons Master series #512101..... about as basic as it gets for now.... Maybe it will haunt us in the future, but my hands are tied. This is an ebay special with no sunshade for $80 shipped.

If this is totally crap let me know, maybe she will value someone else's opinion more than mine. Or suggest a scope in the $100 price range.

She is the breadwinner, and no matter what I say I can't explain the need for a $200 scope. I am not able to work, I'm a stay at home dad.

You don't need a sunshade for deer, maybe for varmints. For the price range you're talking about, what you're getting is probably fine...just remind your wife that you'll be spending $80 on a scope you're going to upgrade with one that costs $200 later, so the actual price for replacement is now over $280....it didn't work for my wife either, but it's worth a shot.

My arguement is that "in the field" I NEED a decent scope.... she just saw a scope at Bi-mart with rings for $65 and thinks anything will do.

I am sensing a loss of support from her, I explained that it was expensive, but I think she had the idea that I could get everything I need for $500 or less..... it's all about the $$ with her.

yeah, she's a Bi**h.... and wishy washy
Remember that all these threads are easily found in Google, so she probably won't appreciate being the "itch" on the gun forum....

That being said....I fully appreciate my scope, so my hunting guns have Leupold and Burris scopes on them. But I like good glass to look through and I can't find fault with a great company with a lifetime warranty and made in Oregon. But I'd rather have a less expensive rifle and a nicer scope.

The Bushnell Trophy, Legend, Elite series I feel are nice. Mueller Optics is a good value, Nikon, Swift, Pentax, etc.

Opticsplanet.com is your friend. :)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a decent range finder. Granted it's not a "necessity", the fact that you are just starting out would argue for having one to help you learn to estimate ranges while still insuring that when you do take a shot you will have confidence that you know the target's range for proper bullet placement. AND you could use it as your "spotting scope" rather than binocs.

I used cheap Bushnell for 10 years before I could afford better. Took several deer, and a couple of elk with it. Sure get what you can afford, just remember the cheap scopes of today are much better than the best were 40 years ago, so no real worries. Get the best gear you can when you can and up grade later. Comfort in the field is important for your overall endurance and enjoyment of the hunt....just depends on what you are out there for.

Zero ring said... "One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a decent range finder. Granted it's not a "necessity", the fact that you are just starting out would argue for having one to help you learn to estimate ranges while still insuring that when you do take a shot you will have confidence that you know the target's range and proper bullet placement. AND you could use it as your "spotting scope" rather than binoc"

I think suggesting a range finder to someone who is going to buy a Simmons scope because of their lack of money is nut's. Also an earlier thread said"a compass is great but you should get a GPS. Again, if I can't afford a scope that isn't a POS, then these other accessories are out.One more thing about GPS's. Their nice to have but pale in comparison to a compass for importance of gear.They don't work well in the timber and they fail because of batteries or other reason's.

I think people that depend on cell phone's and GPS's as safety devices are fool's. Ya that's right.You know who you are.

Old school is a compass,flashlight and map. Three shots for distress.
Do people even know that three shot's fired in a row is a distress signal any more? I suppose if they heard it at night they might take notice.

I'm sorry but this is a brand new hunter on a tight budget. He's not one of us more seasoned hunter's and he doesn't have a $2000 dollar gift certificate to Cabela's.

Have a garage sell or take that old saxophone to the pawn shop and buy a decent scope!

R finders have their place out past 200 yds for most modern rifles (OK, maybe 30.30,,45.70 etc will be 150 max) The new ones with their true angle/distance measurements are a help in steep long range country. But, I have done fine for many years without one.....just another new piece of equipment to consider adding to your list. They do have their place.....

Reading that list made me want to go through my pack and toss usless stuff out again! LOL
One of these days I might get it narrowed down to 10 essential items...:s0155:

here is what happens when you have all that stuff

your looking at your Gps as you walk past the deer

when you do see a deer rather than aiming your gun at it you range find it then reach for your gun as it takes off

you got so much on you that its getting snagged on branches making tons of noise so you wont see anything any way

the stuff weighs you down so you get tired and just want to sleep the rest of the day

you got so much to inventory before going in that you forget what important like rifle clip

as your drawing down on a deer you hear you buddys voice over you FRS radio saying dude see anything causing the deer to bolt

Its a great list just pokin fun at it

here is what happens when you have all that stuff

your looking at your Gps as you walk past the deer

when you do see a deer rather than aiming your gun at it you range find it then reach for your gun as it takes off

you got so much on you that its getting snagged on branches making tons of noise so you wont see anything any way

the stuff weighs you down so you get tired and just want to sleep the rest of the day

you got so much to inventory before going in that you forget what important like rifle clip

as your drawing down on a deer you hear you buddys voice over you FRS radio saying dude see anything causing the deer to bolt

Its a great list just pokin fun at it

Have you been out in the woods near me? How'd you know exactly what happened to me several years ago...

Old school is a compass,flashlight and map. Three shots for distress.
Do people even know that three shot's fired in a row is a distress signal any more? I suppose if they heard it at night they might take notice.

I'm sorry but this is a brand new hunter on a tight budget. He's not one of us more seasoned hunter's and he doesn't have a $2000 dollar gift certificate to Cabela's.

:s0155: I'm with ya, I still listen for shots in the woods. But with more guys with semis out in the woods, the other two could be follow-up shots. :)

yeah, I admit it's alot.... Most of it will stay in the truck or at the site.... I won't be using GPS or a range finder..... Not for financial reasons.... I just don't think it's necessary at this point.
One more Question.....;)

Is it bad to bring my dog? she's not gun shy (no she's not deaf).... and listens well so far, she's 6 months old now.... I think after a year and a half more work with her she will listen great, BUT..... is it reccomended to have a dog with you? I'm thinking it could be alot of problems...
She could carry a light load....lol

Rumor mill comment here. I have been told hunting with a dog tagging along is illegal. Not to mention the safety of your dog while running around in the brush with trigger happy hunters. Legal or not, no something I would recommend.

Couple of items that I didn't see on your list:

TP - place the roll in a ziplock back then pull the core out. It will feed from the center out.
Baby wipes - you can use less TP and remove any face camo.
Moleskin - great to put over popped blisters in the field so you're not side lined with bleeding feet.

Since I am looking at trying my hand on deer hunting this thread has been helpful. I had a couple of questions to, sorry if its a thread jack.

For the orange blaze camo would a top work? I was told my cartharts double knees would be fine for bottoms and either a camo top with a high vis vest or hat would be fine? Is there any opinions on whats a better setup?

Another thing is for the scouting part is there somewhere to find out where would be good to look? I live in Corvallis and I saw in another thread Alsea isnt to bad, didnt know if there were certain areas that are ok to hunt in or what the deal is.

Theres about 4 or 5 us that want to try our luck this year and all of of are new. Though the wife and I might just go with family that are experienced and have been doing it for years. Just wanted to know in case we decided to stay more local to us.

Since I am looking at trying my hand on deer hunting this thread has been helpful. I had a couple of questions to, sorry if its a thread jack.

For the orange blaze camo would a top work? I was told my cartharts double knees would be fine for bottoms and either a camo top with a high vis vest or hat would be fine? Is there any opinions on whats a better setup?

Another thing is for the scouting part is there somewhere to find out where would be good to look? I live in Corvallis and I saw in another thread Alsea isnt to bad, didnt know if there were certain areas that are ok to hunt in or what the deal is.

Theres about 4 or 5 us that want to try our luck this year and all of of are new. Though the wife and I might just go with family that are experienced and have been doing it for years. Just wanted to know in case we decided to stay more local to us.

your in a good area the further away from the big cites like portland where the weekend warriers hunt the better if you read the other thread i think you did where the guy from your area hunts as he mentioned the back sides of farm lands ect are good but the alsea is a good area so you won't have to go far. get a map and learn the area do some scouting and look for fresh sign right now is a good time to look before hunting season starts then the deer go into hiding but if you have a idea of where they are then you'll know where to hunt. if its first time take the hunters ed advice or look into hunter ed books

the amount of hunter orange is up to you on how safe you want to be another thing do not ware deer/elk colors like white, tan, brown, or

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top