JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Something that's been on my mind lately is what I'd do if I needed to get across the Willamatte in the event of an emergency. Sit in traffic with the rest of the herd? Abandon the vehicle and try to cross one of the bridges on foot? Swim as a last resort?

Any thoughts?

I live in West Salem, so it won't matter to me. Of course if the SHTF I'd prefer the bridges be blown up to separate me from the certain villainy of downtown Salem...

Hey thanks alot! Don't blow the bridge I'm out south! I would take south river road until it reaches independence. Small bridge easily crossed. The Marion street bridge sucks even in a non SHTF time.

Dan

I was thinking about this situation the other day, but my predicament would be to get across the columbia. With such a poor traffic system In Portland, I don't think Im being too cautious.

I was thinking maybe keeping a small roll of cash with me in hopes I could pay a boater to ferry me across if it came to that.

My last ditch effort involves our kayaks across the Columbia. Not ideal, but our BOL is across the river..... Planned pick-up on the other side coordinated with ham radio. Hopefully, if we needed to get there, it would be an event we could see coming and make a river crossing at night on the bridge. I don't want to make that crossing in personal watercraft carrying only what they will hold. I would rather have my truck loaded for bear!

There is a similar predicament if one is in downtown Seattle, and wanting to go North or East over Lake Washington.

I'd probably abandon the vehicle if nothing was passable or traffic was seriously jammed, and attempt a bridge by either foot or bicycle. If neither was feasible, throw some $ at a boater to get me across the water that flows West from Lake Washington, through Lake Union, and out to Puget Sound as it passes Ballard.

Peter

honestly the best shtf vehicle is a morotcycle(dirtbike)or quad.you can go off road to get around traffic and go forever on little fuel

Have been leaning that way too. Also with limited understanding of results/impact of EMP, basic vehicles like cycles and quads aren't affected like electronic ignition of more complex/current vehicles - but I need to research that more! ATVs still don't solve the river (mighty Columbia) crossing.

I would say it depends on the level of emergency and where the herd is headed. At a certain emergency level, that "herd" of cars isn't moving at all and you are in fact better off walking or even swimming if it was that serious. At a dead run, I can probably make it across any Willamette bridge, with the exceptions of the Marquam, St. Johns and Fremont, in less than 3 minutes. Even in the event that swimming is better than staying on the side you are on, it's really not that far and if you're "not that strong a swimmer" start upstream from your intended destination. I personally would purchase a $15-20,000 single-seat helicopter that I hauled behind me in a trailer. I love more than anything when the folks from Vancouver whine about Portland roads and traffic. They are all familiar with our road system, because they rely upon our state and our city for a job. That, or they drive over for some good ol' American tax evasion! While I will not state that the road system in Portland is tops, Vancouver doesn't exactly set the standard either. If a cloud of nuclear death were creeping up or the werewolf/vampire/zombie/Chinese army were giving chase and your only choice to live was to swim across the Willamette in Portland, your will to live will get you there. It is not the English Channel.

When the meth runs out you'll find plenty of vile creatures live on your side of the river.

you got that right,salem is full of meth heads.....so thats where they got the idea of zombies?ever notice a woman who has been doing meth for any amount of time starts to look like a zombie with the sunk in jaw?
zombies dont eat you.....they will try to smoke you!

Great replies folks, thanks.

I live in Johns Landing and have thought about using the river itself as a get out of dodge route, which obviously depends on the type and degree of S that is H-ing the F. Personally, I plan to be long gone before any kind of realistic (IMHO) scenario that results in Portland being a free fire zone or bridges in Salem being taken out.

As to the towing-around-your-own-personal-helicopter idea, something kind of along those lines actually isn't that far fetched (although its a few years out). Planning on making that a separate post though, so I don't hijack my own thread. :)

I need a truck powerful enough to tow my helicopter powerful enough to lift my truck...

My Jeep Wrangler could tow most helicopters...but most helicopters couldn't lift my Jeep, unless I had eight figures to spend on said helicopter in which case I wouldn't need to tow it.

Practical answer to OP's question: buy a surplus aircraft survival raft (or two - use one of them for gear) and a tilling motor, therefore when the poo hit's the turbine just pull the cord, stand back, all aboard and you're off like a herd of turtles! ...albeit much faster than those stuck on the bridge.

Also it's useful as shelter should you need it.

its not only the big rivers but all the little rivers that will get you. If an earthquake is the problem and say it takes out all the bridges just look at a map of the valley say east of I5 and imagine what it would take to make it down to Silverton from the Portland area. Theres dozens of rivers creeks and washes that would stop any vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top