JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is something that really interests me since I live in Beaverton but work on the east side. My company brought in a geologist that works for the state to talk about the earthquake zone and what we should expect. They believe that if there is a subduction zone earthquake that all the bridges in the Portland area will fail. He believed that a few would still be standing but might pull back from the road and make them impassable by vehicles. My thoughts are most likely that I would grab my bag and then hoof it over the bridge and then hike home. If all the bridges come down then I am paying a boater to take me across or commandeer the sub at OMSI:)

Down here in Florence we are surrounded by water on three sides and a aria prone to slides with a tunnel on the north. I remember back in 96' we were quite literally blocked off from the rest of the world by a combo of floods and mudslides for several days. Fortunately most of us were able to simply wait it out. Not sure what I would do in a similar situation it were to become unsafe to stay put.

Kevinsjetpack005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think about this almost everyday since I work just over the Willamette and 10 miles from home. Near the bridge that I have to cross (Wilsonville) is a small marina with a dozen or so boats, life vests, etc. And just past the marina is a rail bridge that crosses the river. In the event of a massive earthquake I imagine the freeway bridge would take more damage than the rail bridge which is all steel so it could be another way to cross on foot.

A subduction earthquake will cause massive liquefaction near any large body of water, turning the shore into a waist deep stretch of mud, not to mention the surrounding debris and chaos from fires, downed power lines, trees etc. Getting to open water to deploy a raft or catch a ride from a "friendly boater" is going to be tough. In an urban area with a lot of bridges e.g. Seattle it's likely going to be impossible.

Here is a pic from the 1964 Alaska quake which illustrates what it might look like.

This whole page is worth reading. Alaska was an 8.4, and the big one in the PNW could be as big or bigger.

http://www.smate.wwu.edu/teched/geology/eq-Alaska64.html

A subduction earthquake will cause massive liquefaction near any large body of water, turning the shore into a waist deep stretch of mud, not to mention the surrounding debris and chaos from fires, downed power lines, trees etc. Getting to open water to deploy a raft or catch a ride from a "friendly boater" is going to be tough. In an urban area with a lot of bridges e.g. Seattle it's likely going to be impossible.

Here is a pic from the 1964 Alaska quake which illustrates what it might look like.

This whole page is worth reading. Alaska was an 8.4, and the big one in the PNW could be as big or bigger.

Geologic Hazards Slides, Volume 2 - Earthquake Events

Wow, that is terrifying! Thanks for the pic and link!

Inflatable kayak is by far the cheapest and easiest to store in your trunk. Pump it up, assemble the paddle and off you go. I would recommend a good life jacket, and when you get to the other side, sell it to someone that is wanting to cross the other way.

Even if a bridge survived, the powers that be would shut them down (for your safety) until they were all inspected. So if you have to cross a bridge and it's still standing, cross it fast before they get shut down.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top