JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now that we've made the jump to V3 we're going to begin working on various site improvements, bug fixes, etc. The most frequently asked support questions pertain images and video, so it's near the top of our list. We're looking at various options to improve both the process for uploading/attaching/embedding and also the way these items are displayed.

I'd like to hear any feedback you might have, especially pros and cons of our system or others you have used on other sites. Please remember to note whether you usually view the site on a computer, tablet, or phone.

I'll post some examples below to give you an idea of current behavior and display. It's clear we need to choose an option and standardize all methods of behavior and display.

Feel free to post your own images here for testing.

This is a 1793x1158 image uploaded from a computer using the UPLOAD A FILE button. It has been resized to our maximum attachment size (1600px width or height). We did not use the THUMBNAIL or FULL IMAGE buttons to insert it into the post.

Clicking the image portion pops up a lightbox sized appropriately for all screens. Clicking the file name opens a full resolution image in another tab, also sized appropriately for all screens.

PX9109LP_1.jpg

Last Edited:
This is a 1793x1158 image uploaded from a computer using the UPLOAD A FILE button. It has been resized to our maximum attachment size (1600px width or height). We used the THUMBNAIL button to insert it into the post.

Clicking this pops up a lightbox sized appropriately for all screens. This is the same as clicking the image portion of an attachment (see above).

PX9109LP_1.jpg

PX9109LP_1.jpg

Last Edited:
This is a 1793x1158 image uploaded from a computer using the UPLOAD A FILE button. It has been resized to our maximum attachment size (1600px width or height). We used the FULL IMAGE button to insert it into the post.

This is the same as using the image button to insert an image from another website.

Note that when clicked the image displays at it's full resolution, despite the screen site of the user, and is not aligned properly with the center of the screen. This is something I consider an issue, especially for tablets and mobile.

PX9109LP_1.jpg

I've noticed some photos on my IPhone do not show up at all. Using the Safari browser. I can use Chrome and then see them. I am impressed on how fast I can upload photos.. 10687283_836980313011537_4041797600487193415_o.jpg

I view equally on both a laptop and a tablet, occasionally on a phone. I've found the photo and video insertion tools to work just fine. I probably post photos 50/50 from my computer or tablet using the 'upload a file' button, for which I always use the 'full image' option as I like the photos embedded in the post, rather than a thumbnail people have to click on (I hate that). For the other photos, I use the 'insert image' button and copy/paste a link from the interwebs.

Videos work just fine in most cases. My only complaint would be the limit to which providers you can embed. Youtube is probably my most used, but occasionally I may want to insert a video from a site that isn't on the 'approved' list. Off the top of my head at the moment I can't think of a particular site that I've not been able to post from, but it's happened several times - and there wasn't always an option to go to YT, Vimeo, etc. to find that same video.

Other than that, I find the photo/video tools actually work well as they are.

Joe, I for one have no thoughts about How all the above functions, they function. End of Sentence.

My Only Concern is the issue of what/when photo's pass the level of decency for this Forum . . . I do not wish to see them, and yet, hey, it's a done deal, cause I am scrolling down the page, and it's sexual contents abounding away.

Can there be some sort of Filter that blocks such nonsense?

Sure, I know and Use the Report Post . . . But I have obviously learned that what one considers "beyond decency" is another man's cup of tea. As the same offensive photos stay up, regardless . . . Who makes that call, you, or some
moderator ? ? ?

I would consider the number of Women on this forum, and set Standards of Decency . . .

philip, Out.

I am using a 6s w/saf...I can see everything you posted!
If I recall the user Tac had posted several photos, and some of them were not showing up. If that helps.

Good to hear it's working. If you notice it again please let me know so I can make note of it.

I view equally on both a laptop and a tablet, occasionally on a phone. I've found the photo and video insertion tools to work just fine. I probably post photos 50/50 from my computer or tablet using the 'upload a file' button, for which I always use the 'full image' option as I like the photos embedded in the post, rather than a thumbnail people have to click on (I hate that). For the other photos, I use the 'insert image' button and copy/paste a link from the interwebs.

Videos work just fine in most cases. My only complaint would be the limit to which providers you can embed. Youtube is probably my most used, but occasionally I may want to insert a video from a site that isn't on the 'approved' list. Off the top of my head at the moment I can't think of a particular site that I've not been able to post from, but it's happened several times - and there wasn't always an option to go to YT, Vimeo, etc. to find that same video.

Other than that, I find the photo/video tools actually work well as they are.

As always, thanks for the detailed feedback :)

I don't like the thumbnail requiring a click either, I prefer the photo to be posted full size. The thumbnail option is one we could do away with. The behavior I dislike the most is the full size, mis-sized image as shown in image #4. Viewing it on a desktop is poor, mobile is even worse.

I think ideally I'd like to have images (both embedded or uploaded) displayed full size, with the behavior of the pic in post #3. This way the image is displayed according to the screen size, shown in the lightbox when clicked, and full resolution when the button is clicked in the lightbox.

We need to start putting together a list of video providers so we can update the options. If anyone thinks of any, please PM me and let me know.

Joe, I for one have no thoughts about How all the above functions, they function. End of Sentence.

My Only Concern is the issue of what/when photo's pass the level of decency for this Forum . . . I do not wish to see them, and yet, hey, it's a done deal, cause I am scrolling down the page, and it's sexual contents abounding away.

Can there be some sort of Filter that blocks such nonsense?

Sure, I know and Use the Report Post . . . But I have obviously learned that what one considers "beyond decency" is another man's cup of tea. As the same offensive photos stay up, regardless . . . Who makes that call, you, or some
moderator ? ? ?

I would consider the number of Women on this forum, and set Standards of Decency . . .

philip, Out.

Thanks for the feedback Philip. I agree with you, the easily accessible portions of the site should be family friendly. Unfortunately we can't view every thread, so without people reporting inappropriate content we generally can't do anything about it. As the site equivalent of a police officer, it's generally up to the moderators what they feel is inappropriate. The moderators do answer to me though, and if you don't agree with their call I'm always happy to take a look.

As always, thanks for the detailed feedback :)

I don't like the thumbnail requiring a click either, I prefer the photo to be posted full size. The thumbnail option is one we could do away with. The behavior I dislike the most is the full size, mis-sized image as shown in image #4. Viewing it on a desktop is poor, mobile is even worse.

I think ideally I'd like to have images (both embedded or uploaded) displayed full size, with the behavior of the pic in post #3. This way the image is displayed according to the screen size, shown in the lightbox when clicked, and full resolution when the button is clicked in the lightbox.

I've been in the habit of resizing photos (at least the ones I upload) prior to uploading them. I typically resize to 1200x1600 and can't say that it's caused the issue you mention. It doesn't appear the upload button restricts a maximum file size - something I'm used to seeing on other forums. Is it possible to put that restriction in? Maybe that would help prevent the 'overflow' photos?

Our software actually automatically resizes anything over 1600px to that limit (while maintaining the aspect ratio). We set it up so most people would never be able to tell the difference (better user experience) :)

Click the image below for an example of what I don't like.

Horse-and-pony.jpg

Our software actually automatically resizes anything over 1600px to that limit (while maintaining the aspect ratio). We set it up so most people would never be able to tell the difference (better user experience) :)

Click the image below for an example of what I don't like.

View attachment 267481

You don't like little ponies??? :oops:

I do see what you're saying now though, yes that is annoying.

That's the default behavior for images people either embed from a different URL or insert as 'full size' images. They're fine if you don't click on them, but once you do everything breaks.

This is a 1793x1158 image uploaded from a computer using the UPLOAD A FILE button. It has been resized to our maximum attachment size (1600px width or height). We used the FULL IMAGE button to insert it into the post.

This is the same as using the image button to insert an image from another website.

Note that when clicked the image displays at it's full resolution, despite the screen site of the user, and is not aligned properly with the center of the screen. This is something I consider an issue, especially for tablets and mobile.

View attachment 267441
I like this picture size when you open the

View attachment 267441
I like how the picture is large and you do not have to click on it to make it bigger. If you just disabled the ability to click on the image and make it bigger it seems like it would work just great. I can't see why someone would want a bigger picture than this.

Ok guys, I think we got it.

Our goal is to display images as large as possible in the post box (limited by screen size). When clicked the image will display at a larger size in the lightbox, along with additional photos in the post and a full size display option. For attachments we removed the 'full size' button since it's automatic, but the thumbnail button can be used to arrange where a person wants a thumbnail positioned within a post.

The goal here is to improve the way images are displayed while making the system easier to use.

We haven't gone back and updated existing photos yet, but both embedded images and uploaded attachments should display like this going forward. We'll make sure it's working as we intend for a couple of days, then go back and convert existing attachments to this setup.

Feel free to use this thread for testing ;)

Example 1 - Upload A File Button

animals-smile_3379238k.jpg

Example 2 - Embedded Image

702979main_SSC-2012-01487.jpg

animals-smile_3379238k.jpg

702979main_SSC-2012-01487.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show