JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm considering removing the Profile Posts feature from the site, and I'd like to hear your feedback.

Those who don't know what this feature is see this and this.

I believe the original intent was to create something similar to a Facebook wall, where members can post status updates, post to other peoples profiles, etc. Thing is, if we've got something to say publicly most of us just create a new thread. Personally, I don't see a valid use here, especially considering these points in favor of it's removal:
  • It would reduce confusion and make the site easier to use
    • This is my main motivation for removal. Looking at the New Profile Posts tab under New, you can see that most profile posts are people who think they're sending a private conversation, leaving feedback, answering a question, etc. Eliminating this feature would make it easier for them do what they're actually trying to do.
  • It would reduce clutter and streamline the user interface
    • There are quite a few different places with links, forms, etc. pertaining to this system.
  • It's not used much
    • There have been an average of 1.5 profile posts posted per day over the past year.
I'd like to hear your thoughts :)

It can go in my opinion, I've got one on mine from two to three years back that I'm pretty certain I didn't even notice for a month when I got it. Now it sits there, forever. Private messages are better for that type of communication in my opinion.

Lets see: Reduce Confusion, Easier to Use, Reduce Clutter, Streamlined ... NOT USED MUCH.

Easy ... Bye Bye...

Thanks Joe for all you do..

here in the Outback we're pretty suspicious/naive/clueless:eek: regardless of what the internets do.....regardless of what it is....
...but thanks for asking....
Unnecessary frill IMHO:confused:

I've never used it and didn't even know it exists... therefore I don't care about it.

I use New Posts, PMs, and Classified Ads, in that order. If I run out of interesting things to read, I go to the Forum headings and take a look around.

Off the subject, but the options that are available, reminds me of Reddit.
Back on topic, deactivate the feature for members, save for the moderators

I've used it a decent amount over the years. Losing it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd prefer it still be a feature. But I may be a minority in that opinion.

As a relative newcomer to the site, I spotted it but really haven't seen its utility. I'm not much of the "Hey y'all I just made dinner" kind of guy. I could live without it. I could also be convinced of its worth.

Yep, the middle of the fence is where I be.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top