JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the 80's I was forced by an employer to carry their ancient Colt 5-shot .38 revolver with the hammer down on an empty cylinder. DROVE ME NUTS. Off duty, I carried my own Gold Cup because I was efficient with it and prefered the knockdown power of the .45, not to mention 7 rounds vs. 4.

A year after I left that job, I was showing a buddy the considerable damage a .45 can cause in various targets we took to the range for that purpose. That's when I discovered that my trusty target pistol was great at cycling cheap low-powered semi-wadcutters, and dismal for rechambering expensive JHP rounds. Stovepipe city with the very ammo I'd been carrying for 5 years.

The point? Full or not full, chambered or not chambered - make sure your weapon can reliably cycle and shoot those extra-expensive SHTF rounds you reserve "just for emergencies."

That's why you go to the range and test each mag several dozen times. That should eliminate any such fears.

I test all my firearms that I trust with my life and it is not a fear for me since I never top off my mags... :) I've seen it happen many times, mostly in the military, but strangely, its never happened to me because I never top off my mags. Or maybe I'm just lucky and should start buying lottery tickets. Besides, what is one round or two between friends...? :) Your Magazines May Vary.

The dude who will only load ten should remember that if he is in a fair fight, his tactics suck...:)

My bedstand gun is a 6" Colt Officers Model 38 cal revolver, with 6 in it. It's almost 90 years old and has a very smooth double action. and a hair trigger single action, I've owned this revolver since 1967, I will trust my life, and the lives of my family to it. Buffalo Bore 38 +p hollow points. Originally owned by a NYC cop, then my FIL, me since 1967. Actually was a wedding gift from my FIL...:)

When you are half asleep, you do not want to fumble. I also have a few other double acction and semi's around the house, JIC I am not in bed if we have an unwanted visitor. We also have a 4 legged doorbell...Franky the Dachshund.

I'm no expert, but I cannot imagine any scenario where you would not want your magazine completely full. You never know what will arise. Expect the unexpected.

No matterhow skilled one is, 3 rds ain't enough to deal with a home invasion party by the Manson Family, or a bunch of meth heads. That story about the lady blasting the Orc in the face and neck with 5 rds is the answer to "Why does anybody need more than 10 bullets?" (sic)

Winchester 1300 Defender with 5 #4 turkey loads and 2 SST penetrating slugs just in case I get some jag-off wearing a vest. 3 more of each in the side mounted shell holder. I don't want to have to aim much when half-asleep. So the handguns are for carry and practice only. Nothing says GAME OVER more than a 12 gauge and a man who can use it.

Another vote for a shotgun. However I fill mine with 8 rounds of 7-1/2 shot . I have little boys at home and am very concerned with over penetration.... So although not ideal it is my best attempt at compromise.

^^^I have kids too. Point understood. Single story houses are indeed risky but all the bedrooms at my house are upstairs so I'm not super concerned about it. Either way, any load is better than nothing. Shotguns (short barrel no choke) are nothing to take lightly.

Never been in the situation where I needed to use one for HD, but I doubt when in that situation that my shooting would be dead on, I imagine there will be a lot of shooting "by aiming" especially at close distances, so the more rounds the safer.

Enough in my handgun to get me to my shotgun ,,,

Enough in my shotgun to get me to my backup shotgun,,,

Enough in my backup shotgun to get me to my AR ,,,

I live alone ,,, If they are on the other side of the walls,,, too bad for them. No frangible ammo in my hi cap mags ,,,

Call before you come by and oh,,, No surprise parties .

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top