JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A reason to not top off your mags:

Cheap, knockoff Korean magazines will fail under pressure. (Or, at least, mine did.)

A year ago I found a great deal on Korean manufactured 15 round Glock mags. They looked exactly like the real deal, and that first time and the range they functioned flawlessly. After returning from that singe range experience with them, I loaded them up and threw them in the nightstand drawer. Not long ago, I decide I need to practice with the HD weapon and grab those mags on the way out the door. And guess what? NONE of them would cycle! The springs in these cheapo's had failed (presumabely, due to maximum load stress) and they were now nothing but paperweights.

I've had real Glock magazines fully loaded for years and they continue to work perfectly. But, not all magazines are created the same and some just don't seem to be designed for storage under load.

The moral of this story is never to buy knockoff cheap stuff to defend your life with. AND to practice regularly with the stuff you do depend on.

If over penetration is a major concern a 5.56 carbine properly loaded is the best way to go. Very accurate, plenty of power with less penetration than most effective pistol and shotgun loads.

What do you mean by "properly loaded"? Most everything I've seen of actual testing in simulated walls shows the 5.56 to be the worst for over penetrating. Www.theboxotruth.com
Bird shot, while not ideal, does not penetrate the third layer of sheetrock.... Good old 5.56 didn't stop after the 12th layer. Yikes.

I don't carry my firearm everyday, but if I did 15 or 15+1 JHP's would be good (Beretta M9). I have two magazine's though so I'd probably carry the other one in my pocket. Gotta worry about overpenetration in a SHTF situation so good to have them with JHP's. On the other hand I don't visit the range often enough due to money issue's and think that it might be a bad idea to carry until I can get my accuracy with the firearm down enough to not worry about hitting what I don't want to hit.

For my primary pistol, 15+1, plus another 130 in mags on my desk.
Backup pistol, 6+1, plus 6 more in the spare mag.

The shotgun is loaded as far as it can go (5 rounds).

All AR's (5 total) have a mag in the gun (30 rounds in the 15's, 20 in my .308), with 400+ rounds in spare mags.

Think you can solve all of your problems with 3 rounds? Good for you. You can go downstairs first.

9 rnds in the 45...5 rnds in the revolver..and 100 lbs of fur and teeth sleeping by the front door...I live alone too and can't count how many times I have gone to bed and forgot to lock my door...Who ever built this shack I'm living in had defense in mind, it is a maze and I can easily defend my position right from bed, I sleep good at night

Two full mags, plus one in the pipe already.

A mix of hollow points and some hardened PDX rounds that are supposed to cleave through heavy clothing.

If that doesn't work, a shotgun 5 rounds, mix of slugs and buck.

My fall back would be my 10/22 with 6 loaded mags, and then my muzzle loader. If I go through all that, they earned their win.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top