JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did not report my Charter Arms Pitbulls as I won't carry them, good house guns but almost as slow as a NAA to reload. I have two other in 357 and 38, but they were used and questionable. I also have a great Taurus 605 357 Snubby but it protects my bathroom. I have owned mine over fifteen years, and while I do not shoot it much anymore, I trust it. I just prefer to carry six shooters or better.

Taurus Model 85 has always gotten good reviews as a Five shooter and in 2018 they released the 856 which is a six shot 38 based on the 85.

I conceal carry this S&W 642 CT at times with the +P.
D8419147-A225-4CB6-B50A-71DB523441BA.jpeg

This S&W Governor also but not concealed.

B4F1176D-A84A-4688-B89F-0EA71A8BFC41.jpeg

S & W Model 638. I liked the option of being able to cock it if I wanted and the shroud kept a hammer spur from snagging clothing. After I shot it a bit I realized that the shroud covering the hammer except for a small tab was superfluous. I would not, however, want a normal hammer, even if bobbed, since it is possible that it might need to be fired from inside a pocket or purse. For that reason, I would suggest either the 638 (or variant) or 642. The hammer on the 638 doesn't create any problem, it just isn't needed for anything. I don't know much of anything about the M & P revolvers. But I'm happy with my 638 and carry a speed loader (5 rounds) when I carry it.

An early Smith 642 does it for me with 38+P. I had Clark Custom do a service action job on it...."Double & Single Action lightened and smoothed to be reliable with all primers. ("J" Frame triggers are polished & radiused included.)" Now a smoother action and its been 100% reliable. The 642 or an LCP keep me covered.

Around town:

S&W 640 .357 in a Don Hume pocket holster. I like the extra weight of the 640, and shooting 38's out of it is very nice.

BAB1C76D-5859-484A-A1AC-820261BDD496.jpeg

On the farm:

Ruger GP100 5" .357 - not sure who made the holster.

170DA025-A799-4896-A2F1-A357FB0A3B4B.jpeg

My edc is a Taurus model 85 in a pocket holster with 2 speed strips for reloads. I have had it for years and is always with me...regardless if I have my Glock, 1911 or other on. Looks ugly as sin (finish is scratched and beat up) but trust it with my life!

Rock Island Armory has some nice revolvers that im going to check out. I'm thinking the M206.
Check the action when you pull it out of the box.
If it feels rough, pull it apart and clean it (you're gonna have to clean it anyway, they come slathered in some kind of grease...might be Cosmoline).
According to some you tube videos floating around, a lot of metal shavings tend to make it into the works when the guns are assembled.
Once clean, lightly re-grease the parts, reassemble the gun and it should work fine.
Let us know how you like that one. I'm still thinking about a model 200.

Dean

I've been wanting to check out a .327 mag small frame revolver. Ballistics look pretty good and I think they come in 7 round cylinders.
I do like the S&W ultra lights. Heard there were issues with the scandium frames but must be through that as they are still making them.
Ruger makes a 6 shot .327 in the LCR series.

Dean

Yes they make the LCR with a full shroud and the LCRx with exposed hammer. I have the original LCR 327.

The hottest factory load I have used is the American Eagle 100 Grain, they are very stout in the LCR, I have the same make 85Grain and that is easier on me, I have some 100 Grain Short Barrel Gold Dots that I have yet to try. You can shoot 32 S&W and 32 S&W Long in it, but I have not tried them. I have tried 32 H&R Magnum and that is available in a good self defense round, would be excellent for the recoil sensitive. I will buy me some of them! I carry the stout AE 100 grain as I have not tested the others enough or at all. The LCRx 327 comes with the short Hogue Tamer Boot grip where many of the other LCRx come with the longer Hogue Tamer grip. I bought the longer one for my LCR. (I did break my wrist years ago, but now I can use more help there) (My son put them on his regular 38 LCR) I like the 327 and I should buy a LCRx 327 to compliment my LCR 327.

Oh don't let me forget to mention holsters, you will need to get a custom made holster if getting a formed holster, Kydex or molded leather. The 327's cylinder is longer than a 357's so the 327 needs custom formed. Holster makers use direct replica 'Blue' guns (That is just the color polymer most replicas were cast in) that is a expense most did not choose to deal with and so most makers of Kydex or molded leather do not offer an option for 327 LCR's. Crossbreed does, and you can get one made, using your gun as a mold, locally. Nylon works as well as Nylon works. (Not a Nylon fan)

I do have heavy Stainless Steel Ruger Blackhawk in 327, it's a eight shooter, tames those AE 100 grain right down. I like the expensive round, to me it is the ideal conceal carry round, and while it is very satisfying at the range, it is too expensive for most to consider as a range gun …. unless you reload.

Last Edited:
Due to advancing chronic back issues carrying anything heavy on my waist causes pain, so for around the casa I carry a J-Frame size 2" .38.

Fe: S&W - It is my observation that build quality was better on the old guns. Given the choice, I would buy an old gun over one with the Klintoon Lock.

My model 60 (current production) has been my wheel gun carry piece. I do like the 3" barrel and the larger sights. Currently breaking in my Galco belt holster since I got a new belt. Carries nicely, though having a 28" waistline, it has to to go more towards the back rather than along the side per se.

20220121_161117.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads