JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I probably carry a revolver about 2/3rd of the time I am carrying. I have a number to choose from: Ruger LCR; Ruger SP-101; Taurus 85, 650, 651 titanium and 605 Poly; S&W Model 60 and the one's I don't carry concealed: Ruger Blackhawk, Ruger Speed Six, Ruger Security Six and the Ruger GP-100. These days, I am carrying the Ruger LCR and the Taurus 605 Poly more than anything else. Loaded with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .38 +P 135 grain JHP with six rounds in a ammo wallet as a reload.

In my environment as a healthcare executive who does not drink to excess, take drugs, hang out with people who do, and does not go prowling around sketchy areas at night, I do not feel undergunned with my revolvers. I also have a number of pistols that I carry at times for variety. Most of those are 9 mm.

It all comes down to priorities. Do ya want a gun that shoots well, or do ya want a gun that is easy to carry? One of the best compromises is a Smith and Wesson Model 36 or 60 or any of its variants. It's still a tiny little revolver, but they shoot quite well. There's a plethora of holster choices, and if ya choose the right one, the grip will hug your side tightly and wont be sticking thru your shirt.

I have carried a LCR a lot. It weighs very little, but is still quite shootable.

The SP101 is a little bit tanky for a small gun. That's a good thing if you plan on shooting it, but not so much if your only concern is comfortable carry.

So, the sky is the limit for small revolvers. Don't be a cheapskate when it comes to holsters, and they'll be every bit as concealable as the little throw-away plastic pistols.

The other thing...Concealment can't take a back seat to fashion. If wearing something a little sloppier makes for better concealment, that might have more value than how you look to the chicks.

Now if you set aside your prejudices, you also might discover that a slightly larger revolver can also be carried comfortably with the right holster, and infinitely easier to shoot. A snub nose K-Frame, L-Frame, Security/Speed Six can be carried very high and tight.

I place emphasis on holsters, but the belt is every bit as important for proper carry. A non-stretch belt that can be cinched up like a saddle on a horse is very important.

Last Edited:
My wife used to carry a Taurus 2" Stainless/hammerless/ported .357 in a fanny pack. Now we use it for a car gun when we travel and inside our 5th for part of our camp defense strategy. We also belt carry it on the trail when we are out (if we ever get back to it), and I plan to belt carry the Windicator .357 that I bought from @kmk1012 on the trail. (BTW... Kyle is a great guy. He was in town yesterday and gifted me a few more items for the revolver. Unfortunately I missed an opportunity to buy him a meal. Sorry Kyle!!! :oops:)

I have two carry guns - the revolver is a S&W model 15 snubby loaded with some 38 special +p+ 158 gr wad cutters
I like a snub nose k frame for carry.

My other is a 40S&W cs40.

Ya, @WAYNO I'll admit in my 6 or 7 years of carrying I've gotten lazy.

I definitely choose comfort over firepower these days. Hence why I pretty much solely carry my LCP in a very comfortable leather pancake OWB holster. I can't seem to make my Glock 43 do what my LCP does.

I'm not one too oversize clothes or pants or anything that's uncomfortable anymore. I like to wear what I like to wear.

I'm definitely going to have to look at all the recommendations listed here.

I'm not much of a revolver person so I'm completely under a rock for models and such.

As for those that carry them, what type of holsters are you using. This far my most Comfortable rig I've found is the Winthrop Leather pancake OWB. Freaking love it with most pistols I've tried.

I carry my revolver in a pancake holster that rides over my right kidney. My wife does not like me carrying in the house because I have a tendency to be like a bull in a China shop and the full coverage of the paddle holster protects the chairs and walls hence I don't have to hear about it.

Smith & Wesson M&P340 357 mag in a pocket holster.
003.JPG

Go with a Smith or Ruger. However, Charter Arms does make a passably good .44 Special 5-shot. Just don't shoot anything hot out of it or you'll wreck it.

I carry 44 Magnum 4" SS Ruger Redhawk on my chest when I am doing mountain hiking. That, of course, is something I haven't done in a while, but looking to get back into that. I use a polymer Kenai Chest holster that fits on my chest that is easily adjustable and pretty comfortable. I was all too happy to get rid of my crappy and poorly fitted Simply Rugged Chest pully system. I still have the Simply Rugged holsters which I like for my revolver, but they are not good for chest carry.

As far as daily carry, I carry Ruger LCR as my BUG to compliment my semi auto 9mm M&P.

Smith and Wesson Model 36 or 60 or any of its variants. It's still a tiny little revolver, but they shoot quite well.
They shoot INCREDIBLY well! 2" groups @ 25 yards are possible with good grips and ammo - I know - I have done it.
These are Pachmayr Diamond Pro on my Mod 60 and give it almost a 'K' frame feel.
IMG_1348.JPG

Taurus model 741 .32 H&R Magnum. 3" barrel, stainless and small frame. I don't carry it often, but it is nice for summer carry. I am still looking for a .327 Magnum with a similar frame. The 3" is supposedly pretty rare.
P1210225.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top