JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
S&W 642-1, inside the waist band in a formed leather holster. Very comfortable.
Couldn't agree more, my 642 rides in a Cardini…
B365A6D0-DAF6-4D35-8ABE-872294D49A6C.jpeg

S&W 442 w/Crimson Trace grips

OR

S&W Shield Gen 1 with Magguts +1 mods so my flush mags are 8 rnds and my "extended" mags are 9 rnds.

Been carrying the Shield more often every since the "mostly peaceful" ANTIFA/BLM insurrection riots. . .

* And yes, I consider burning Federal buildings, police stations and businesses far closer to insurrection, than wandering aimlessly through the Capitol bldg.
wjv- *The lib/dem/proggie/commucrat media rules the roost. If it had been an actual insurrection, the crowd would have been armed, with specific goals in mind.*

I usually don't carry revolvers unless in the hills. A J-frame or Police Positive.38 is the revolver Im likely to have in town. The other revolvers would be a Python safe-queen or a Model 28 S&W. Mostly tho I pack a Makarov or a Glock 21. Sometimes I might drop a Tokarev down the back of my pants, very concealable..

Last Edited:
I have two revolvers I often carry.

A 3" Ruger SP101 with 357 Mag 125 JHP. This load rates at 95% in the "Handguns and Stopping Power".

A Vaquero 4 5/8" in 45 Colt with 255 Grain pills. If I am in the wilds, it gets 300 Grain hard cast at 1200 FPS.

A 3" Ruger SP101 with 357 Mag 125 JHP. This load rates at 95% in the "Handguns and Stopping Power".
When Ruger first introduced .357 in the SP101 it was for the 125gr bullet only. I was playing "touchie-feelie" with one at the Gun Room and almost bought it. Those "125gr bullet only" now are somewhat of a collectors item. I often wish I'd bought one, but I'da probably traded it away by now.

Colt King Cobra, 3" barrel, Geo. Bowers leather. My dog-walking gun for the neighborhood (180 grain Buffalo Bore hard-cast), the tweakers on my rural road let their pit mixes loose too often...
king.jpg

wjv- *The lib/dem/proggie/commucrat media rules the roost. If it had been an actual insurrection, the crowd would have been armed, with specific goals in mind.*

I usually don't carry revolvers unless in the hills. A J-frame or Police Positive.38 is the revolver Im likely to have in town. The other revolvers would be a Python safe-queen or a Model 28 S&W. Mostly tho I pack a Makarov or a Glock 21. Sometimes I might drop a Tokarev down the back of my pants, very concealable..
Try reading it again. . .

I never mentioned the Capitol protest.

I mentioned the ANTIFA/BLM insurrection riots

My go to cc setup. S&W something :) J-frame .357 Scandium Alloy frame with a stainless steel cylinder. Love it. Swapped out the laser grips for old wood grips, way better as the smaller grips make it easier to grab while in the pocket. No fun to shoot in .357, but I wanted that to give myelf confidence against big critters while in the woods, should that happen. Carry in my front right pocket.

20220327_113452.jpg 20220327_113423.jpg 20220327_113405.jpg

I used to have a S&W 637 in my carry rotation(for summer carry).
I have not carried a wheel gun in while, I'd be temped to if Colt brings back the anaconda in .45 Long Colt and a 4" barrel, that plus some pachmayr decelerator grips.(always loved how they look and feel on Colt snake guns)
The most ideal situation would be if Colt comes out with it in .45 LC and cylinder cut for moon clips so .45 ACP can also be used.

When I'm not carrying one of my SIG P938s I carry this S&W Model 60 no dash, loaded with Hornady Critical Defense, and two speedloaders loaded with the same.

View attachment 540092

When I got it it was new in the box and had a horribly heavy double action trigger pull, beyond the 12 lb. maximum on my Lyman trigger pull gauge. The stiff trigger pull and narrow grooved trigger was actually painful.

View attachment 540346
View attachment 540093

I did a trigger job including a lighter rebound slide spring, installed a smooth combat trigger and bobbed hammer (because I agree with this Why All Defensive Revolvers Should be Double Action Only), and replaced the grips with Crimson Trace LG-305 Lasergrips. I still have all of the original parts so I can always return it to its original configuration.
VERY nice! Love that stainless. My J-frame is only .38, but I like it anyway!

My go to cc setup. S&W something :) J-frame .357 Scandium Alloy frame with a stainless steel cylinder. Love it. Swapped out the laser grips for old wood grips, way better as the smaller grips make it easier to grab while in the pocket. No fun to shoot in .357, but I wanted that to give myelf confidence against big critters while in the woods, should that happen. Carry in my front right pocket.

View attachment 1164670 View attachment 1164671 View attachment 1164672
You own a 340.
One cure for that .357 might be in handloading.
The cartridge is long enough to comfortably house a 200 gr. SWC, but powered down to .38 Special pressures.
Loaded to 755 MV from a 6" barrel, should yield about 604 MV in your little snubby, but the heavy bullet would still keep the energy up around the normal 158 gr. .38 standard pressure level.
Kind of a modern interpretation of the old .38/200 Eley round.

My EDC, "Buddy" is a 686 snubby with a Crimson Trace grip. He's never been pointed at a human in anger, but he's taken out several small predators back when I had a duck flock. Racoons, possums, skunks, even a couple of foxes.

You own a 340.
The cartridge is long enough to comfortably house a 200 gr. SWC, but powered down to .38 Special pressures.
Loaded to 755 MV from a 6" barrel, should yield about 604 MV in your little snubby, but the heavy bullet would still keep the energy up around the normal 158 gr. .38 standard pressure level.
I like the idea of heavy bullet for caliber. It must carry over from my opinions with rifle bullets.
I carry a 3" 357 with 158gr JSP bullets. To say it's snappy is an understatement. :rolleyes: But I shoot it pretty well.
I have a box of Federal 180gr JHP that I shot a bit of. I really don't think it was as nasty to deal with as the 158s were. If it can reach a decent velocity in short barrel it may be the ticket. It's a heavy enough to penetrate well if it doesn't expand too much. Chances are it won't expand too much because of the reduced velocity of the short barrel. It's lose/win situation, but I'll bet it'll work well IF it could get an honest 900fps.

^^^Exactly^^^
...except I feel the load you describe at the end of your post is a bit much.
At 900 ft./sec. out of a snubbie, that's going to fall into the 1100-1150 ft./sec. range with a longer barrel.
Using a 200 gr. bullet that places ME around 560 ft./lbs., which is basically the Magnum loading.
What I'm trying to convey is that you can use the Magnum case's extra length to securely hold a longer bullet and load it for more controllable recoil.
Because if you take your shot and miss, or hit a non-vital area and the recoil is such that it can displace the gun from your hand, you're in trouble.
The gun needs to be in your hand in order to be of use to you.
...SO...
I figure a .38 Special should put out muzzle energy in the 250-260 ft./lb. range, out of a "normal" sized gun.
With a 200 gr. bullet, that's going to fall in the 750-760 fps MV range.
Out of a snubbie, figure 80% velocity, which would put you a little over 600 ft./sec.
That puts energy in the 160-170 ft.lbs. range.
Same as a standard .38 Special with a 158 gr. bullet. A load that has been stopping man or beast for more years than anyone on this board has been alive.
The nice thing about this load is you have 42 extra grains to help increase momentum and push that bullet further down into the vitals, without attempting to rip the gun from your hand.
This is more lively than the old Super Police load, though, so the bullet shouldn't' tumble, which aids in accuracy.
If you can use a WFN or SWC bullet shape, you should put be able to put a real hurt on whomever is attempting to invade your personal space.

Last Edited:
You own a 340.
Interesting, I have a few SWC molds, ill keep tgat in mind, thanks!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top