JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wanted to get your thoughts...

I've been getting rid of all my ammos boxes (9mm) and just putting them in baggies. It seems to be much easier to carry.

I used to use MTM boxes but they are just too bulky.

Any reason to keep the ammo boxes or use MTM boxes?

Concerns?

I leave mine in the box and stack em in 20mm, and 30 cal ammo cans with dessicant. works pretty good so far.

though I have my 308 loose in a 20mm ammo can because it got wet.

MTM (or similar) boxes serve a number of purposes:

1) They protect the empty brass (and loaded cartridges for that matter) from damage in transit.

2) They can clearly define specific lots of brass, brands of brass, brass of a certain number of firings, or fired in a specific gun.

3) In the load development and testing phase, a sectioned block (or box) allows for organized separation of various loads, allows inspection and visual comparison of the fired brass between different loads.

My ammunition is stored in a shelved cabinet, and very nearly any ammunition in there that is not in a plastic box is factory loads in factory boxes. At last count, I have dies (and actively load) for about 44 calibers. For a number of those calibers, there exists more than one gun. Different guns like different loads. Different loads get a different box. For the reasons stated above, a sectioned hard box for ammunition storage is essential to organized, documented and repeatable quality in handloading.

I have the majority of my ammo stored in military Ammo (30 and 50 cal) cans either in their original cardboard boxes or labeled plastic boxes. I make 98% of the centerfire ammo I use so most of my stuff is in plastic boxes.

I also have some made to purpose wood ammo boxes made from model airplane plywood (1/8th and 1/4" thick birch with many layers) made to look very similar to Military ammo boxes that hold shotgun shells.

The balance of my ammo is stored in factory boxes on a shelf or in magazines in a drawer or bandoliers.

Everything is carefully labeled.

Bulk ammo in .30&.50 cal ammo cans locked in a steel workbench. Commercial ammo and shot shells in boxes and a few plastic bags in a large, fire proof safe that I bought from a going out of buisness sale. I keep a few loaded magazines in the gun safe.

Usually in box, unless I'm anticipating using a lot at once... then they're moved into ziplock-style baggies. I place those baggies either in my range bag, or a nice 50 ammo can, or a Plano ammo box.

Every metal mag is loaded to capacity. From there I keep the majority of ammo in plastic ammo boxes with desiccants. I leave match grade ammo in the box, but bulk packs
(if the same grain) are dumped together.

It saves a pretty good amount of space after you get the ammo out of their boxes.

Like this:

2013-06-23140841.jpg 2013-06-23140853.jpg

:s0131: Buried in a back yard underground room with a large grass covered steel plate over the opening! :s0131:

Hah! Four pistol calibers....Some in the pedestal bed, some in steel ammo boxes and the rest on a shelf above the safe for quick access when going to the range. I have plastic ammo boxes and I save and scrounge factory ammo boxes of the proper caliber and relabel to my personal load for that ammo.

I keep mine in steel a cabinet, a lot of mtm cases for pistol rounds, the rounds I don't have boxes for go in plastic containers that workout supplements and protein come in.
.223 is store in p mags in the safe, overage from that is in a 5gallon bucket.

I prefer the mtm cases when I go to the range. That way I know how much I brought and shot, same goes for pmags. When I get back home I re load the mags and mtm cases.

in magazines or clips, then in factory boxes or MTM cartridge boxes then in 50 cal cans then locked in a tool case... spam cans or wood crates are left as is until ammo is used up then they're discarded.

Unless I'm doing load development I store it loose in 50 cal metal ammo cans. When I go to the range I put 100-200 rounds (or whatever I plan on shooting) into the plastic MTM boxes so that I'm not hauling around too much weight. FYI -- I like to reload in batches of 500+.

If I have different loads for different firearms I not only store them in different ammo cans but also use a different bullet so that it is visibly different.

Load development cartridges are stored in labeled MTM style plastic boxes.

Any factory ammo is left in their original containers and placed into an ammo can.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top