JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How do you pronounce "carbine"?

• Car-Bean

Votes: 115 84.6%
  • Car-Byne

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • Um, eh, what is a carbine?

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
Late to the game here, but Cara-bean-er is how my peeps pronounce it. Glad I could put the question to rest now. Kthxbye.

Kind of a funny thing: for good many years I've enjoyed the old Combat† show (starring Vic Morrow, Rick Jason, Jack Hogan, Pierre Jalbert, Dick Peabody, and a huge number of guest stars, including Leonard Nimoy and Mickey Rooney). This last Sunday, whilst taking care of firearms maintenance, I put on season one, episode one. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Vic Morrow said "Car-Bean" several times in said show, and I chuckled each time thinking of this thread. :)

It's a "Poarsh" until you own one, and then it's a "Por-sha"

Like mine, y'mean? :cool:

upload_2017-12-12_10-52-53.png

tac

Until it closed in the early 2000's a little place on Interstate Avenue in Portland called the Porsche Performance Center was being run by an older German gentleman. He intoned: "A Porsche is a performance car." His thick, German accent rings in my ears to this very day. (Ferdinand would have been proud of this man).

So, today I had to bring a carbine in for repair. Then I checked Forgotten Weapons and, coincidently, there is a short video on the topic of pronunciation of said word.

I've heard both over the years. Though I've always used "Car-Bean". I don't know why, though I suspect it is because my father pronounced it that way.

So, purely out of idle curiosity, how do you say it?
Either way is acceptable but your pronunciation is most common (no offense...!).

So, today I had to bring a carbine in for repair. Then I checked Forgotten Weapons and, coincidently, there is a short video on the topic of pronunciation of said word.

I've heard both over the years. Though I've always used "Car-Bean". I don't know why, though I suspect it is because my father pronounced it that way.

So, purely out of idle curiosity, how do you say it?

My dad was a Korean War vet and always talked about having carried a M1 Garand or a M1 "Car-bean", so I've always pronounced the word "Carbine" the same way.

Well, guys, I've been thinking about this quite deeply over the last coupla weeks and have finally come to the concludement that those of you who pronouncicate it car-BEEN have got it right.

After all, we say magaZEEN, margerEEN, right?

But hold on there, we also say reFYNE, inCLYNE, conFYNE, right?

I guess that it's a 'where you is at' thing, and I'm going to leave it at that.

Just leaving you with 'Iddly', a mostly peninsular country in the Mediterranean Sea, native home of spageddy.

And orIGanno.

And other 'erbs. :D

tac

My 'manopause' car, as it has been referred to by some whose daily drive might be Ford Fiesta or Toyota hatchback......Thankishly, their puerile jibes sail right over my head - I know who is having more fun.

tac

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top