JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think every one here is tracking. I don't believe 'Round Count" as an accurate number, it's sort of a guessing game. I have seen rifles that truly had two boxes through them,and I have seen some listed as only having a few boxes through them and they in fact had several crates down the tube, so it's on you to look closely at any perspective firearm. A good clean barrel isn't the only thing to look at, There are some that are real barrel burners that have to be looked at more critically, and most times, you have to purchase it first before you can take it to a Smith and have it professionally evaluated, so that's the rub! Best advice is try for the best price you can get and factor in things like a barrel and bushing, and springs plus labor, of with a rifle like an AR, figure in the cost of a new Barrel and bolt parts and springs! Just an example, I have been looking to add a 7 mm mag to my collection, but this a known to be hard on barrels, the ones I had looked at would all be in need of a replacement barrel to the tune of $400 or more! So that "Good Deal" for $600 isn't so good when you need to spend that much more to have a shooter! I ended up picking up a sweet SAKO A7 from a guy I knew to be honest and when he told me the rifle had maybe 180 rounds through it, I knew he was probably right! She sure does shoot nice! Yes, I paid a lot more then I had wanted, but its a SAKO, and it was what the seller advertised it to be!

I guess one of the advantages to building a rifle or pistol vs. buying a ready-to- shoot weapon is buying all the parts you want, assembling them into a firearm that meets your needs and expectations. I was very happy with my first AR-15 build, and expect similar results with AR-15 build no.2- I doubt either will ever be sold. But if ever I decide to part company with them, the buyer will know they were built with all the care and attention to detail I put into the engines I build for customers- I build everything like it's mine. I try to use the best parts possible within the budget set for the build. We all know what the parts cost anyways, so it's really up the buyer and seller to come to an agreed price.

I know a semi-auto sport rifle isn't a classic Detroit V-8 (much easier to build), but I enjoy building both. It's tremendously satisfying to assemble a semi-auto rifle and have it work as it should. I suppose there's a value associated with complete, factory-built rifle, but even those get customized too. As long as the upgrades are quality and the gunsmithing is done properly, I don't see a loss in value.

Geno

I guess one of the advantages to building a rifle or pistol vs. buying a ready-to- shoot weapon is buying all the parts you want, assembling them into a firearm that meets your needs and expectations. I was very happy with my first AR-15 build, and expect similar results with AR-15 build no.2- I doubt either will ever be sold. But if ever I decide to part company with them, the buyer will know they were built with all the care and attention to detail I put into the engines I build for customers- I build everything like it's mine. I try to use the best parts possible within the budget set for the build. We all know what the parts cost anyways, so it's really up the buyer and seller to come to an agreed price.

I know a semi-auto sport rifle isn't a classic Detroit V-8 (much easier to build), but I enjoy building both. It's tremendously satisfying to assemble a semi-auto rifle and have it work as it should. I suppose there's a value associated with complete, factory-built rifle, but even those get customized too. As long as the upgrades are quality and the gunsmithing is done properly, I don't see a loss in value.

Geno
So that's code for you only went second knuckle?

Certaindeaf,
Some people tend to go crazy on their AR builds, but that's not me- I put around $1000-1500 max into my builds because I'm only a recreational shooter, not a LEO or military operator, or competition shooter. But my rifles are also for home defense and SHTF- I view all of that tactical add-on gear as added weight I don't need. A scope, red dot, or bipod is as far as I will go in terms of accessories. Not everyone who builds their own rifles gold plates their BCGs or chromes their receivers.

Geno

I don't put much value in round count. If I've owned a gun only for testing, and I've shot a box or less, that I can remember. If it's made multiple trips to the range or the mountains, then I don't keep any track or memory of how many rounds have been fired. But then, condition continues to be obvious. What else? I see continually on this forum folks profess they refuse to buy used when they can buy brand new for just a little more. If I buy from a trusted and known shooter or collector, and he says the gun functions perfectly, and I can see the condition for myself, I put more value in that, than trusting a brand new gun from a dealer. I've had many more brand-new lemons than "used" lemons.

When I have an item for sale, and receive a public question of "round count?", I lump those inquiries right along with "still available?", or "trades?". I know there are some legitimate exceptions, but mostly it's replies from folks that I really consider to be non-buyers, but it does get their post count up.:)

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Unless you're OCD, I think round count is pure BS. Sure, a box or two is easy to count.
I have a general idea, how many boxes of bullets have I reloaded? Just the other day I tumbled 300 308 Win casings that cycled through my guns.
I've bought enough guns and gear in the last two years where the claimed usage was BS. In each of the sales, the deal was still there, so I followed through.

Unless a rifle appears well worn, I wouldn't be too concerned about round counts either. Given the cost of ammo these days, I doubt many are putting over 1000 rounds through the barrel. And for me, any used rifle purchase should be done at the range- a few rounds at 50 yds. would be more than enough to convince me it shoots straight.

Geno

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads