JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
9mm is a fine round for women and children to shoot.

92031976_2997368096973175_1554599537757126656_n.jpg

It works for me.

At first I wasn't hot on it because it was no where near as popular as 9mm; being a prepper ammo availability and exchange is an important issue for me. But then I got a conversion slide and it occurred to me that if I got anymore SIGs, I should get them in .40 and then get a 9mm conversion barrel. That way I could use the .40 until I ran out of ammo and then convert to 9mm.

As long as I have ammo, .40 is great IMO - hopefully I will never have to use it in anger.

10mm (.40) vs. 9mm holes - the difference going in (initially) is minimal - 1 mm just isn't that much larger. Same with .45 vs .355 (9mm) - a tenth of an inch difference at most - going in.

It is the sectional density, mass and velocity/energy that make the difference with regards to penetration and damage.

The benefit of the .40 is that it does better than .357 SIG or 9mm+P+ with projectiles that have more mass. For any given projectile weight, the .40 S&W has similar sectional density, but higher velocity than the 9x19 and similar to .357 SIG while handling heavier projectiles better (e.g., 180 gr.).

I consider the .40 S&W to be a good compromise between 9mm and .45 ACP. The latter has more recoil and "power" (IMO), but most 9mm pistols have more capacity (I have 20 round extended mags for 9mm in my SIG 226 and 14 round extended mags for my 227 - the former hang down less than half as far as the 227 mags). I don't feel undergunned with 9mm or .40 or .45 - they each have their pros and cons.

Just wondering if there are still fans of the 40 cal out there now that the 9mm seems to have displaced it in popularity?
I really like the round. I carried one at work for almost 25 years. The gun is more snappy but I enjoy the caliber, it's performance, and I still shoot it well. My Wife and daughter can shoot it but definitely prefer a 9mm. I swore I would never buy one. Once I retired though I wanted my wife and kids to shoot more often. I got a Glock 43 and they liked it. With all the talk about 9 mms I then bought them an AR9 pistol and they ask me to go shooting now. They now want a full size Glock 9mm. either a 17, or a 19. That will probably later this year. Getting a 9mm was a win win for me because my wife and kids now want to shoot more often. How can that be bad.

I have a Sig p938 9mm, I like it, I have a Sig p229 dak, 40 sw Love it. I almost have a new kimber custom 2 10mm ( waiting on bgc to clear). Will let everybody know how that one goes.

While our local LEO's don't entertain "gunfights" on a regular basis around these parts, they all carry Glock .40 caliber pistols in the 22 & 23 persuasions. Tasers do get much more use though.
So, are those 40's dead? I'd say they're just napping until requalification day comes around again, while riding around in a holster. For sure, not one of those pistols are anxious to engage in deadly conduct anytime soon. Same as the Glock 23 that I own, very lively when I want it activated. Mine will be with me for as long as I can get out of bed without assistance. ;)

All the kool kids are shooting them. If'n ah coulld still reach the manual safety, it's what Ah'd be shootin in a 2011 double stack!!!

The FBI says:

· 9mm Luger offers higher magazine capacities, less recoil, lower cost (both in ammunition and wear on the weapons) and higher functional reliability rates (in FBI weapons)

· The majority of FBI shooters are both FASTER in shot strings fired and more ACCURATE with shooting a 9mm Luger vs shooting a .40 S&W (similar sized weapons)

· There is little to no noticeable difference in the wound tracks between premium line law Auto enforcement projectiles from 9mm Luger through the .45 Auto

· Given contemporary bullet construction, LEO's can field (with proper bullet selection) 9mm Lugers with all of the terminal performance potential of any other law enforcement pistol caliber with none of the disadvantages present with the "larger" calibers

The Reasons Why FBI Went to Back to 9mm | SOFREP
Seems logical to me and when you're in a gunfight, more rounds is always better.

While our local LEO's don't entertain "gunfights" on a regular basis around these parts, they all carry Glock .40 caliber pistols in the 22 & 23 persuasions. Tasers do get much more use though.
So, are those 40's dead? I'd say they're just napping until requalification day comes around again, while riding around in a holster. For sure, not one of those pistols are anxious to engage in deadly conduct anytime soon. Same as the Glock 23 that I own, very lively when I want it activated. Mine will be with me for as long as I can get out of bed without assistance. ;)
Why give it up then? Mine goes from the holster to under the pillow just fine:p

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads