JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pardon the tangent, but is the Italian lock like the Miquelet lock found on Spanish guns?
Nope...
I have a Wheel lock...and the Miquelet ( I really need to get one...:D )is much like flintlock , only the lock workings are on the outside , instead of inside the lock plate , like on a flintlock.

A wheel lock requires a wrench to turn the lock...and when you pull the trigger the wheel spins , striking the hammer , causing sparks which ignites the powder in the pan.
Actually it it a lot like a ""Bic" lighter in principle.
Andy

Nope...
I have a Wheel lock...and the Miquelet ( I really need to get one...:D )is much like flintlock , only the lock workings are on the outside , instead of inside the lock plate , like on a flintlock.

A wheel lock requires a wrench to turn the lock...and when you pull the trigger the wheel spins , striking the hammer , causing sparks which ignites the powder in the pan.
Actually it it a lot like a ""Bic" lighter in principle.
Andy
So the little doo-dad there is the wrench to turn the wheel? I was wondering what that was for.. didnt even guess close:confused:You could teach classes on this stuff and get paid! Thanks once again for sharing, Andy!

Thanks...
And Yup that is the wrench....they are very often missing from the gun....:eek:

I do on occasion teach this stuff.
Mostly at various rendezvous , museum invites , and even sometimes at my school...:eek: :D
I'd love to get paid....I do leave out a donation jug when I give a display...often earning enough for some powder and ball.
Andy

Ah, I see. Many thanks! :D

Miquelet lock firearms have come up from time to time whilst searching on auction sites. I'm mainly looking for cartridge handguns from the 19th and 20th century, but they do pop up in the search patterns I'm using. So, they appear to be available to some extent. Happy hunting. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews