JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got this nice ruger m77 on a trade but failed to notice this ding on the crown. The ding doesn't actually connect with the rifling. What do you guys think? How bad is it ?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Yep, no way of knowing. The rifle was traded off for a reason? Perhaps time to let a good gunsmith go through it? There might be other faults other than the Crown? Dunno.

Respectfully.

Edited by HB the old coot. Put on my glasses! Wow! Quite a dent. Can you local knowledgeable friendly non expensive, (?) gunsmith run a series of progressive barrel straightness gages down your barrel?

That way you would know if that big wack on the muzzle did some other barrel damage like tweeking it? Also if the bore diameter has been reduced by the ding. This may be beyond your ability to check?

Respectfully.

Last Edited:
Shouldn't affect anything. Looks to be a cosmetic damage if anything.

Shoot it, if the accuracy is bad and the rifling is still strong, then the crown would likely be the cause. But I don't think that'll happen in your case.

Your going to want to get that recrowned. That's taken quite the impact and has displaced allot of metal there. Hard to tell from the photos but it can easily have pushed a few thousandths of metal out of place. Towards the bore. I've seen it many times were they say oh that's fine shoot it. And it's making 6" groups at 100 yards :eek:

For a proper crown it should not cost you more than $75

Get it re-crowned for under $100. That amount of damage is likely to cause some real issues. I had an AR with much less damage than that and it shot 8" groups at 100 yds. I had the barrel shortened an inch or two and re-crowned and it shot great groups.

Last Edited:
Yea, That Rifle likely took a good header and banged the muzzle pretty good, I would certainly have it re-crowned and checked for any other issues! Like Velzey says, the metal can get displaced with a hit like that and at the least, accuracy suffers, and worse, you can actually split the barrel when fired, BIG Problem then! I wouldn't even try shooting it with out first having it checked and crowned!

Your photos now look worse now than I originally thought.

@Velzey can put a nice 11° I think on it. If I remember that's what he put on my Rem700.

Some things I've seen in used guns from a Gun store. Besides the normal stuff.
Bulged barrels, Receivers welded, Cracked bolt lugs, Cracked/split forcing cones, and spliced barrels.

So when I look at a gun to buy.
I ''Look'' at the gun to buy. o_O

Last Edited:
Your going to want to get that recrowned. That's taken quite the impact and has displaced allot of metal there. Hard to tell from the photos but it can easily have pushed a few thousandths of metal out of place. Towards the bore. I've seen it many times were they say oh that's fine shoot it. And it's making 6" groups at 100 yards :eek:

For a proper crown it should not cost you more than $75
I know lots of shooters that can only get a 6" group at 100. Maybe we should re crown them.

Got this nice ruger m77 on a trade but failed to notice this ding on the crown. The ding doesn't actually connect with the rifling. What do you guys think? How bad is it ?

View attachment 374227 View attachment 374228

Squatch, my guess is that is an older tang safety Ruger model 77. I really like these rifles, but be warned, some of them did not have good barrels on them to start with. I'd also suggest shooting it, to see how it groups. It may not shoot real well, even if you do have it re crowned. The best mod to do to the rifle, that is conducive to better accuracy, is to glass bed it and make sure your mag box is not in a bind. Like others have said, your smith can go through the rifle and make sure everything checks out. Minor tweaks like bedding can be done by you or your smith, depending on your abilities. Good luck with it and keep us posted...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top