JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I came across this while searching for a pic of Nelson saying "ha ha!".

I knew of this wall and have thought of variations on it, I just didn't know it was called the "ha ha" wall.

What is a "ha ha wall"?

Ha-ha - Wikipedia

Ha_ha_wall_diagram.jpg

This kind of wall has benefits if you build it high enough and/or dig the ditch low enough.

The variation I would use would be one where it isn't used to have that much of a view beyond it. I would build it such that on the home facing side, there would be some cover from an "invader" while not obstructing the view - i.e., enough height on the home side such that a person could lay prone and have cover while a standing person could still easily see over the wall.

The problem with walls is that they often give cover to a person on both sides, but there are ways to build the wall such that it minimizes that problem, especially if defenders are on the inside of the wall.

As show in the last drawing above, if the ditch on the outside of the wall were deep enough, they could not stand in the ditch and use the wall for cover. The outside of the wall could be covered with briars and other features to discourage an invader from climbing the wall.

When I was a kid I lived on the family farm (sold about ten years ago).

At that time one of the houses on the farm was situated on a corner with a stop sign (the road has since been re-routed).

Several times a month someone would decide they would drive across our lawn to cut the corner - usually late at night. It left big ruts in the lawn.

My uncle got some 2x12s, and drove huge nails through the boards, and painted them green, then put the boards out on the lawn.

Usually on weekends, there would be at least one car a ways down the road with one or more flat tires.

Eventually we planted trees and shrubs such that they would damage a car that drove across our lawn. Today the corner is gone, replaced by a roundabout, but the powers that be would look with disapproval on putting out stakes in a ditch or moat and it would invite a lawsuit.

Before you fill the moat with water, don't forget the landscaping...

View attachment 343803

These worked for the VC. Those can be installed along the International Border wall/fence both inexpensively and easily.

Remember: We give up 3 feet of ground so that when we built the current boundary fence so that when we maintain it we do not violate the territorial sovereignty of the Mexican Republic. We are quite careful not to do so. It is too bad they are neither as careful, nor as circumspect about violating ours.

Last Edited:
We give up 3 feet of ground so that when we built the current boundary fence so that when we maintain it we do not violate the sovereign rights of the Mexican Republic. We are quite careful not to do so. It is too bad they are neither as careful, nor as circumspect about violating ours.
We should make the wall at least 30 ft back. 25 ft across for the moat.

Thomas Jefferson built something similar at Monticello, but for a completely different purpose.
He didn't want to see his slaves come and go from the fields while he enjoyed his view from his patio.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews