JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Few bits: If your house is a 1991, chances are good the only thing you should check on is if your house is bolted to the foundation. I'm fairly sure it is, but it's cheap to check. If you have a conventional slab construction (which is more common in CA) you definitely have a bolted foundation.

Stick framed houses ride out earthquakes pretty well, you will get cracks in the walls, and if you have tile and concrete floors it's also likely, but the house otherwise won't suffer much damage. This may change if your absurdly large ammo collection is on the second floor.

If you're in a liquefaction zone... well none of this matters, unless you drive piles down to bedrock, which is pretty pointless at this point. There should be maps available that tell you if you're in this zone.

I grew up in EQ country, I rode out pretty much every major EQ in socal from 1980-2010 in the same house. The tile cracked, and we got a few cracks in the ceiling, my grandparents live out near where the landers quake was, and did not suffer any damage really, other than some fallen items, and a few feet of water sloshed out of the swimming pool.

The real damage with earthquakes is to infrastructure and large buildings. Provided a large building doesn't fall on your house, or that freeway overpass that goes over your house, you're probably going to be OK, even if it royally screws up transportation, power distribution, and the economy.

earthquake map.gif

Found this on the USGS site. Pretty good indication of where the damage will be, since most of the west side of the Cascades is built on outflow losesses from the Missoula Floods 15,000 years ago. Google Earth gives you a very good picture of this as well. If they had had Google Earth when I was in college, we could have spent less time in soil pits from Portland to Burns to Brookings to Spokane, and hiking mountains all over the Northwest, although that was a lot of fun really. Might have been the coed classes and camping trips involved.

One other resource I forgot to mention in post 15 is: Reducing the Risks of Nonstructural Earthquake Damage—A Practical Guide, Fourth Edition

The guide can be downloaded in Adobe PDF or a free CD-ROM can be requested. As the title implies, it covers nonstructural components like plumbing systems, electrical, furniture, fixtures, air conditioning systems, computer equipment, et al., how they are damaged by seismic activity, and steps that can be taken to reduce the risk.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass it along. Cheers.

One other resource I forgot to mention in post 15 is: Reducing the Risks of Nonstructural Earthquake Damage—A Practical Guide, Fourth Edition

The guide can be downloaded in Adobe PDF or a free CD-ROM can be requested. As the title implies, it covers nonstructural components like plumbing systems, electrical, furniture, fixtures, air conditioning systems, computer equipment, et al., how they are damaged by seismic activity, and steps that can be taken to reduce the risk.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass it along. Cheers.

Thanks countrygent. I think a lot of things will get damaged just from falling debris. If you can minimalize it you will be better off.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top