JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a xd45 for my carry piece. I really like it. But I want something with better capacity for home defense/cold weather ccw. I really like how slim it is being single stack. Even though a 1911 is only 2/3 rounds more. If you're talking extra magazines, it starts to make a difference.

What do you guys (and gals) think about have guns with different operation in roles like these? (One being striker fired, and the other hammer with a safety)

OR are there other single stack 45's out there in not coming up with?

I like shooting 45 more. I'm not looking for 15 round magazines or anything. I'd be happy with 8 to 10 round magazines. I want to stick to a minimum of calibers.

I'm more interested in opinions of have separate defensive guns that operate differently.

The M&P 9 Shield is very compact I know you are looking at 45 but its slim and small but not to small for man hands. It runs right around Mid 450.00 give or take .

m more interested in opinions of have separate defensive guns that operate differently.

I do not use the safety on guns that have it so I don't have to remember if it's on safe or not - I treat all my CC's the same.

I also grew up with the 1911 type safety so it wouldn't be a massive issue but would still trip me up if I pulled it and it was shifted into safe.

Really boils down to how much time you are willing and able to spend knowing both guns.
If you have to think about how to use them when some big dude is coming at you with a crowbar when your half asleep you have lost the game.
There is no substitute for repetition and without it no muscle memory.

The rest of what I own have switchable safeties except for my xds. And they haven't been giving me issues. But I just wanted to hear some other opinions.

The Glock 21SF has 13 rounds and is only 1.27" wide. The M&P45 has 10 rounds and is 1.19-1.32" depending on which palm swell you use. The Ruger SR45 has 10 rounds and has a grip thickness of 1.18". Most 1911's are 7-8 round magazines with 1.25 to 1.35 grip width. All a good options for full size pistols. The 1911's, Glock's and M&P's will have the most aftermarket options available, in that order. The Ruger will be the least expensive.

Single stack .45's, hrmmm. If it has to be a single stack .45 your going to get stuck at the 10 round mark. Double stack tend to end up right around 13 rounds, I do like the XD Mod2 45 for conceal carry. I use a neomag to carry the doublestack extended magazine in my pocket. Yes, double stack 45 spare magazine are difficult to carry imho.

9mm is no slouch, if you want to increase capacity, check out a 9mm.

As for manual safety vs no manual safety - I used to be against manual safety. However, if you practice sweeping the safety off while drawing, it wont be an issue.
Besides, if you always sweep the safety off - even on those pistols that don't have a safety... it doesn't matter which design you use because you will have taught yourself to always sweep the safety off even if there is none.

My 2 cents, donate any left over change. ;)

I use an H&K USP, (.45 ACP, hammer-fired) when I am at home. I've had this gun since 1995. I'm very familiar with it. It shoots great. But it is too big for concealed carry. So, when I'm carrying away from home I use a S&W Shield (small, thin, 9mm, striker-fired). Works great for CC. I need to practice with this gun a lot more than with the HK. But I'm confident that I would use it effectively if needed.

I'm a Diehard 1911 dude! So I come at this question with a strong bias. I do like the S/W Shield over most Glocks as they are smaller and less squarish in a holster. I love my G20 mk1 But I still carry a full size double stack 1911 each and every day! I don't like any fighting pistol that can switch between modes, and I don't really care for pistols that have no external safety. There is no really firm answer here, as said, it needs to be played with a lot before you can decide what fits YOUR needs best! If I have to think about my carry rig, even for a split second, its the wrong rig for me. If I have to think about which mode I have it set to, or what the safety is/ whatit is, its not the gun for me! A 1911 is the easiest with (series 80) three safeties to work with, I can carry loaded chamber, thumb safety off, and hammer cocked, and still have one of the three in use. I usually always have the thumb safety set as extra protection, but can easily flick it off with out drawing! I would look for a pistol that makes things as easy for you as it can, I know the XD is well regarded, And I sort of like the HK's but its YOUR choice, choose wisely friend!

10 rounds is plenty. I kind of like the ppq in 45. Flocks and full size xd's are too square for what I want. My other options would be a sign of some kind, 1911, or maybe an hk45. It's a tad on the large side, but I like the magazine release. I want to shoot one before I cross it off my list. My only other thing to figure out is of 8 rounds is enough.

Basically, I really WANT a 1911, but I'm on the fence whether or not my other options are better options.

10 rounds is plenty. I kind of like the ppq in 45. Flocks and full size xd's are too square for what I want. My other options would be a sign of some kind, 1911, or maybe an hk45. It's a tad on the large side, but I like the magazine release. I want to shoot one before I cross it off my list. My only other thing to figure out is of 8 rounds is enough.

Basically, I really WANT a 1911, but I'm on the fence whether or not my other options are better options.

Capacity can be worked around by practicing your mag replacement with drills. By the time you need to reload, you should be behind cover anyway. People normally don't just stand in one place when being shot at.

Give any of the internal extractor 1911 round butts a long and loving look! 8+1 or 9+1 with extended mag is a pretty good load out! I have never felt the "low Capacity" of a 1911 to be a hindrance, But I do carry a double stack, 17+1 10 mm, because I can!

I've got the Israeli made IMI Jericho 941 (polymer) with 17 round mags loaded with HPR hollow points. It's a full size 9mm. I love this pistol. I changed out the white dot sights with Meprolight Tru-/dot sure shots (Tritium sights also made in Israel for the Jericho). It was a police turn in before being imported to the U.S. Got it for under $400.00. I'm normally a Sig Gal, but the performance on this pistol is great.

I'm all glock, all day, every day, but my ppq is my favorite.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top