JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Unfortunately it doesn't leave me with much that I like shooting unless I change calibers (which I don't want to right now)

10 would still double my current magazines on my xds. So that's sort of the minimum I'm leaning towards.

I thought the XDs you could buy extended magazines that give the grip a full size?

45 is a really capacity limiting round. Im in the same boat as you, if I had to invest all over again I would only buy 9mm.

I would say if you can double your capacity in the same cartridge it would be worth it.

Consider a Sig P320. they are modular design and you can swap calibers and/or frame sizes on one serialized receiver frame without buying another FFL gun. You can have a compact carry gun then swap the slide for full size when you need.

They do have 7 round magazines. But it doesn't carryou nearly as well. And I don't shoot the gun nearly as well with them. Something about having my pinky on the grip.
And the magazine extension thingy pinched the bubblegum out of my finger when I tried slapping in a mag quickly.

Capacity is almost an issue. I like how how the round shoots more than 9mm. Single stack mags hide away easy which is why I want to stick with them if I can.

Just not sure if I want my carry gun to be striker fired, then have my home gun be hammer fired since I'd have a high chance of coming out of sleep to use that one.

They do have 7 round magazines. But it doesn't carryou nearly as well. And I don't shoot the gun nearly as well with them. Something about having my pinky on the grip.
And the magazine extension thingy pinched the bubblegum out of my finger when I tried slapping in a mag quickly.

Capacity is almost an issue. I like how how the round shoots more than 9mm. Single stack mags hide away easy which is why I want to stick with them if I can.

Just not sure if I want my carry gun to be striker fired, then have my home gun be hammer fired since I'd have a high chance of coming out of sleep to use that one.

yup I hear ya. I like the way 45 shoots better than 9... on the receiving end it doesn't matter. Despite my preference it I had to buy a new gun it would be a 9... for capacity in any size frame

for what its worth one more opinion... I dont think 6 rds is all that limiting in a super small compact gun, especially come summer. Its really not practical at all to carry anything full size. Mid compacts can be a good compromise though but nothing goes anywhere like a super compact single stack.

You are in your home... Carry anything you want.... I prefer the AR-15 with a filtered IR flashlight that can only be seen with night vision devices for hunting wabbits... ;)

The rule of thumb is: Carry the same gun, in the same holster, in the same place every time.

Switching weapons systems that have different safeties, trigger resets and magazine capacities and attempting to keep it all straight in the confusion and chaos of a lethal force encounter is a recipe for disaster.

I make no secret that I like Glock. They have the benefit of the same operating system, regardless of size; and they share the same magazines in the same caliber. G17 Mags will fit G26 (handy in a gunfight if your back up is a G26). No matter which Glock I pick up; they will all function identically.

So, if you have a Glock, carry a smaller or bigger Glock. If you have 1911, carry a smaller or larger 1911. If you have an XD, get a larger or smaller XD.

I think you get the idea.

.45 does limit you some what, but if you can find a practical way that worked for YOU, to carry extra mags, its really the better round IMO. Just add a mag change to your training (which you really should do any way) and your good to go! Practice, Practice, and Practice some more! Dave is correct, having multi fighting pistols makes it harder to "switch" between them when time is against you, Which system is ridding my holster? not a good thing to be thinking of when SHTF. I do carry a back up piece, bu I train relentlessly with both fighting pistols so I can transition from one to the other with out thought! It helps that they have controls that are close to being the same!

6 shots in the xds is plenty for carrying. I just want something for at home/thick clothing carry/range gun.

I like the idea of same system. But I don't like the full size xds pistols.

The main reason I was thinking 1911, is yes it's only 8 rounds, but I could leave it loaded with the safety off. Being that it hashould a grip safety.
Otherwise it's gonna be a sign p220/227, ppq45, hk45, or 1911.
They all meet capacity requirement. (Not so much the 1911) and only the ppq fit being striker fired

My concealed is the Sig P938 with extended mag. Holds 7+1 in 9mm and has a thumb safety. Came with night sites. Great little piece. I also have it's little sister, the P238. Almost the same pistol in .380 acp. Both fit nicely in IWB or pocket holsters.

HD=12 Gauge
870 Express 3 in mag
#4 buckshot
Light system.

Medicine for critters including grizzly bears.

If you really want to get serious. research "waxers".

Shotgun wouldn't work very well in my house. Old home with narrow halls. To me, personally, a handgun is the way to go. Presentation of one would be much quicker.

With shotguns you don't go looking, just post up, sit and wait. Handguns are just too inaccurate and then you might wound them and get sued. When discharging weaponry inside the home, instant death of the intruder is the goal and nothing beats a shotgun.

I understand what your saying. But I'd need to go to my daughters room, which isn't far away. The length of a Shotgun (that's not an sbr) is too unwieldy for that.

I am a 1911 fan. I have competed for many years with the 1911 in 45.
That being said I prefer a striker fired pistol for carry and home defense.
I love my M & P 45 compact. I use the 10 round full size mag
with spacer or the 8 round mag for carry. You can get it with
or without the thump safety. I also carry a 9 mm shield.
I like the ergonomics and accuracy of the M & P. And with the Apex
sear installed it is a fantastic trigger.:p:D

I understand what your saying. But I'd need to go to my daughters room, which isn't far away. The length of a Shotgun (that's not an sbr) is too unwieldy for that.

ser_shorty_big.jpg

Sbr shotgun with no stock... I'll bet you that gun that 9 times out of ten I'll hit exactly what I am aiming at with my 6 shot revolver faster then you can empty that 3+1 shoty on target.

No offense meant to all you pistol grip shotgun people, but in the suburbs I want a scalpel and not a spray and pray gun.

In all my years shooting guns and being the guy in 6th grade with a subscription to Guns & Ammo, I have yet to find a good reason (other then concealing it for illegal carry) to NOT have a stock on a shotgun. It pretty much negates any accuracy it had to begin with.

That's just my opinion and personal experience/knowledge. Maybe I just never learned how to properly shoot a pistol grip shoty but I doubt it;).

HD=12 Gauge
870 Express 3 in mag
#4 buckshot
Light system.

Medicine for critters including grizzly bears.

If you really want to get serious. research "waxers".

Wax cut shot is deadly and will not over penetrate but I believe you would get into possibly a lot of legal issues using a modified round to protect yourself like that - which is too bad because those things rock in cooler climates:cool:

With shotguns you don't go looking, just post up, sit and wait. Handguns are just too inaccurate and then you might wound them and get sued. When discharging weaponry inside the home, instant death of the intruder is the goal and nothing beats a shotgun.

I agree that posting up is the best plan if your able to do so. My wife will be hunkered down behind an oak waterbed with a shotgun (full length) and waiting for me to give the all clear or shooting the first thing that moves down the hall and into line of sight.

The handgun thing isn't a debate worth having - some people can shoot really well and others can't, you gotta do what works for you.

I agree that dead men tell no tales but the goal is always just to stop the immediate threat to the family. I personally would not post that death is my ultimate goal in case I get burgled and the family sues me in civil court because of my comments - just something to think about.

Anything in your house, be it an intruder, bear, or rabid rat that is uninvited is known in the court system as open season no matter what I post. And again, it is way better to end it quickly then to have some wounded animal tearing things up. To worry about being sued from the dead perps family.. nada.. it has happened but very seldom and only on blatant back-shots as they were running down the drive. Again, if there is someone/thing in my house in the middle of the night at way past dark/30, it is going to be dead as soon as the lights and sights rest upon it.

Waxers made from melted crayons.. no temp worries.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top