JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not overly worried about being sue'ed but I'm not going to modify rounds when there are plenty that do a good job already nor state that I will kill anything in my house after dark.

I'll sure as hell shoot them though and let God and the paramedics determine the outcome. With 6 big holes in them though, I'm not sure there will be much to save - but that's not my call.;)

I'm not overly worried about being sue'ed but I'm not going to modify rounds when there are plenty that do a good job already nor state that I will kill anything in my house after dark.

I'll sure as hell shoot them though and let God and the paramedics determine the outcome. With 6 big holes in them though, I'm not sure there will be much to save - but that's not my call.;)
The waxers are for big bears and what not, but if you pump 6 rounds from a revolver or empty a 14 round mag into someone you might be in for some explaining. But, the courts will have no say when you put 41- 22 rounds in a perp from a single 3 in mag blast.. "Yes you honor I only shot him/it/them once.."

I have almost no experience with shotguns. So that's not an option at this point.
I have an ar15 but it's not nearly as accessible as my handgun is.
I am very comfortable with handguns. So that's why my home defense gun is one.

If I have to stop someone. I'm not too worried about how many shots I would take. Placement and not shooting someone in the back is what's important to me if I can help it.

Being said. If I cant hit someone in my hallway. It wasn't meant to be.

Something to point out on the ScatterGun for home use, I prefer a full length stock of polymer or very hard and heavy wood. With that, it works as a battering ram, can be swung, can be used to physically force on contact and can pry. Shooting it makes a hell of a mess to be cleaned up later, if you don't have to shoot, it gives you options. It can have a light mounted and used to "clear" a threat with out being fired. Add in a short Bayonet and you have a very versatile tool for ending things. Think of it as superior fire power to any of the handguns. Also note, a shotgun at the shoulder in the low ready position is actually a bit shorter then an arm fully extended holding a pistol! Use that light, keeping it pointed toward the floor and you preserve your night vision, while confusing/dazzling your invader.

My nightstand gun is a 1911 45 with laser grips. but if something makes me get out of bed, it is getting the shotgun treatment described above that is leaning in the corner.

For now I use my Tavor as HD, hard to beat the compact size plus 30 rounds of m193. Hopefully though it will turn into this by the end of the year

479_683_ad103619-hk-hk45-outbreak%20ordnance%20-%20sop9-%20key%20west-%20miami-silencer.jpg :)

Opinions=belly buttons. :)

A couple of thoughts here. I own a great Colt 5" Gov't model .45. It didn't start out being great. It took about $1,000 more and an expert gunsmith's help to get it to run perfectly and reliably.

When I see people suffer stoppages and other problems at the range, a LOT of the time it's a 1911 causing the trouble. It's one of the few guns that have a lot of non-standard parts available for it, and some of the 1911's aren't made very well. Whatever the reason, the 1911 has a lot of potential to cost you time and money to get running right. On the other hand, you can get lucky!

A friend of mine has a stock Ruger SR1911, and that one came out of the box running perfectly -and has given me the tightest group of any .45 I ever shot.

On the other-other hand most Glocks come out of the box running almost perfectly, and after about 400 rounds they are broken in and run perfectly every time. There's a lot to be said for this, because a gunfight is not a beauty contest, and guns are not "bling".

Another thing about Glocks is that it takes only a couple tweaks to get them to fit (Hogue grip sleeve) or shoot better (polish the parts and maybe a 3.5 lb disconnector) and if you lose your G21 to the evidence room today, you can have one that runs just like it tomorrow.

Finally, how many times can you destroy an attackers vital organs? If 7 rounds of .45 ain't gonna get it done, a fast exit out of the nearest window or door might be a good fall-back plan. And without getting too much into the age-old debate about calibers, Newton's third law of motion, equal-and-opposite reaction applies in guns, too. If it recoils harder, it is also hitting them harder, too. You can bet on it.

I wouldn't worry too much about grabbing a 1911 off the headboard at night or drawing a G21 from a belt holster in the day. If you keep the same weapon at the bed all the time, your subconscious will remember which one it is, and how to run it. Shot placement is going to win the day. Remember, slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Hit what you're aiming at and the rest will take care of itself.

Limp wristing is probably the biggest problem with stoppages of 1911s. That being said, I have put enough rounds through my Springer to trust it come crunch time. Cocked and locked insures the first one is going out the barrel if nothing else and that is how the ole girl sits right next to the bed.

Never had a 1911 that didn't run! Currently have 12 of them, and with out question, every one of them run as John Browning intended. They do need care and proper feeding, and the big one, When you choose a 1911, make sure you choose a brand that is known for building good ones! Like a fine watch or a Mercedes Benz, you do your part, it will do its! The 1911 is a step up from many of the others in quality and reliability. The only difference is YOU have to invest in time and a little effort to ensure proper function! It's just the way of things with them. Not saying others are not any good, but a proper running 1911 will work as well as any other and do so for a long time! When you start messing with them and don't know what you are doing and how those changes effect the pistol, you open your self up to all sorts of head aches! If you take your time, find out what makes them work and how every thing is supposed to fit, you can turn any 1911 into a fine piece of fighting gun that will work every single time! I know this well, I have taken one of my 1911's through 4 hard shooting classes and a few pistol comps and it has never farted or hiccuped or caused any problems of any kind! Lucky, NO!!!

.45 does limit you some what, but if you can find a practical way that worked for YOU, to carry extra mags, its really the better round IMO. Just add a mag change to your training (which you really should do any way) and your good to go! Practice, Practice, and Practice some more! Dave is correct, having multi fighting pistols makes it harder to "switch" between them when time is against you, Which system is ridding my holster? not a good thing to be thinking of when SHTF. I do carry a back up piece, bu I train relentlessly with both fighting pistols so I can transition from one to the other with out thought! It helps that they have controls that are close to being the same!

Glock is also the only gun/system I use for defense. I could have chosen any number of great systems. Like the 1911 or Sig DA guns.
But just picking one and sticking with it. May be the best advantage you could give yourself.

You can be faster when you carry the same gun system/controls. In the same holster. On the same place on your body.

Or the same gun in the same place next to your bed.
I put mine there every night. And I put it on every morning. So grabbing it from it's location is reflex.

I make it so simple a half drunk Caveman could do it [And may need to]. After just waking from a deep sleep. :eek:

You can let ''Muscle memory'' work for you. Or against you?
Make no mistake. When the adrenaline is flowing. You will react somehow!
Will you try and fumble your way through it? Pausing to think things out.

Or just reach where your gun always is. Produce it and fire.
Without a thought beyond ''I need to shoot THIS with my gun''.

The old saying is ''Beware of the man with only one gun''. ;)

Not ''Beware of the man that likes to rotate his collection of handguns with different controls. Some days appendix carry. Some days in a IWB at 4-5 o'clock. And with occasional carry of a revolver in his right front pocket''. :s0002:

Correct! Less movement is always better, low ready is the best with any platform you use! getting down low, crabbing sideways a bit makes you harder to see and harder to hit. Many cant do that, but if you can, you should! Move slow but with purpose, and make any movements as fluid as you can! The less you move your arms, the better you can bring the fight and you will find you are a lot faster! Practice as much as you can!

My primary pistol is the one I carry and use each and every time. Its my CC unit, its my night stand unit, its my car unit, and every other unit! I rarely ever switch my prime carry piece, and if I do, its a smaller, but other wise identical version of the same platform! The back up is just that, and is only a additional option or a last ditch tool when things go really south of sideways!

I'm swaying towards the ppq. 12 rounds in a slim 45 sounds attractive. It fits my hand well. I don't like the full size glock and xd.

Sure it's a different gun, but they operate so similarly. If I knew for a fact hk was gonna make a VP45 I'd think about waiting. But you never know with them.

Never had a 1911 that didn't run! Currently have 12 of them, and with out question, every one of them run as John Browning intended. They do need care and proper feeding, and the big one, When you choose a 1911, make sure you choose a brand that is known for building good ones! Like a fine watch or a Mercedes Benz, you do your part, it will do its! The 1911 is a step up from many of the others in quality and reliability. The only difference is YOU have to invest in time and a little effort to ensure proper function! It's just the way of things with them. Not saying others are not any good, but a proper running 1911 will work as well as any other and do so for a long time! When you start messing with them and don't know what you are doing and how those changes effect the pistol, you open your self up to all sorts of head aches! If you take your time, find out what makes them work and how every thing is supposed to fit, you can turn any 1911 into a fine piece of fighting gun that will work every single time! I know this well, I have taken one of my 1911's through 4 hard shooting classes and a few pistol comps and it has never farted or hiccuped or caused any problems of any kind! Lucky, NO!!!

I currently have 4 myself. The only issue I've ever had was when the guide rod fell out of the spring during reassembly. Even without it, the gun still fired well, if not perfect. The guide rod was then properly installed and I've never had another issue with any of my Sig 1911's.

Last Edited:
I'm not going to say a 1911 is the be all end all of the fighting gun! Not by any stretch of the imagination would I even think that. Every one of us are different, and what works for me, may not for others. I know many that choose a different platform and all have very good reasons to choose them and should feel no obligation to explain there choice. I only offer ONE opinion of many, and its just that, my opinion!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top