JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never owned one myself. They just feel real cheap to me, but was just poking fun at what is normally thought of them.
Ah, ok. Sorry if it seemed like I was grilling you. I've been in a few hi-point threads and they can become real hostle.
To be honest, your comments are not all that uncommon.

Dean

Hi Point slides are made of ZAMAK-3 which is a cast zinc alloy of the type commonly referred to as "pot metal". So no, not being liberal, just factual.
Almost.
ZAMAK-3 is a Zinc Alloy. Actually, there's more Aluminum in it than anything else.
The nice thing about Zinc is that it has great lubricating qualities. It's what sets "Diesel" motor oils apart from other motor oils on the market.

According to Dynacast.com...

"Zamak 3 (ASTM AG40A), or Zinc Alloy 3, is the most widely used zinc alloy in North America and is usually the first choice when considering zinc for die casting for a number of reasons.

• Excellent balance of desirable physical and mechanical properties
  • Superb castability and long-term dimensional stability
  • Excellent finishing characteristics for plating, painting, and chromate treatments
  • Excellent damping capacity and vibration attenuation in comparison to aluminum die cast alloys

When it comes to die casting, Zamak 3 is the standard by which other zinc alloys are rated."

Dean

Never carry anything you might use in a self defense event, unless you are prepared to see it rust away in a police evidence locker and likely not be returned for at least 2 to 4 years.
Oh, and be prepared for the cops to also confiscate any gun owned by your wife or girl friend if you are arrested.

Ah, ok. Sorry if it seemed like I was grilling you. I've been in a few hi-point threads and they can become real hostle.
To be honest, your comments are not all that uncommon.

Dean
Meh, I'm sure they work but I can't get past how uncomfortable they feel for me. That aftermarket bullpup stock might make me consider a hi point carbine in the future but that's about it tbh.

I carry a Glock 26 but briefly carried a Taurus 111 which shot better and more accurately than my full size S&W. Ended up giving the Taurus to one of my daughters for a purse gun. She says she doesn't care if her attacker disses her gun as long as it goes bang every time she pulls the trigger. Can't argue with that.

I had 2 handguns in 9mm in a row. 1st one after one mag it started to fail while chambering next round, had bought an extra 3 mags and they each had failed in one way or another feeding. Took gun back to dealer (which is a gun smith) and the gun and mags failed! so they exchanged it and the replacement did the same thing(s). Sent the gun to Hi-Point for service, They sent it back saying there was no problems found. I tried shooting it again, it would fire but would jam up atleast twice per mag. Not dependable so I got rid of the gun. Four years later (wife bought a carbine 40 for Christmas) well had to wait a couple of weeks for the snow and ice to break up some, I tried to take it to the range but it would not feed a round at all, and it would take the following round and push it into a jam within the mag. I never got the chance to fire it so I returned it to the store and it failed on them and never operated for them either, so they were going to trade it out for the other 40 carbine but we both found it also would not work at all. They gave me my money back and I picked up a AR.
I think Hi-Point works for most, but I carry every day and most nights - I Have to have something on me I can trust! For me Hi-Point is not a make I would put my life or my families lives at risk.

Meh, I'm sure they work but I can't get past how uncomfortable they feel for me. That aftermarket bullpup stock might make me consider a hi point carbine in the future but that's about it tbh.
That's legit, and I feel your pain.
I hated the first Glock I ever held because the double stack mag made the grip so wide it was just felt too weird.
I also had a nice little 20 ga. SxS for years. Shot like it was a part of me, but it carried like a 6 lb. 4x4 in the field. Eventually I sold it because all it did for most of the time I had it was take up space in the gun case.

Dean

Never carry anything you might use in a self defense event, unless you are prepared to see it rust away in a police evidence locker and likely not be returned for at least 2 to 4 years.
Oh, and be prepared for the cops to also confiscate any gun owned by your wife or girl friend if you are arrested.

If I have to use it to save my life I would have no problem with it not coming back for a while. The gun did what it was supposed to do.

Regardless of your feelings for the products.. you have to admit there are practically no other company willing to put this much work in refurbishing and replacing a whole carbine for the cost of shipping :eek: so to sum up, the man bought this 995 carbine for $30 bucks then sent it to Hi Point after calling them for 18.05 shipping; and here he ends up with a like-new carbine for the grand total of $48.05 :cool: what is most impressive is that the company said go ahead and send it in. Funny note says no cutting or modifying the original stock; these classic stocks are apparently harder to come by than the later TS stocks.
$48.05 hi point 9mm carbine

Regardless of your feelings for the products.. you have to admit there are practically no other company willing to put this much work in refurbishing and replacing a whole carbine for the cost of shipping :eek: so to sum up, the man bought this 995 carbine for $30 bucks then sent it to Hi Point after calling them for 18.05 shipping; and here he ends up with a like-new carbine for the grand total of $48.05 :cool: what is most impressive is that the company said go ahead and send it in. Funny note says no cutting or modifying the original stock; these classic stocks are apparently harder to come by than the later TS stocks.
$48.05 hi point 9mm carbine

That is the story of everything it seems. That was one of the "downsides" to the little carbines when they first got going. They quickly picked up the nick name "Ugly stick". Many of us who had been around a while immediately thought of the original Planet of the apes. So of course soon after market stocks hit. So of course as soon as the company started making the rifle with a nicer stock the old "ugly" one becomes "classic" and in demand. Seems just like a gun that does not sell until they stop making it. Then it becomes "in demand". :cool:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top