JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Never owned one so open to general discussion and advice but one question I have is there a brand thats more common with holster makers?

Right now Im looking in the $150 and under range and considering the Inforce Wild 1 or the Streamlight TLR-7a Im seeing both on sale and welcome opinions on those two.

Surefire x300 is my go to. A ton of holster companies accommodate that light. The stream lights are pretty common too.

With that being said streamlight also has great customer service. I have broke 2 TLR-1s and they sent me the replacement parts free of charge. After those two failures I swapped over to surefire and haven't looked back. I'm still running the original one I bought years ago.

After those two failures I swapped over to surefire and haven't looked back.
The Surefires are a bit out of my budget though. Im even still on the fence if I even need a WML and just want a good affordable one to try out. I dont think I would be terribly abusive on it and if after learning to use one Im convinced they are enough of an advantage with handheld techniques then I would certainly step up to a Surefire.

Maybe go about it the other way around, find a holster you like, see which lites they accommodate and then see if that light fits your needs/budget
yes, very good idea. I have found one holster maker that lists the two options Im looking at so thats a good start. I need to keep looking....

The Surefires are a bit out of my budget though. Im even still on the fence if I even need a WML and just want a good affordable one to try out. I dont think I would be terribly abusive on it and if after learning to use one Im convinced they are enough of an advantage with handheld techniques then I would certainly step up to a Surefire.
My daily carry has a x300 on it and I carry a handheld in my pocket. A streamlight isn't a bad route to go for your first light. My handheld is a streamlight and it's still kickin' after years of abuse.

I have few Streamlight TLR-1s on my pistols and I was able to buy holsters that can accommodate these lights. My choice typically with warmer weather on the way is an IWB holster and I have a Fenix LD12 light that uses one AA battery. I do carry spare batteries in my get home bag and I also have a cheap LED light as a backup.

I have few Streamlight TLR-1s on my pistols and I was able to buy holsters that can accommodate these lights.
I feel like holsters shouldnt be an issue with any of the streamlights, the other choice I am looking at Im not as confident but it seems popular enough.
At this point it seems like there are more suggestions for the Streamlight, so Im favoring that one.

I feel like holsters shouldnt be an issue with any of the streamlights, the other choice I am looking at Im not as confident but it seems popular enough.
At this point it seems like there are more suggestions for the Streamlight, so Im favoring that one.
If you can find them for the TLR-1, you can find them for the X300. I own both and prefer my X300s.

20220521_174849.jpg 20220521_174855.jpg

My first actual handgun mounted light. Holster won't matter to me, as this all steel monster would require a double axle trailer for any carry situation. So far it seems pretty legit . Light was $250ish?? on the secondary market.

Just my thoughts and everyone has different tastes so, take it as you will. Personally, I don't see a need for a WML on an EDC unless you are out and about a lot during dark hours. On a bedside, home defense firearm, absolutely! Since I'm usually home by dark when I go out, I just carry my little Streamlite and as you can see, it's smaller than my EDC Spyderco PM2.

thumbnail_IMG_0560.jpg

One on the gun and one in the pocket. I actually use a handheld a lot and I obviously can't pull my gun out to search for something I dropped at night. Haha. It's frowned upon.

9572DD82-A4AF-4672-8FBA-1655DAD0013F.jpeg

If the finger is outside of the trigger housing, folks just need to lighten up right?!🤣🤣🤣

See what I did there?:D
Oh they can all get "lit" up. Haha. But the average person doesn't take too kindly to looking down the barrel of a gun. Haha. Although the light is so dang bright that you'd be seeing stars/disorientated still by the time the gun was reholstered and the carrier was on their way. Haha.

Lights are a great defensive tool in many ways. Whether in a hand or on a gun. Situation dictates.

Having actually used WMLs for duty use on a daily basis, as well as having gone through a butt-ton of sometimes pretty physically intensive training (tac team) with WMLs, I have some thoughts. First, whatever light you get is not indestructable. Lights break, and break often.

My last employer issued the Streamlight TLR-1, later the TLR-1HL. It's a great light, and we never had many problems with them.. I've also got a couple personally-owned Surefire X-300 Ultras, but they cost considerably more than the Streamlight and frankly, while many consider the Surefires the gold standard, they don't do anything my Streamlights haven't. I was blown off by Surefire customer service when an almost brandnew light inexplicably stopped working, but Streamlight replaced -- at no cost to me and no shipping either way -- one of their lights that I actually broke.

For our handheld lights, we were formerly issued Surefire E2s and G2s, but later went to the Streamlight Pro-Tacs, which not only were less expensive, they worked better (at least in my, and some of the guys I worked with, experiences).

I did work with some guys who fell in love with O-Lights, as they make a really powerful light and one of the best rechargable.

I've also got a couple Fenix lights that I feel are the equal of any Surefire I've ever owned.

is there a brand thats more common with holster makers?
Safariland, Blackhawk, Galco, DeSantis, Don Hume make the same holsters for both the Streamlights and the Surefires.

Really, there's so many good lights out there now, it should just come down to your budget and whichever light you fall in love with first.

The concept of a private citizen using a WML is best addressed in another thread. I would say only, if you're gonna mount a WML, carry a hand-held light as well -- Rule 2 always applies.

The concept of a private citizen using a WML is best addressed in another thread. I would say only, if you're gonna mount a WML, carry a hand-held light as well -- Rule 2 always applies.
Honestly I'm still not totally convinced I need one but the prices are right on the basic lights, I just cant really know unless I buy and try . I have a couple nice handhelds I'm used to so I'm not certain Id actually carry a WML but rather curious about nightstand use or backpacking tent use. I think there is enough info in this thread that answered my questions so I'm all ears if there is any advice on learning to use a WML.

I keep a nightstand pistol w/WML. Just me and the wife (and dogs), so anyone coming into the house unexpectedly will be blinded by several hundred lumens and have a muzzle pointed at his/her/their chest(s).

Just know that with a good light, you can bounce the light off the ceiling or light up any room/hallway with the muzzle pointed at the floor (SUL or low ready). You don't need -- indoors -- to be pointing your handgun/long gun COM to identify a possible threat.

HD2.jpg

Just know that with a good light, you can bounce the light off the ceiling or light up any room/hallway with the muzzle pointed at the floor (SUL or low ready). You don't need -- indoors -- to be pointing your handgun/long gun COM to identify a possible threat.
yes, but from what Ive read I don't want to search with the WML but use the handheld. I think for me what I need to learn is the transition from handheld to turning on the WML once the target is identified. Ive always just practiced the Harris technique, thus why I'm not certain I need a WML. My buddy and I were talking about practicing some low light shooting within that half hour after sunset window sometime this summer, why Im considering adding a WML.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top